Dump Valve mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Dump Valve mod

One aggravation, which I understand has since been changed, is having to kneel, reach in and awkwardly move the grey water tank dump valve sideways. Not only is it awkward but it pretty much means that I have to kneel down to do it. Kneeling down in some dump areas is not something that I like doing.

So I'm changing the existing valve assembly to one that has both valves facing out.

Pleasantly surprised to find my local small RV shop had the complete assembly at a good price, $63 complete, including two new valves.

Too wet to get to this mod this week. I don't have the exact dimensions yet but I anticipate that I'll end up with something like this. I'm not worried that the extra turns will slow the draining down. I think the slow draining at the end is caused by the side, rather than bottom, placement of the drain and that's not going to change.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this mod.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0004_resize.JPG   IMGP0005_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Looks like a good mod.
Kneeling at a sani-dump. No thanks. I crouch but my knees don't like it.
Will the hose connection be snug between the 2 valves?
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, it has been changed and that was certainly a big improvement. Your mod will no doubt be good for the hundreds of older units, anyone who cares to fix theirs.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 17B
I had ETI do that mod after I purchased my used 17. Getting down on my artificial knees was a pain in more than just them!
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Will the hose connection be snug between the 2 valves?
There isn't any hose involved. Pipe and fittings are ABS and they are solvent cemented together to form a monolithic strong and leak free assembly. Or, to put it another way, sudden death if you don't get them in the right position, there is no second chance to re-position them.

Ron
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There isn't any hose involved.
I believe sleepy meant room for connecting/disconnecting the waste hose. Looks like plenty of room to me but it will be a little tighter on the gray tank side based on the spacing.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone feel like taking a photo of the new values from the ground looking up? The gray water valve handle broke off on one side this past summer on Ten Forward, so it's due to be replaced. Maybe I'll just replace the entire assembly...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe sleepy meant room for connecting/disconnecting the waste hose. Looks like plenty of room to me but it will be a little tighter on the gray tank side based on the spacing.
Yes, I was inquiring about the space to attach the sewer hose.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Anyone feel like taking a photo of the new values from the ground looking up?
Just for you Donna, here is a photo of my virgin plumbing.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
2017 21' front and below pics. It's not a 5.0 TA but it should be the same for the grey tank connections.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170304_100458.jpg   IMG_20170304_100513.jpg  
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Most excellent! To those that shared, thanks for the pics. Now, I need to get under Ten Forward and see what's what. Think I'll wait until it stops raining though.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Yes, I was inquiring about the space to attach the sewer hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just for you Donna, here is a photo of my virgin plumbing.

There doesn't appear to be a problem attaching the sewer hose. This is a mainstream product installed on thousands of trailers.

Virgin plumbing, how about virgin bottom. All that bare shiny f.g. makes me shiver. Adding sheet foam really does make for a warmer floor.

Interesting that the output is sloped slightly down. I can see the advantage to that. Thanks for the photo.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0006_resize.JPG  
Old 03-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Most excellent! To those that shared, thanks for the pics. Now, I need to get under Ten Forward and see what's what. Think I'll wait until it stops raining though.
I'll second that. I looked out, saw it wasn't raining and thought that I'd get out there and hold the valve up and see what I needed to do. Then I saw the ice on the sun deck. Maybe later.

For the record this is a Valterra product. It's name is "Double Ell Rotating Valve Assembly". How's that for a mouth full. Part number is 11-0634. Without the valves it's 11-0661. But the cost to get 2 new valves was so little it didn't make sense to get it without.

Ron
Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Virgin plumbing, how about virgin bottom. All that bare shiny f.g. makes me shiver. Adding sheet foam really does make for a warmer floor.

Interesting that the output is sloped slightly down. I can see the advantage to that. Thanks for the photo.

Ron
I do plan to keep my virgin bottom intact and warm with a similar system to what you used.

I just tipped it down for the photo. The output rotates from straight out to straight down. Another nice improvement by Escape to how they used to do it.

Speaking of changes to the way that Escape now does things, and the things they do, what a huge difference from 2009 with improvements in quality, features and some workmanship too. Quite impressed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just tipped it down for the photo. The output rotates from straight out to straight down.
Be careful about rotating the fitting. The valve seal will tear and leak if you rotate the fitting unless you loosen the bolts attaching the valve first. Before I could catch him, the guy doing the orientation at Escape turned mine to show me how it worked - and now it leaks. After I got the trailer home, I took the fitting off and sure nuff, the seal was torn.

Casita has been using these for years and has had the same problem. Per Gene (Webmaster) at Casita Forum:

"I will add once again - I personally spoke with the technical dept at Valterra and they said NOT to rotate the valve that the swivel was designed only for installation purposes by the RV manufacturer to be able to adjust it to their specific installation and then the bolts were to be snugged up and left in that position. Do what you want but that is what it is designed for.
Gene"

I'll paraphrase Gene - Do what you want but they are not designed to be rotated ad hoc. My experience is that if you do that enough, your valves WILL leak. If you do it with a dry valve like the guy at Escape, it will leak immediately.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #16

Thanks for that. I like the fact that I can put a very slight downwards slope on the output but once it's in position that's it, I'll lock it in position.

If I did want to keep it's position flexible I'd take it apart and coat the seals with silicone grease. Calm done Donna, all silicone's not bad.

Ron
Old 03-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for that. I like the fact that I can put a very slight downwards slope on the output but once it's in position that's it, I'll lock it in position.

If I did want to keep it's position flexible I'd take it apart and coat the seals with silicone grease. Calm done Donna, all silicone's not bad.

Ron
Plumbers grease would work great. Water does not affect it.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #18

Trailer: None now
Are they aware that it is a nono to rotate it or do we need to be vigilant when we go up in April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Be careful about rotating the fitting. The valve seal will tear and leak if you rotate the fitting unless you loosen the bolts attaching the valve first. Before I could catch him, the guy doing the orientation at Escape turned mine to show me how it worked - and now it leaks. After I got the trailer home, I took the fitting off and sure nuff, the seal was torn.

Casita has been using these for years and has had the same problem. Per Gene (Webmaster) at Casita Forum:

"I will add once again - I personally spoke with the technical dept at Valterra and they said NOT to rotate the valve that the swivel was designed only for installation purposes by the RV manufacturer to be able to adjust it to their specific installation and then the bolts were to be snugged up and left in that position. Do what you want but that is what it is designed for.
Gene"

I'll paraphrase Gene - Do what you want but they are not designed to be rotated ad hoc. My experience is that if you do that enough, your valves WILL leak. If you do it with a dry valve like the guy at Escape, it will leak immediately.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
2017 21' front and below pics. It's not a 5.0 TA but it should be the same for the grey tank connections.
Tom: Is it the angle, because that gray line looks like it slopes up slightly? Coupled with the side connection it will be very hard to completely empty unless you get the far side of the trailer elevated.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Coupled with the side connection it will be very hard to completely empty unless you get the far side of the trailer elevated.
Yes, Jim's photo in post #9 shows the situation. Wide flat bottom tank with the side drain. Once the water level gets down to about the 1 1/2" level the cross-sectional area of the drain diminishes. The last bit seems to take forever. So, yes, if the dump site doesn't slope towards the drain, driving up onto blocks can make for quicker draining.

Ron