Double Entry Step - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Kevin . Can you tell us where you purchased your spa steps and are they heavy ? Pat
This isn't the "spa steps", but just wanted to let you know that this step worked great for us and is also easy to pack. It is one of the best additions we've made.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjusta.../dp/B00G258I0G
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi Kevin . Can you tell us where you purchased your spa steps and are they heavy ? Pat
Looks like these are it. Holds 300# (although reviews on Amazon say actual step says 350# max). Weighs 15#. The issue might be disassembly if you were looking to store this broken down. Amazon reviews say the fit is real tight when assembled.
http://www.amazon.com/Confer-Plastic...0026O5TLS?th=1
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
I like the look of the Camco!
Can u tell me where it lines up with the attached step on the trailer?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
This isn't the "spa steps", but just wanted to let you know that this step worked great for us and is also easy to pack. It is one of the best additions we've made.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjusta.../dp/B00G258I0G
Thankyou ! We do have a aluminum step but right now I figured why my knee keeps getting out of wack . For past 2 days have been working in trailer . It is not the climbing in , it's the climbing down . I think I want to try a 2 step . I found it in my swim catalog and Amazon . But again Thankyou Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Looks like these are it. Holds 300# (although reviews on Amazon say actual step says 350# max). Weighs 15#. The issue might be disassembly if you were looking to store this broken down. Amazon reviews say the fit is real tight when assembled.
Dave Thankyou ! That's the one will be here Wed in gray from Amazon . Hopefully stop tweaking my knee when I come out of trailer . Pat
Old 10-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Oh Dave just put in back of truck . Probably keep it there . Pat
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Has anyone used the spa step with the high axle? If so, can you tell me the distance from the top of the spa step to the floor of the trailer? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Has anyone used the spa step with the high axle? If so, can you tell me the distance from the top of the spa step to the floor of the trailer? Thanks.

Best I can do is tell you on my mid axle 5.0TA parked in the slightly sloped driveway, it's 9" from the top of the spa step to the trailer floor. I'd guess it'd be closer to 8" if it were parked somewhere level.

So you'd add 3" for the high lift I believe, 11 or 12"

Keep in mind the spa step shown above does not easily break down, I had to really stomp on it to get it to lock together. With the truck I can haul it around assembled with no problem, it's light but bulkie.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #29

Thank you. That's a long way from the top step to the floor!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have a regular Escape 21. I don't know how high the high axle is. My ground to floor in my driveway is 18 inches, my spa steps are 14 inches. So I have a 4 inch step from the top of the spa step to my trailer floor. I got the step from Amazon and we are very pleased with it having tried lots of other options. I guess if you figure 2 7 inch steps at 14 inches high, and that 14 inches from your ground to floor height you'll have your answer. Good luck
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I guess you really need to know the height of a new 17 from level ground to the floor. My 5.0TA is 21-22" as compared to bjp447's 21 at 18".
Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #32

The steps that came with the 21 had a final step into the trailer at almost 11 inches, but even with a 21 to 22 inche height you would still be within the standard 7 to 8 in step height with the spa at 14 inchs. The steps for the spa are 7 inches. We had a Casita prior to the escape with the raised axle (they turn the axle 180 degrees) and that had a 2 step so they stayed with the 7 or 8 inch step height. I never understood why the Escape had that large step height, you almost had to climb in.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
The steps that came with the 21 had a final step into the trailer at almost 11 inches, but even with a 21 to 22 inche height you would still be within the standard 7 to 8 in step height with the spa at 14 inchs. The steps for the spa are 7 inches. We had a Casita prior to the escape with the raised axle (they turn the axle 180 degrees) and that had a 2 step so they stayed with the 7 or 8 inch step height. I never understood why the Escape had that large step height, you almost had to climb in.
And that 11 in kills the knee leaving the trailer . Changed ours out to about 7 in step in or out with a aluminum step so 2 steps about 7 in each . Another forum member did this and gave me the idea . Pat
Old 03-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #34

How exactly did you add the aluminum step. My knees are shot so I did not need that drop either
Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #35

Quote:
How exactly did you add the aluminum step. My knees are shot so I did not need that drop either
I will take some pictures for you tomorrow. Basically bought a new step on Amazon which opens shorter distance to ground . Then the Aluminum step did cut a little off the bottom steps . It is separate and many owners own one , get you picture tomorrow for that too. At home because I originally bought the spa step now use that at home . Will take a picture of that too. At first couldn't figure what was messing up my knee , then a light bulb came on . Been camping and am in and out constantly in trailer . No more knee pain . The 11 in is too much for our old knees . In the morning , Pat
Old 03-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #36

Looking forward to it
The spa step works well for us but having less to
carry in the P/U would be a plus too. Have already had
one knee replaced (don't believe them when they tell you
it'll be as good as new - it isn't) so I am trying to avoid having
the other one done
Old 03-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #37

Double entry step

Quote:
Looking forward to it
The spa step works well for us but having less to
carry in the P/U would be a plus too. Have already had
one knee replaced (don't believe them when they tell you
it'll be as good as new - it isn't) so I am trying to avoid having
the other one done
what we now just use at home . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0015 2.jpg   DSC_0008 3.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #38

Double entry step

Quote:
what we now just use at home . Pat
I can look up the order number for the shorter trailer step if you want . I did make 2new holes to match up with the Escape attachment holes . I also had to cut 2 little pieces off the tails. I got new bolts and that was it. somewhere in my pictures I think I have pictures to better explain what I cut off. I did cut about 2 in off the aluminum step to shorten those legs too . Very easy . I have had no more pain in the knees anymore . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0011 2.jpg   DSC_0010 2.jpg   DSC_0009 3.jpg   DSC_0012 2.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #39

Quote:
I can look up the order number for the shorter trailer step if you want . I did make 2new holes to match up with the Escape attachment holes . I also had to cut 2 little pieces off the tails. I got new bolts and that was it. somewhere in my pictures I think I have pictures to better explain what I cut off. I did cut about 2 in off the aluminum step to shorten those legs too . Very easy . I have had no more pain in the knees anymore . Pat
The new step is Stromberg Carlson SMFP-1220 manual RV single step . They have it on Amazon price went up a little 49.74. The aluminum wide comfort step stool is also on Amazon 48.28 . Very lite weight and folds . Hope this helps no fun to be in pain . Pat
Old 03-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #40

There is also a new folding wide platform step that adjusts for several levels, each leg independently, from 6 3/4 " to 8 1/4 ". I've found it especially useful on uneven/sloping ground when I could adjust each leg for max stability.

Adjustable Leg Platform Step - Stromberg Carlson PA-250 - Steps - Camping World

And here's the measurement floor to ground for the 17 high axle: 22.25 inches.