Electric Powered RV Mast - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Maybe when you get down to my level in that rabbit hole, we can stop for a coffee or a cocktail.
I usually stop for a beer on every level. I went down quite a few levels on National Beer Day!

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #62

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Alright, I'm liking the idea of a bumper mounted antenna instead of roof mounted as supplied by ETI. The fewer holes in the roof the better. I'm guessing I want the TV/Cable Ready Option with 120 Volt at $125. Is that simply an exterior receptacle for coax running to wherever the TV will mount? If I use an antenna with an amplifier how does the amplifier get wired in? Do I just run the coax from the exterior receptacle to the amplifier and then use a short length of coax to go to the tv? What if I am using campground cable? Does the amplifier cause any problems?

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #63

So, my current plan is to get this, spray paint it black, and mount it to my bumper. This 1 1/2" telescoping painter pole should be a perfect fit. I can use the other two holders to store my fishing rods. A nice benefit of this holder is that it has a "lock bar" at the base, so I can secure the poles from theft. Of course, a smart thief could probably just slide out the section of the pole with the antenna(s) attached. So I guess its not much use.

Now I just need to figure out how to run the cable.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #64

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
So, my current plan is to get this, spray paint it black, and mount it to my bumper. This 1 1/2" telescoping painter pole should be a perfect fit. I can use the other two holders to store my fishing rods. A nice benefit of this holder is that it has a "lock bar" at the base, so I can secure the poles from theft. Of course, a smart thief could probably just slide out the section of the pole with the antenna(s) attached. So I guess its not much use.

Cool stuff. Maybe use one of the three for a tv antenna and one for a wifi antenna or is there a combo antenna?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Cool stuff. Maybe use one of the three for a tv antenna and one for a wifi antenna or is there a combo antenna?
You could probably mount several smallish antennas to the same pole. Im going to mount both a 40" wifi antenna and a 4G cell antenna. Not sure about a TV antenna, those seem to be considerably larger.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

If you get the TV ready option, then you have a coax cable jack with a cover in the outside of the trailer and another jack inside, so all you should need is some coax from the antenna to the jack on the trailer. Or are you talking about other cable?

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
If you get the TV ready option, then you have a coax cable jack with a cover in the outside of the trailer and another jack inside, so all you should need is some coax from the antenna to the jack on the trailer. Or are you talking about other cable?
That would work for the standard cable coax. But the wifi and cell antennas use different connectors. Although, there are probably adapters that would work for this.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
That would work for the standard cable coax. But the wifi and cell antennas use different connectors. Although, there are probably adapters that would work for this.
Leon just had Reace put in one of the standard power cord holes and cover (Inlet) and runs his wires thru that. He did say that on retrospect he might have just run the cables in to the access hatch, but then you'd have to leave the hatch cover open when using the cables.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember to remove the antenna before any lightning storms....
When I installed my telescoping antenna mast I was concerned about lightning, so I bought a lightning detector:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tning+detector
Old 04-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #70

Speaking of cell phone boosters, anybody tried this one? Designed for a vehicle so I'm thinking it should be shock resistant its 12v powered. Booster