Drilling a hole in the side of the trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape
I withdraw my suggestion of drilling halfway through with a spade bit. Not because it is a disaster, but because it is making a simple task too complicated.

I have been happy with the results of using a spade bit to drill holes in fiberglass when installing fittings on boats. The outer edges of the bit give a clean sharp cut through the gelcoat.

For holes larger than an inch I have used hole saws and they work, too, with precautions against chipping the gelcoat at the start. Taping, running the drill backward at the start, etc.

A little practice on scrap fiberglass or thin plywood will give you a feel for the touch.

Good luck. Measure twice.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too would use a hole saw, using a 1/8" pilot hole to start. With this small of a hole saw, I would use high speed on the drill and light pressure though holdingf it firm, as the gelcoat will tend to grab. The advantage of a hole saw, is the pilot bit not allowing the hole saw to wander. Not sure how wide the flange is on this inlet, but a wee bit of chipping on the edge is minor.

A stepped bit would be my second choice, as it too would hold solid in the hole as you penetrated.

I would not use a Forster bit, while it would make a nice clean hole, these bits are best used in a drill press, and have next to nothing of a pilot point. If you were to firmly tape a pre-drilled block of wood on like Ron described, it would be fine, but that is a lot of work for a simple hole. Mind you, the time it took to type this post took longer than drilling a hole would.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When I installed my port I used a 1/8" bit to start, a 1/4" after that (the size of the web on the largest drill I had on hand - a 5/8"), made the 5/8" hole. then used a rat tail file to finish the hole.

By the way, I also installed a tank wash system for the black tank - a 1 1/4" hole. I used a fine toothed hole saw with tape.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too would use a hole saw, using a 1/8" pilot hole to start. With this small of a hole saw, I would use high speed on the drill and light pressure though holding it firm, as the gelcoat will tend to grab. The advantage of a hole saw, is the pilot bit not allowing the hole saw to wander. Not sure how wide the flange is on this inlet, but a wee bit of chipping on the edge is minor.
I have done exactly this when I drilled a decent hole for my battery box vent and the hole comes out just fine. Anything that would typically be recessed and attached to the surface will have a flange that covers any small amount of chipping.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
One trick with a hole saw is to drill a pilot hole thru the fiberglass then use a hole saw with a smooth 1/4" bolt in place of the hole saw's pilot bit .
The bolt helps keep the hole saw centered and doesn't tear up the pilot hole and enlarge it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Mind you, the time it took to type this post took longer than drilling a hole would.
I have a similar comment for people I'm helping with a project when they protest that they really don't want to take up my time. "I could have just done it in the time we're taking talking about me helping you."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have a similar comment for people I'm helping with a project when they protest that they really don't want to take up my time. "I could have just done it in the time we're taking talking about me helping you."

Ron
I have hit this situation all the time training people. I like the quick learners.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I have hit this situation all the time training people. I like the quick learners.
As opposed to one very good but not a quick learner friend. He wanted to drill a hole in his wife's car fender. I gave him the drill and bit and off he went to the adjacent shop. After a while he returned and asked me if I could sharpen the drill bit. It really didn't require sharpening. I looked at the drill, guess what direction it was going.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As opposed to one very good but not a quick learner friend. He wanted to drill a hole in his wife's car fender. I gave him the drill and bit and off he went to the adjacent shop. After a while he returned and asked me if I could sharpen the drill bit. It really didn't require sharpening. I looked at the drill, guess what direction it was going. [emoji23]

Ron
You gave him the bit for drilling on the other side of the car.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I had a half a box of nails like that once , they had the heads on the wrong end . Luckily , I was able to use them on the other side of the house.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I had a half a box on nails like that once , they had the heads on the wrong end . Luckily , I was able to use them on the other side of the house.
Oh, Shoot. So that's what they're for. I've been throwing away nails right-n-left for years.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Well, Barry, I guess you got an earful on how to drill holes! Whew!
My offering is I just wanted to say your photos are beautiful! I really enjoy them. Looks like you use a touch of HDR?

Nice work!
Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
I just put a 3/4" hole in the side of mine.

I watched a number of vidoes online before I made my hole.

All masked the area with panters tape to stop chipout
and severl ran the drill in revers so the bit/holesaw did not take too aggressive a cut into the surface.

this worked very well for my install.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
By the way, I also installed a tank wash system for the black tank - a 1 1/4" hole. I used a fine toothed hole saw with tape.
Did you post about installing your black tank wash system? That's a project I would eventually like to tackle on our (yet to pick up) Escape 21. However I've only seen how-to-do-it postings on the Casita forum.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Did you post about installing your black tank wash system? That's a project I would eventually like to tackle on our (yet to pick up) Escape 21. However I've only seen how-to-do-it postings on the Casita forum.
Jon's mods to his 17 are generously documented and shared on his website, including the black tank rinse system install. You have to click on "Travel and Photo Webpage" under his signature in his posts and then once on the page scroll down to "Trailer Modifications".

Here it is direct:
Trailer Modifications

The black tank rinse is under "New Modifications for 2013".
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Thanks. That's a great source of Mod information.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would be very careful with the black tank rinse modification. I have installed them on other trailers that have the tank outside, underneath the trailer. In your Escape, the black tank is located inside the trailer, any leak, either rinsing or otherwise, could get messy.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #38

I wouldn't think a properly installed tank cleaner would be any more prone to leaking than any plumbing in the trailer.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
True, but most forum members are not installers and the numerous posts asking for help, bares witness to that fact. I find myself, as I age,that I make more mistakes than before.