E21 Boondock ready with supplemental 20gal water tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
E21 Boondock ready with supplemental 20gal water tank

Just installed a 20 gal. tank on the port side of E Ticket. It is filled via the shore pressured side of the water system separated with a ball valve. I used the winterizing port and diverter valve to access this tank. So I would deplete this 20 gal tank first and switch to the main tank afterwards.

I planned to fill this axillary tank at the last town before the boondock location so as to minimize hauling extra 168lbs.

Since I took out the 55lbs house battery and traded the aft weight will this 168lbs of water, I am only adding 113 lbs or so aft of the axles. This might help offset and lessen the tongue weight a little.

E Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I found that my thirty gallon water tank will last me about eight days. That's with showering every other day with the standard shower head and traveling alone. FYI

A few months ago I installed an Oxgenics shower head but I haven't used it enough to detect a difference. It is supposed to save water.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Hi Mike, nice that you can make your water stretch out to 8. I have a 13 year old daughter with long hair. She is still learning to be frugal about water. And somethings, I go out with a few rock climbing friends whom I really want them to shower thoroughly .

My stock tank is 28 gal, does your Escape have a 30 gal as an added option at the time?
Old 10-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

A few months ago I installed an Oxgenics shower head but I haven't used it enough to detect a difference. It is supposed to save water.
We installed one two summers ago and found that it used more water.
We took it out.
Maybe it was the wrong model.

It was this one

ETL 26781 White Body Spa Oxygenics Shower with 60" Hose
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's the same as the one I installed. The gain for us is that the Oxygenics has a shutoff on it, the original did not.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's the same as the one I installed. The gain for us is that the Oxygenics has a shutoff on it, the original did not.
That makes sense. Our original has a shut off. Actually it just shuts down to a piddle.
We saved water by using soft soap rather than bar soap and using a spray pump bottle for blasting off food scraps from plates and cleaning coffee mugs rather than a sink of sudsy water and a rinse. It works most of the time.
And the morning washcloth to clean your face is preped by putting it in a bowl with the unused water out of the kettle when you have made your morning coffee.
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have the stock fresh water tank on my 2014 Escape 21, and I think it's 30 gallons, but I didn't check. I need to correct myself-- I'm good for about a week with the fresh water and tend to go eight to nine days before the gray water tank is full.

My original shower head had a shutoff. I don't remember why I bought the Oxgenics-- I think I read reviews here that said it saved water. It works fine, but its hose is too long imo.

If anyone is in the Pensacola area, the Gander Outdoors there is having a clearance sale with 40% off of RV and camping stuff. They had several of the Oxgenics shower heads on the shelf.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We replaced our original shower head with the oxgenics with shut off . For 2 showering instead of 4 gal used for 2showers ,it cut the water use in half to about 2 gal used . Important mod for us with only a 20 gal fresh tank . We can carry a Addison all 20 gal with portable water if needed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
It works fine, but its hose is too long imo.
Mine was too, changed to this one. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...ustomerReviews

The top review for it is mine. 4 years and still working fine.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We replaced our original shower head with the oxgenics with shut off . For 2 showering instead of 4 gal used for 2showers ,it cut the water use in half to about 2 gal used . Important mod for us with only a 20 gal fresh tank . We can carry a extra 20 gal portable water if needed . Pat
Also changed to a stainless hose . The vinyl hose is hard to handle . Too stiff
Old 10-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
We saved water by ... using a spray pump bottle for blasting off food scraps from plates and cleaning coffee mugs...
We wipe the plates off with a paper towel, often the same one we used as a napkin, as soon as we finish eating... that way they clean up much easier. Then yeah, trigger sprayer of 10:1 diluted dish soap, sponge wipe, quick rinse, done.

I tend to use a stainless thermos mug for my coffee and just give it a quick rinse, I drink my coffee black, so don't feel the need to wash it daily. of course, mugs offered to visitors get cleaned after each use
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #14

If no hookups and need to be conservative with our water , have a dish pan and instead of fresh water for toilet , use the dish pan water to flush with . Pat
Old 10-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Ticket View Post
Hi Mike, nice that you can make your water stretch out to 8. I have a 13 year old daughter with long hair. She is still learning to be frugal about water. And somethings, I go out with a few rock climbing friends whom I really want them to shower thoroughly .

My stock tank is 28 gal, does your Escape have a 30 gal as an added option at the time?
Great Mod, even without a 13 year old traveling with us this is the one option I wish Escape had and it is a project I'm considering for my e19. We usually travel during the summer biking and hiking and a quick shower at the end of the day makes a huge difference. Seeing as so many here on the forum prefers camping of grid, maybe Escape should consider offering a "Bondoking Edition" option that will include larger fresh and gray water tanks with some of the individual options already available.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Great Mod, even without a 13 year old traveling with us this is the one option I wish Escape had and it is a project I'm considering for my e19. We usually travel during the summer biking and hiking and a quick shower at the end of the day makes a huge difference. Seeing as so many here on the forum prefers camping of grid, maybe Escape should consider offering a "Bondoking Edition" option that will include larger fresh and gray water tanks with some of the individual options already available.
Me too , the extra or bigger tanks , fresh being the number one . Our previous camper had a 35 gal fresh tank and it was only a 9 1/2 truck camper . Pat
Old 10-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
We started using these containers last year as an added water supply.
When we boondock we can fill them in town and transfer to the trailer tanks.
Still have to manage the waste water, and dump as necessary, but it extends our stay in places, and they take little space when folded flat and stored

https://smartbottleinc.com/?gclid=Cj...refdom=adwords
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My grandson goes with us on some longer trips. He’s a good kid but could live in a shower if you’d throw him a sandwich once in a while. So when he takes a shower we manage the pump for him. He calls out “water on”or “water off” and one of us hits the switch. Once he gets his temp right, it’s good for the whole shower and he doesn’t have to mess with the button or the handles. As previously mentioned we do the following
1. Decant grey water into the black water tank for extra capacity.
2. Carry extra jugs which we fill in the last place we stop before camping if we sense a need.
3. Are happy when there’s a campground sign allowing us to drain grey water into the brush.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I generally carry one or two 'water cooler' style 5G water bottles for drinking water, along with a "Dolphin" brand pump dispenser..... when my trailer water tanks have run low, I've filled the 'empty' one at the campground spigots and pumped it into the trailer tank, using a piece of 1/2" clear vinyl hose to go from the Dolphin to the tank filler inlet... 3 rounds of this is 15 more gallons in the tank.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hi John.
Yeah, I have been on the same idea for years, but I now use the plunger plastic hose that truckers use for transferring fuel.Have a couple of those pumps but I seem to beat them up to much so they don't last.The plunger works like a charm.
Travel safe.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote