Economical 15 A design - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We tow our 17B with a Highlander, and also try to keep our weight down as much as possible. If you are trying to save money, my advice would be to give Up the hot water heater, as it is so easy to heat water for dishes and washing. I would also suggest not getting the extra hatch. We got one, but it is now covered up by the storage box which we love. We have the dual 6V batteries, LEDs and solar, and as others have mentioned, never worry about electricity. Again, if you are watching your pennies, wire for solar, and add the panel later. I would also go for the extra insulation and thermal windows. We have never used our hitch wheel either. Good luck!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Without the hot water heater, it's cold showers...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Good point Baglo, I guess if you have the shower, you need the heater...unless you go with the solar bag that you hang in a tree...but that's getting carried away!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
Hi Jane,
We love our 15A and are fine with using bathroom facilities provided at campgrounds (mostly dry camping). We've moved up from a tent, and our Cozy Rosie seems like luxury! When we need hot water we heat it on the stove, avoiding the cost and weight of a grey water tank. A short hose and 5 gal. container suffices. Our porta potty sits in it's little cabinet under the dinette, unused--just in case.
The extra insulation pkg. is well worth the $$. --warmer in the cool weather, cooler on the warm days---and less moisture on the walls. Plus a bit less extraneous noise if you end up in a noisy campground.
The LEDs and the solar panel work great. We went with the 2 6 V batteries which are mounted in the exterior storage box. Our exterior hatch never gets used and we wouldn't get this option again. We have a permanent bed (raised up a bit) with 2 doors underneath---giving us lots of storage for extras---bedding, food, chairs, etc.
We pull with a RAV4 and did end up getting an equilizer hitch after a few trips and now enjoy greater stability and a more level tow.
Good luck on your decisions.
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Thanks Everyone, for your very helpful advice and offers. I think I have my order ready. Between the forum folks and the Escape team, I have gathered all of the information for my design. I can't wait until March 2013 to pick it up! This will give me plenty of time to learn to back up a trailer..... (I'll try not to ask for too much advice on that),

Almost final design:
Bike rack hitch (want the option to carry light loads on the back, would love the front fiberglass storage but can't afford)

Brake Controller
Dual 6V Batteries
Dual Propane
Ext access hatch
Ext propane quick connect
High lift axle
Hot H20 tank (hot shower is kind of a 'must have' with 10 day dry camping)
LED pkg

More than I wanted to spend but there are so many nice options and I think this will suit me for years to come.

Thanks Again!

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Don't forget to put yourself on the Escape owner's map!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #27

Oops almost forgot - due to the great suggestions from the forum I am getting the trailer wired for solar and will buy a panel at some time.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #28

My buddy Keath has the propane quick connect on his 19'.
He's never used it, but he does worry about breaking it off on a rutted road or trail. ( I note you plan to travel off-road ).
I don't have it for the following reasons. You are restricted by the hose where you put the BBQ and it's something to trip over. And you have to coil up and store a potentially wet and muddy hose.
I have a 10 lb. propane tank for the BBQ and you can get a 5 lb if you want to go even more compact.
You'll now hear lots of contrary opinions...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not from me. I, too, am getting a 15A and decided to forego the exterior quick connect for the same reasons. It's expensive plus one has to buy a regulator for a camp stove anyway so it's just as easy to hook up to a 5-pounder and put the stove where you want it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
My buddy Keath has the propane quick connect on his 19'.
He's never used it, but he does worry about breaking it off on a rutted road or trail. ( I note you plan to travel off-road ).
I don't have it for the following reasons. You are restricted by the hose where you put the BBQ and it's something to trip over. And you have to coil up and store a potentially wet and muddy hose.
I have a 10 lb. propane tank for the BBQ and you can get a 5 lb if you want to go even more compact.
Yep, here comes the contrary.

I finally got around to getting a BBQ, and hooking it up to the quick connect early this spring. LINK of the review.

I have now used it this whole camping season, and I can't believe I never did it sooner. It is the epitome of convenience for using a BBQ while RVing. We just love this setup.

There is no issue at all with the hose, it coils up small and stows nicely, and no issue tripping on it at all. Whereas a bottle would always be in the way when stowed, and when in use.

Being hooked up the the twin tanks, there is little chance of running out either.

On a 17 day trip with friends this summer, they seldom pulled out their BBQ and bottle, instead opting to use ours. They are getting a new motorhome made for them right now, and were so impressed with our setup, they are getting a quick coupling installed.

The only negative to it at all is how the connection is installed. I would like to see it a bit better protected, and have plans to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Rosie View Post
Hi Jane,
We love our 15A....

We pull with a RAV4 and did end up getting an equilizer hitch after a few trips and now enjoy greater stability and a more level tow.
Good luck on your decisions.

Cozy Rosie, I see that you smartly ended up with a weight distributing hitch and you could see the difference. Andy Thomson of RV Lifestyle has written numerous pieces on just about every aspect of this subject. I gather from what he says that he would put a WDH on every Escape out there except maybe the ones pulled by big trucks (not sure he would not even include those). According to Thomson, the difference that a WDH makes is dramatic and he is including small trailers down to tent or pop-outs.

He has also done track tests where he concluded that a WDH vastly cut down on any possible out-of-control swaying and even sounded as if it would be impossible to have such a situation with a WDH. Thomson's articles are partial unless you subscribe to their magazine out of Ontario.

When someone says that you don't need a WDH, you may not if you have a great big truck or if you don't care about stability and maybe saving your life.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #32

Hmm - guess I have more research to do on the propane quick connect. I was under the impression that you could disconnect the connector when not in use and the valve would then be flush with the side of the trailer. The picture on the Escape accessories web page shows that it does stick out.

Will have to weigh the pockie outie connector VS buying a 4# propane tank for the outdoor stove and bbq.

Gbags - I agree - I can picture myself and the dog or both tripping over the hose. But I do like the idea of not having another tank to haul around.

When I first considered buying a trailer a friend told me 'everything is a tradeoff'. How true that is!!

At least it is nice to have options. I remember camping as a kid and cooking (burning) food over a fire grill. Then graduating to very old style colman stove with the fuel cannister and spilling coleman fuel everywhere. Thanks for the info - more to think about.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
At least it is nice to have options. I remember camping as a kid and cooking (burning) food over a fire grill. Then graduating to very old style colman stove with the fuel cannister and spilling coleman fuel everywhere. Thanks for the info - more to think about.
This reminded me of the old coleman stove joke!

A guy jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on his back. As he's falling he realizes his chute is broken, now he doesn't know anything about parachutes really, but as the earth rapidly approaches he realizes his options are limited, he takes off the parachute and tries to fix it himself on the way down. The wind is ripping past his face, he's dropping like a rock, and at 5000 feet another guy goes shooting Up past him. In desperation, our man with the chute looks up and yells, "Hey do you know anything about parachutes?!?!?" The guy flying up looks down and yells, "NO, do you know anything about Coleman gas stoves!?!?!

Naptha can be very scary in the wrong hands!!!

Cheers,
Glenn
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #34

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, here comes the contrary.
On a 17 day trip with friends this summer, they seldom pulled out their BBQ and bottle, instead opting to use ours. They are getting a new motorhome made for them right now, and were so impressed with our setup, they are getting a quick coupling installed.
Your friends are no dummies.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Congratulations Jane. You will love it!! Happy camping.

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 15B
Another option for you to consider, Jane, is a coupler that allows you to refill a small propane cylinder from a large tank and use the refilled cylinder on your BBQ. Go here for a description: Home. This would allow you to use the propane you carry around and not need an extra coupler installed underneath your 15A.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #37

My understanding is that there are systems sold you can refill a 1 lb. container, but it is not advised. Which is why it says not to refill on the containers I've bought. A 5 lb. propane tank lasts a long time and is a safer option. I carry a couple 1 lb. tanks just in case.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Your friends are no dummies.
No, they are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
Another option for you to consider, Jane, is a coupler that allows you to refill a small propane cylinder from a large tank and use the refilled cylinder on your BBQ. Go here for a description: Home. This would allow you to use the propane you carry around and not need an extra coupler installed underneath your 15A.
I have one of those, Jim. I tried using it while out camping, and got very little into the cylinder. I researched and found that if you put the cylinder in the freezer for a while, it will take more propane. I did try that, and it worked better, but still did not seem to last very long. In the end I gave it up. For the time it took, it just was not worth it to me. I could go to work for an extra hour, and compensate for 5 hours saving money filling the cylinders. Plus, it was no fun, and I want to spend as much of my time having fun as possible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennrose View Post
This reminded me of the old coleman stove joke!

A guy jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on his back. As he's falling he realizes his chute is broken, now he doesn't know anything about parachutes really, but as the earth rapidly approaches he realizes his options are limited, he takes off the parachute and tries to fix it himself on the way down. The wind is ripping past his face, he's dropping like a rock, and at 5000 feet another guy goes shooting Up past him. In desperation, our man with the chute looks up and yells, "Hey do you know anything about parachutes?!?!?" The guy flying up looks down and yells, "NO, do you know anything about Coleman gas stoves!?!?!

Naptha can be very scary in the wrong hands!!!

Cheers,
Glenn
Good one, Glenn!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 15-A
In my case, Reace arranged for an adaptor which screws right onto one of the 20 lb propane tanks. I then went to a local hose industrial hose company and had them make me a 20 foot hose that screws into the adaptor with quick connects on the business end and two 3 foot hoses to go to the Coleman stove and the Weber. No muss, no fuss and you always have propane without dragging around an extra cylinder. Also a bit more environmentally friendly then the 1 lb bottles. Note: The Coleman will not work on the low pressure fitting as it require high pressure to work. The Weber will if you remove the pressure regulator.

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote