Driving with TV Attached to a swivel Arm? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Driving with TV Attached to a swivel Arm?

With my previous 19', I always detached our television from the swing arm while driving. Although not a big deal, it'd be nice to be able to safely secure it in place so that it wouldn't have to be taken down and reattached so often. Has anyone successfully devised a way to secure the TV while driving?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
With my previous 19', I always detached our television from the swing arm while driving. Although not a big deal, it'd be nice to be able to safely secure it in place so that it wouldn't have to be taken down and reattached so often. Has anyone successfully devised a way to secure the TV while driving?
Rich, my intent is to remove the TV with the arm, which can be done quickly and easily, then store the two together somewhere. As very often the TV will not be used at all, I don't want it in the way, physically or visually.

I bought one of these these arms that has two mounts, which can be mounted in either of the two locations we will have, one in the standard position by the loft, the other by the fridge at the dinette.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
TV secured

Rich, our 21 has the TV mounted to the bath wall and when we travel it is swung around facing the wall with a cloth over the screen area and then a bungee cord holds it tight to the wall. Several years and a lot of miles with no problems.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ours is mounted on the bulkhead to the left of the fridge in our 19, Rich. We just use a bungee cord to secure the TV/mount closed when underway. That wall is reinforced, with some hefty screws securing the mount. It's traveled thousands of miles without a problem.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
It's not the best picture, but if you zoom in on it you can see the pair of straps we use in Toto to secure our bulkhead-mounted TV when we're not watching it.

We bought the straps from Amazon (who else?). We liked the idea of using two straps run vertically (the strap is not sold in pairs). Because you can adjust the tension on the straps, it's easy for us to snug the TV right up to the wall.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I latch the arm back and stick a rolled up towel under the TV to help support it. So far so good. The bracket has a home position with a latch pin.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20141122_124803497_HDR.jpg   IMG_20141120_134610879_HDR.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
It's not the best picture, but if you zoom in on it you can see the pair of straps we use in Toto to secure our bulkhead-mounted TV when we're not watching it.

We bought the straps from Amazon (who else?). We liked the idea of using two straps run vertically (the strap is not sold in pairs). Because you can adjust the tension on the straps, it's easy for us to snug the TV right up to the wall.
Thanks, Doug. Your setup is exactly what I'm looking to achieve. I assume (with a fairly high degree of confidence) that the bulkhead wall is reinforced?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Thanks, Doug. Your setup is exactly what I'm looking to achieve. I assume (with a fairly high degree of confidence) that the bulkhead wall is reinforced?
Yes! It's definitely reinforced -- no way that panel would support much of anything without it.

We didn't originally have it reinforced, but after I bought the TV and mount a few months later, we got ETI to add the reinforcement when they swapped out our refrigerator (they also went ahead and installed the articulating mount for us).

It seems rock-solid and has survived many thousands of miles, and its share of bumps and jolts.

Hmmm, this is making me want to go camping. A little chilly right now, though.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found that mounting the tv in the rear "U" dinette caused some issues. Drpaddle's position means it has to be pulled out and tilted to the curb for viewing thereby causing the person on the streetside to sit forward in order to obtain the ideal viewing angle. Thus mounting it in the middle of the wall or at the rear by the window would also cause the same. If you mount it on the front corner and then extend it all the way to the corner and position it 45 degrees would allow everyone clear vision. When closed at this position it is identical to the picture posted.
Also depends on size of mount, but careful measuring can obtain the optimum location. In picture #1 it is not extended, just tilted, if extended it will fit back under the o/h in the corner. Also the corner mount allows viewing around the corner to the front, as in #2
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

Yeah, our setup is definitely "just for us." We have the the dinette set up as a lounge most of the time -- table in down position, filler board and extra cushion, as others have done -- and we sit sideways with our backs to the curbside cushion. Dogs hang out at our feet near the TV -- they don't much care for period dramas or zombie shows.

The two-piece arm on our articulating mount is particularly long, and we can pretty much put the TV at any angle we choose. For us it's usually all the way in front of (and parallel to) the streetside (awning) window.

We spent a LOT of time figuring out what we wanted and it took a lot of research to find a mount that would work that way. There's definitely no reason to assume our setup is right for anyone else.

And, of course, on a good day, the TV stays strapped in and we enjoy other pursuits. Good to have it for the football playoffs though!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

Speaking of tv, we went camping to W. Va on Superbowl weekend, it was about 5 degrees outside, no cable tv so I asked what time the local bar opened in order to watch the game, it seems we were in a dry county, bars are not open on Sunday, had to drive to a bowling alley to watch first half, then went back and listened to it on the radio.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I latch the arm back and stick a rolled up towel under the TV to help support it. So far so good. The bracket has a home position with a latch pin.
Is that a Master Mounts 404L? The reason I ask is that I am trying to mount a 22" in my 21' and running into problems.

I bought a MORryde TV1-025H based on reviews and that it had an 18" extension arm. Well, it really has a 14.5" extension arm not 18" and I can't figure a good way to mount it. I want to be able to watch tv from bed as well as swing it around and watch from the dinette. It will do it but only if I mount it such that when latched for travel, it sticks out 6" from the edge of the cabinet.

Your tv is mounted the way I would want it - I am just concerned about the strength of the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
TV locked.jpg   TV extended.jpg  
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #13

You need a smaller tv and move the mount in to the middle of the wall, so when closed it is at the edge.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
What size tv is this
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Is that a Master Mounts 404L? The reason I ask is that I am trying to mount a 22" in my 21' and running into problems.

I bought a MORryde TV1-025H based on reviews and that it had an 18" extension arm. Well, it really has a 14.5" extension arm not 18" and I can't figure a good way to mount it. I want to be able to watch tv from bed as well as swing it around and watch from the dinette. It will do it but only if I mount it such that when latched for travel, it sticks out 6" from the edge of the cabinet.

Your tv is mounted the way I would want it - I am just concerned about the strength of the mount.
It is the 404L.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is supposed to hold up to a 32" TV and 25 lbs. I did have to cut the plate down because it stuck up above the TV. This is the only one I could find that was long enough to swing all the way around. You must have the reinforced wall and use some hefty screws as there is a lot of torque on the base when the arm is extended to the side. The mount itself is plenty beefy.

Zig Ziglar
Old 01-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #16

Thanks! The MORryde is back in the box with a UPS return sticker attached.

I'll go by Camping World and take a look at the 404L. I have a $25 coupon from my Good Sam renewal that should make the price about right.

I'm curious about the 25" extension arms. Does the end of the extension arm stick out from the edge of the tv when in locked position?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Thanks! The MORryde is back in the box with a UPS return sticker attached.

I'll go by Camping World and take a look at the 404L. I have a $25 coupon from my Good Sam renewal that should make the price about right.

I'm curious about the 25" extension arms. Does the end of the extension arm stick out from the edge of the tv when in locked position?
I don't think the arm sticks out. The mounting plate does if you don't trim it depending on the TV. See this previous post No. 35:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ts-3512-4.html

Zig Ziglar
Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I found that mounting the tv in the rear "U" dinette caused some issues. 2
Did you have them reinforce that wall? We were told to mount the TV only at the edge. Yours looks as if it is not all the way to the edge, so reinforced?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #19

The issues I found with my arm n tv combo was optimal location for optimal viewing when open and having the ability to secure when closed for travel. Other than the edge mounting location caused this problems. The entire wall had been reinforced, so it should have been located anywhere.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't think the arm sticks out. The mounting plate does if you don't trim it depending on the TV. See this previous post No. 35:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ts-3512-4.html
Thanks Carl, I missed that thread when looking through search. The 404L does seem to be the best choice for a 21'.