Electric Powered RV Mast - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Leon, using something like that bulkhead connector is what I was thinking, and to have it install in the same waterproof hatch as a bunch of other connectors. I think one single box would look better than a bunch of separate connectors.

Regardless, I will definitely take up your suggestion of consulting with JavaTech before I do anything. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Could you not replace the inlet Reace installed with something like you mentioned?
I think I could -- perhaps something like those Bullfinch utility points you mention. I don't know if the satellite connector would work or not. I am sure Mike Lewis knows more about this stuff than I do, but my understanding is that the Jefa tech stuff is 50 ohm (I know that is what my antenna is), while the TV cabling is 75 ohm. My recollection is that 75ohm cable/connections aren't good for things that both transmit and receive, like a wifi repeater antenna. Mike,or someone who knows more about radio signals, could you comment on this?

Bullfinch is a UK company -- do you know if they ship to the US, or even Canada?
Thanks for pointing them out.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Bullfinch is a UK company -- do you know if they ship to the US, or even Canada?
They do not offer a shipping option outside of the UK, but I just sent them an email. Regardless, there is are eBay resellers that will ship to Canada.

Here is one on .ca
http://stores.ebay.ca/Car-Parts-In-M...sid=1193121968

And the same one on .com
clutch kit, brake disc items in Parts In Motion store on eBay!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am sure Mike Lewis knows more about this stuff than I do, but my understanding is that the Jefa tech stuff is 50 ohm (I know that is what my antenna is), while the TV cabling is 75 ohm. My recollection is that 75ohm cable/connections aren't good for things that both transmit and receive, like a wifi repeater antenna. Mike,or someone who knows more about radio signals, could you comment on this?
The characteristic impedance is not related to whether or not the signal is bi-directional; however, it is true that 75 ohm is commonly used in video applications while 50 ohm is common in two-way radio applications. The important part is simply that all parts - connectors, cable, and the electronic devices - match in impedance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
What effect does an impedence mismatch have on TV reception? Does it weaken the signal via internal reflection, or could it also damage equipment? It's something I'd never do with ham or cellular equipment, but with TV reception I wonder if you can get away with having 50-ohm and 75-ohm components on one TV antenna line. I have been told that it's not really a big deal, but I'm doubtful.

I'm expecting a vigorous response from the engineers on the forum.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What effect does an impedence mismatch have on TV reception? Does it weaken the signal via internal reflection, or could it also damage equipment?
It will certainly reduce transmission by reflection. I would only expect damage with a transmitter, but I'm only guessing about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
It's something I'd never do with ham or cellular equipment, but with TV reception I wonder if you can get away with having 50-ohm and 75-ohm components on one TV antenna line. I have been told that it's not really a big deal, but I'm doubtful.
I'm doubtful, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned above, this is what I am considering.
Jim - where did you find that blank backed hatch?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim - where did you find that blank backed hatch?
It is from Nuova Rade, a European company (why do they get all the good stuff?). I found it when looking for options for outdoor showers, but the selection to North America seems slim. There s THIS larger model on eBay, but that is too big for my likinly, though maybe it could double to hold cables?

Utility Hatches Oval 120x210mm

Nuova Rade has lots of good options for the exterior, though most are designed for marine use, they can easily be adapted to our trailers.

http://www.nuovarade.com/products.php?categoryId=36
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #88

There are also tons of marine hatches out there that are just the door itself, and one could easily make an inside box to work for a bulkhead.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's called a Flag Pole to Go 20' I got it cheaper on Amazon.
[URL]https://flagpolesetc.com/flagpoles/telescoping/flagpole-to-go/flagpole-go-portable-telescoping-aluminum-flagpole-20-ft-fp-21[/URL

The holder requires a rubber plug to get the pole centered in the holder. I picked that up at Lowe's <$5. Lemme see if I can find the information.
Donna, any chance you could snap a quick pick of the "rubber plug?" I'm having a hard time imagining it (maybe not enough coffee yet). No rush and THANKS!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #90
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Donna, any chance you could snap a quick pick of the "rubber plug?" I'm having a hard time imagining it (maybe not enough coffee yet). No rush and THANKS!
Oh crumb, I forgot. Lemme fire up the ole laptop...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #91
Site Team

Well dang, I can't find the specifics. But it's like this, use in plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
gasket.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #92

Quote:
Well dang, I can't find the specifics. But it's like this, use in plumbing.
Ah, I see. Thank you! So, I take it you cut a hole in it the diameter of the mast? The photo really helped me understand - thanks again.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ah, I see. Thank you! So, I take it you cut a hole in it the diameter of the mast? The photo really helped me understand - thanks again.
I just cut an "X" in mine and slide the pole in. I think foam pipe insulation may work too. Cheap enough, about a buck for a 8' length. It doesn't need to fit really tight, just tight enough not to lay over or wobble
Old 04-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #94
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Foam pipe would fatigue with wind blowing the mast around. The rubber end stop with an "X" would hold up better.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ok radio experts, I need some advice. I am currently considering getting just the TV ready package on our 21, so I would have one coax jack on the outside of the trailer.

I am looking at this antenna Antenna as it gets decent reviews for both TV and FM. I'd run the coax from this antenna to the jack, then to the antenna's amplifier (inside the trailer), and then to a splitter. From the splitter one coax would be for the TV and the other to a built in car stereo probably like this one: Kenwood

I've found a coax to automotive antenna plug adapter -adapter - to plug into the Kenwood's antenna port.

But, I am not sure if automotive antenna setups have a different impedence than an antenna such as that one I'm looking at, and would a splitter cause problems?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #96

Quote:
I just cut an "X" in mine and slide the pole in. I think foam pipe insulation may work too. Cheap enough, about a buck for a 8' length. It doesn't need to fit really tight, just tight enough not to lay over or wobble
Wonderful advice! You are a problem solver.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=thoer;137518]
I am looking at this antenna [URL="http://www.amazon.com/1byone-Omni-directional-Technology-Detachable-Waterproof/as it gets decent reviews for both TV and FM. [/QUOTE]

Good choice, I think. Of course we'll all know for sure after you post a user review.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good choice, I think. Of course we'll all know for sure after you post a user review.

Ron
I think if I put the little USB powered signal amp in with the batteries, etc under the front seat and have Reace wire a USB outlet in there, that I can see if it helps. I know with some I have used, sometimes the inline amp has helped and sometimes it has made the signal worse. I've got a cell booster on order from Amazon and will try it here at home where we get a weak signal. If it seems to help I'll probably have a second coax jack next to the input one for the TV and the signal amp for it installed under there too.

Unless Jim comes up with a source for that nice looking blank port. I think I could use one of those and have both coax and a port for an external solar panel all fit into that one box.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #99

Quote:
I heard back from Bullfinch this morning;

Quote:
Good afternoon Jim,

Thank you for your email. We can ship to Canada, we would probably use Fedex or UPS. We are, however, out of stock of some of the utility points, which ones are you interested in? To give you a full quote, we would need the full delivery address. If you can let have that I will send you a quote.

Regards John Goulding

Bullfinch Gas Equipment
Diadem Works
Kings Road
Tyseley Birmingham
B11 2AJ
Registered in England 635802 Registered Office as above

Home - Bullfinch Gas

Telephone: 0121 765 2000
Fax : 0121 707 0995
Depot : 0845 120 9639

All orders are supplied on the understanding that you accept our Sales Terms and Conditions which are available on request and can be seen on our website.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #100

I can't find a nice box like that Italian one Jim found, but I did find a dual coax input one anyway that should work for both TV/Radio antenna and cell booster antenna. Amazon Canada has one Duplex Coax]

If these were available with just a blank rear plate, they probably have enough space to hold 2 coax under one cover and that 12v input you found Jim under the other cover. I supposed the holes could be epoxied closed and the plate redrilled that way.
Attached Thumbnails
14517F-f.jpg