Dump Valve mod - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #181

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like a great product for PVC pipe...unfortunately your trailer pipe is ABS and you should use ABS glue that dissolves/works with ABS.

My understanding is there is PVC glue, ABS glue and transitional glue for between the two products which this doesn’t appear to be.

Maybe up can find slow set ABS glue.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:29 PM   #182

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... I've worked with PVC/ABS before and the glue is unforgiving. I think that's what's holding me back.
So, do you think this stuff would work?
I'm already dreading dumping the tanks next Sunday after Spring NOG. That gray water valve is in the wrong dang place!
Hercules® Clear Heavy Body Slow Set Cement: https://www.oatey.com/products/hercu...ent-1509524372
I didn't know there was slow setting solvent cement - that's good information.

But this is PVC cement, so it would not be suitable for ABS (although it might work)... and Escape drain piping is ABS. The Oatey list of cements doesn't include any slow-set ABS products; it has one all-purpose cement (good for both PVC and ABS), but it is fast-set.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #183

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:

Hercules® Clear Heavy Body Slow Set Cement: https://www.oatey.com/products/hercu...ent-1509524372

I hope you do not use the glue you reference, it is only for PVC (white pipe) not ABS (black pipe).

I guess ETI made the mod after yours was made, our B/G handles are facing out.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #184
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I guess ETI made the mod after yours was made, our B/G handles are facing out.
Yeah, they did...

Sigh, after I posted I looked at the FAQs D'oh. On a motorcycle blog, someone posted putting the the glue in the refrigerator slows down the gluing time. Anyone try THAT? PLUS working in the cool morning or evening and not in the heat of the day. I'll keep searching, if I find anything SLOW for ABS, I'll let y'all know.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #185

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Okay group, I've been taking care of some long put off changes/maintenance to Ten Forward the last couple of days and this thread reminds me of another modification that I want to do. BUT, I've worked with PVC/ABS before and the glue is unforgiving. I think that's what's holding me back. Crooked, wrong elevation or the second part won't fit. Yes, I know to dry fit, but that glue!

So, do you think this stuff would work? Anybody used it? Supposedly there's about a 15 minute working time. Far better than seconds. Any downsides? When I do this mod, the trailer will sit for about a month before use, so the glue would definitely dry.

I'm already dreading dumping the tanks next Sunday after Spring NOG. That gray water valve is in the wrong dang place! Almost feel like I need to crawl under the trailer just to pull the handle. Sigh.

Donna you need abs cement . That is pvc not for abs . One thing that can help is replace one section the last with plumbing rubber connection and the two clamps . Gives you wiggle room . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Donna you need abs cement . That is pvc not for abs . One thing that can help is replace one section the last with plumbing rubber connection and the two clamps . Gives you wiggle room . Pat
Dave or anyone , what is proper name for connector , many have been using for the 21 sewer hookup problems .
Old 04-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #187
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, gotta use ABS cement. Got it. I saw someone used a rubber connection for the gray water. I'll look for it, that may be the solution. I'm not even ready to do this modification, but already feel the jitters about gluing everything together.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #188

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Dave or anyone , what is proper name for connector , many have been using for the 21 sewer hookup problems .
Fernco flexible coupling
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100058870
Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Dave , Thankyou Sir ! Pat
Old 04-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #190

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Donna, in situations similar to the one you are “dreading,” a trick I use is to “dry fit the parts together and get them to the exact position I desire. Then I mark the mating parts it the joining point with a small mark using a pencil (white PVC) or a yellow grease pencil (needed on black ABS). That way you can put the cement on both parts, pretty much align them correctly, and then make final positional adjustments within 10 seconds, thereby eliminating glue set-up problems. It also helps to use sandpaper to take sharp edges where one component fits into another, specifically the “male” component.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #191
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Donna, in situations similar to the one you are “dreading,” a trick I use is to “dry fit the parts together and get them to the exact position I desire. Then I mark the mating parts it the joining point with a small mark using a pencil (white PVC) or a yellow grease pencil (needed on black ABS). That way you can put the cement on both parts, pretty much align them correctly, and then make final positional adjustments within 10 seconds, thereby eliminating glue set-up problems. It also helps to use sandpaper to take sharp edges where one component fits into another, specifically the “male” component.
Thanks for the tips Carl, I appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #192

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
and then practice a couple of times assembling all the pieces.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #193

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Okay group, I've been taking care of some long put off changes/maintenance to Ten Forward the last couple of days and this thread reminds me of another modification that I want to do. BUT, I've worked with PVC/ABS before and the glue is unforgiving. I think that's what's holding me back. Crooked, wrong elevation or the second part won't fit. Yes, I know to dry fit, but that glue!

So, do you think this stuff would work? Anybody used it? Supposedly there's about a 15 minute working time. Far better than seconds. Any downsides? When I do this mod, the trailer will sit for about a month before use, so the glue would definitely dry.

I'm already dreading dumping the tanks next Sunday after Spring NOG. That gray water valve is in the wrong dang place! Almost feel like I need to crawl under the trailer just to pull the handle. Sigh.

The dump mod should be easy to do. Just dry fit the piping before using the ABS cement and everything should be fine.

After you get the dump mod done, you should have had enough practice with ABS to now be able do the kitchen sink Hepvo mod.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-12288.html
Old 04-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #194

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Okay group, ...
So, do you think this stuff would work? Anybody used it? Supposedly there's about a 15 minute working time. Far better than seconds. Any downsides? When I do this mod, the trailer will sit for about a month before use, so the glue would definitely dry...Hercules® Clear Heavy Body Slow Set Cement: https://www.oatey.com/products/hercu...ent-1509524372

Donna,
It is Listed for PVC, but not for ABS (the black fittings and pipe), so I would not use it.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #195
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Donna,
It is Listed for PVC, but not for ABS (the black fittings and pipe), so I would not use it.
Some solvents are the same in both glues, and since it's not a pressurized pipe, should be fine. Could also slather some ABS glue over the outside of the actual joint if concerned. MEK is a common solvent for both materials, too. Evaporates slower than acetone.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Donna,
I agree with you Don and use the proper glue . Pat
Old 10-07-2023, 06:53 AM   #197

Trailer: 2017 Casita custom solo traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There isn't any hose involved. Pipe and fittings are ABS and they are solvent cemented together to form a monolithic strong and leak free assembly. Or, to put it another way, sudden death if you don't get them in the right position, there is no second chance to re-position them.

Ron
Make sure to do a.dry fit and mark white lines across fitting pieces so you can line them up as you assemble with glue.
Franram is offline   Reply With Quote