Drilling a really big hole in fiberglass - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I can understand being cautious drilling or cutting holes but after the first few it gets easier !

Lots of good advice from Ron and others here.

I don't have experience on RV's but have drilled and cut many holes in FG boats.

On smaller holes I like to run the drill bit backwards at first to prevent it from taking too big a bite at first.

On holes for bolts to say hold a flange, I do a small counter sink to allow the sealant to squeeze in and get around the bolt.

On square or rectangular holes I like to try and have radius-ed corners to prevent a crack forming. At least 3/8" radius or bigger if possible. Large cutouts a 1 or 2" radius is nice if it will work with a hatch or whatever it is your installing.

So I'd drill the four corners first then cut the straight sides. Then use a sanding drum in drill to do a nice job blending the radius to the straight cuts.

Often I would cut a hole a bit shy and creep up on it with the sanding drum if was a critical fit.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
You are right on the timing Ron...the first one always takes twice as long to make and that does not include the planning.
Do you think for our 1st gen trailer , I could make use of the round inspection plate , the same one you used ? I have the heater that requires you to pull out to get to sail switch . Our heater is fine but some that have worked on theirs , is hard to get back in etc. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I really can’t comment if it would work as I don’t know the heater used and where the switch would be located in relation to body line in that area.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I really can’t comment if it would work as I don’t know the heater used and where the switch would be located in relation to body line in that area.
When I get a chance I can get you pictures and info o heater if that would help. Pat
Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know the answer either because in the 5 years we had the 19 the furnace was trouble free.

Someone who has pulled out their Gen 1 furnace and dealt with the sail switch would be the person who would know the answer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't know the answer either because in the 5 years we had the 19 the furnace was trouble free.

Someone who has pulled out their Gen 1 furnace and dealt with the sail switch would be the person who would know the answer.

Ron
Myron , Ron . Pat
Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i had to pull the gen 1 furnace on my 21, an access hole wouldn't have helped, as the sail switch side of the furnace is right up against the cabinetry under the fridge on the classic 21, the wheel wells, and the water fill ports and plumbing are squeezed in there too..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i had to pull the gen 1 furnace on my 21, an access hole wouldn't have helped, as the sail switch side of the furnace is right up against the cabinetry under the fridge on the classic 21, the wheel wells, and the water fill ports and plumbing are squeezed in there too..
Thanks John . Might be a little different in the 19 though . Yes our furnace is under the clothes closet . The wheel wells are next under the refrigerator . I made a cabinet under the closet , lots of space there . Oh heck need to go out and take a look later , can’t remember. I do know different then 21 though . Later . Pat
Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I do like the new furnace access on the exterior, but with the older style furnace being relatively easy to remove, why even bother with an access port?

I ask as in 10 years of Escape ownership I have never actually had to replace or dust off a sail switch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do like the new furnace access on the exterior, but with the older style furnace being relatively easy to remove, why even bother with an access port?

I ask as in 10 years of Escape ownership I have never actually had to replace or dust off a sail switch.
I know I never had to either but I was just asking . Pat
Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #31

"All you have to do is take the first steps, the rest will follow. The biggest hurdle for most folks is just taking the first step."

So true. I have procrastinated on some projects in the past because I anticipated a nightmare but once started it was often less painful than I thought it would be.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

That is reassuring. Perhaps I am seeking a solution to something that I will not experience or will not experience often.

We often hear about problems on the forum because the folks who have a problem want to share with others to seek a solution or to alert us. Unfortunately, there is no way to really know if any problem is a design flaw that everyone will experience, a common problem or a rare occurrence.

Thanks to all who have provided their thoughts and "words of wisdom".
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’d seriously doubt that everyone or even close to a majority are experiencing this problem or ETI would have been inundated and put out some type of remedy as they did with the early fridge issues.
One of the theories seems to be revolving around latest furnace design in combination with pet hair. If you aren’t traveling with pets that have a high shedding issue, you may never have the issue, We don’t know for sure, but there does seem to be some possible correlation to the sail switch problem and pets on these furnaces.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Since we travel with a trailer full of cats I wanted to head off potential sail switch problems and installed a screen filter on the intake behind the metal grate as soon as we got the trailer. On our first big trip the sail switch quit. When I removed it I found ONE HUMAN HAIR and nothing else - I blew the contact points out really well with compressed air and reinstalled it. Haven't had a recurrence of the problem yet, fingers crossed. But I carry a spare sail switch and with the external access panel it's quick and easy to remove and clean or replace so I'm not too concerned about it going forward.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my sailswitch was tangled up with some poly fibers that were probably from insulation. I vacuumed the area around the furnace when I pulled it.

btw, the old furnace is NOT that easy to pull, and harder to put back in, due to the exhaust port
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I think adding an air filter to the furnace is very smart regardless of any pets or not. Sounds like a spider web could cause a cold night.

When we had our orientation on our new trailer I asked ETI to sell me a sail switch for our furnace. Thought it was a good idea to carry a spare. That way I'm sure I have the right part.

My orientation in life is to be as self-sufficient as practical. Being an ex-sailor I have no problem carrying spares on board "just in case". Since picking the trailer up last July I've been outfitting it with spare axle seals, bearings, grease, fuses etc. Anything I consider consumables.

I would be interested if anyone has compiled a list of spares they carry on board their Escape.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Beer, whiskey, more beer, wine, poutine...
Old 12-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
How about something like this, a borescope endoscope: https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-YI...FNHQ3FH7DRRXZE

Earlier this summer I was kicking around the idea of drilling a small hole in the front or coming in from the bottom side cabinet of the blower section of the furnace. So if the switch gets hung up you can just give it nudge with the scope.

When I pulled ours I was surprised that the cabinet was very clean and dust bunny free. The sail switch passed a continuity test on the meter. I’m thinking ours got hung up due to the bumpy road we were traveling on. Scott

I LIKE BIKES!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #39

I have one of these only much longer. They work good...for $6. Free shipping, no tax.
1M 1.5M 5.5mm 7mm Endoscope Camera Flexible IP67 Waterproof Inspection Borescope Camera for Android PC Notebook 6LEDs Adjustable-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on AliExpress
Attached Thumbnails
7F5B0AC8-E842-4D0B-B417-0BCE51B1A145.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote