Eight days to Chilliwack! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
ashleymeadow

Eight days to Chilliwack!

Next Tuesday, December 8th, Bettina and I go to "Escape Country" to pick up our 17B. We are getting quite excited!

Ours has a few custom things:

We ordered only one propane tank and will be bringing up a Cabela's truck box for fitting on the front. Reace had a welder build a mount for the 13 wide by 17 high box. It is 68 inches long and is that diamond plate aluminum material. It should act as a stone guard as well as a good place for chairs and other bulky light things.

We also bought our own fabric for the seats, and Bettina is making a bed spread to match. We also have a different Formica counter top material that matches the fabric, and it is a slate finish.

Reace put in a couple of extra 120V outlets and two extra 12V outlets. It seems that we never have enough when we travel. The computer, the cell phone, and GPS can all work off of the cigarette lighter type outlet, so we should now have enough.

Instead of a closet next to the door, Reace put in four drawers. We life drawer space. It seems that we never have hanging things, and if we do, we can leave them in the car.

I also bought a new car to pull the trailer, now known as Serendipity. It is a 2010 Subaru Outback 3.5R. The six cylinder engine develops 256 hp with 247 pounds of torque. Subaru now rates this model with a 3,000 lb. towing capacity. It should handle the trailer without a problem - I hope. I could not use the class I factory hitch, so I got a Curt class III, but getting the brake controller installed is another story. The hitch shop in Chilliwack will finish the job. My 2004 VW Touareg had just 225 hp, and we pulled a 26 foot Aerolite with it. It was slow over the mountains, but did the job. VW rated that vehicle at 7500 pounds of tow weight!

After we get it home to Whidbey Island, WA (about 100 miles from Chilliwack), I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Jerry
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Re: Eight days to Chilliwack!

Congrats Jerry. What a nice holiday season treat to finally get to pick up your new Escape. Sounds like you've got it set up nicely - I agree with you re: getting more power outlets. We did the same thing and are sure glad we did. Looking forward to seeing some pics of Serendipity. Safe travels.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Congratulations!
How exciting. We'll all be looking forward to pictures!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Serendipity... WOW only 8 days to "The Big Chill.".The 100mi. home should only take a few more days!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Congratulations Jerry and Bettina!

Wow, Whidbey Island! That was our first stop after picking up our Escape last June. What a beautiful place...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Congrats on getting your new trailer, Jerry. Just one week away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

What a nice Christmas present! Take a big red bow with you : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Post some pictures of that tool box, my parents trailer is have the same box mounted in front also. In fact, it is currently being built, so you should see it in the production line...take some of pictures of that too if you get a chance. Have fun with the trailer!
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape17

Congratulation Jerry...

I'm very happy for you......we just can't wait to pick our next summer...it will be a long winter....

Pat
patjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
Anyone have contact information for "ashleymeadow" or "Jerry" or whomever the original poster was here? Seems they are a "guest" not a member?

They seem to indicate they have a 17 and an Outback and have looked at various hitch options. I'm considering the same trailer/TV combo but want to make sure it's comfortable, legal and above all safe. The hitch rating of the Outback is my main concern. There are hitches rated higher than the factory hitch's 200lbs, but want to make sure it's still practical, legal and safe to exceed that 200lbs limit with the proper upgraded hitch. Will check with "The hitch shop in Chilliwack" and Escape for their advice.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will need to contact ETI and ask them for that info, since they have not followed up, hopefully everything is okay with their tow set up?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will need to contact ETI and ask them for that info, since they have not followed up, hopefully everything is okay with their tow set up?
Good idea, I'll ask ETI about Ouback TV owners when I contact them.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Dylanear, have you checked out the Subaru Outback Forums? They have a wealth of info regarding towing with your Subaru.
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Yep, googling the subject has lead to good conversation on hitch options on the Sube/Outback forums. But I'd like to hear from people with this exact combo if possible. Not much info on fiberglass RVs in this weight range on the Sube forums. Some good info on the FiberglassRVs site too for similar trailers, but not Escape 17s exactly.