Electric Powered RV Mast - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Eric
You could even go so nuts as to buy the pole pruner or saw head and actually use it to trim trees at your home.
Dave
Heck, you could even take the pruner with you and trim some branches that blocked good reception. I'm sure that the Parks people wouldn't mind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
For a TV antenna my current thought is just getting the TV ready so I have the coax connection outside and maybe bringing an antenna like this along:Antenna

I like it because it can easily use 12V for its amplifier.
That might be the way to go. I've been using a 4 bay antenna. It works really well but it's a bit fragile and it's starting to get a bit beat up. I was considering just getting a Jack head to replace it. I'll have to see if I can get the specs for the flat one and see how it compares to the Jack.

I find the 6' length of 1" aluminum tube mounted into the top of my homemade bike rack raises the antenna free and clear of the roof and it's easy to stow.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-10-2014 2-58-09 PM2_resize.jpg  
Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's called a Flag Pole to Go 20' I got it cheaper on Amazon.
https://flagpolesetc.com/flagpoles/t...le-20-ft-fp-21

The holder requires a rubber plug to get the pole centered in the holder. I picked that up at Lowe's <$5. Lemme see if I can find the information.
Many, many thanks!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron didn't you make your solar mast from a pole pruner?
Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ron, I'm also looking at this one from the same company - not sure yet what the differences are between them. Antenna

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Heck, you could even take the pruner with you and trim some branches that blocked good reception. I'm sure that the Parks people wouldn't mind.

Ron
Oh man, I am liking this idea. The pruners could also be used for clearing branches to increase solar gain for the fixed panel too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Oh man, I am liking this idea. The pruners could also be used for clearing branches to increase solar gain for the fixed panel too.
And then to get dead branches for extra firewood. Oh you could be SO popular with the park folks.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #48

Trailer: pondering.....
"Another reason is they just don't look nice. But neither does a solar panel,"

hopefully that's going to change on this 19
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
"Another reason is they just don't look nice. But neither does a solar panel,"

hopefully that's going to change on this 19
The only way that it could change, is to just not install a panel. There is no real way to hide a large solar panel out of sight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #50

Quote:
And then to get dead branches for extra firewood. Oh you could be SO popular with the park folks.
Yes! This could be seen as retirement income. Maybe I could at least get free camping out of it. Well, until all the trees are gone, that is.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes! This could be seen as retirement income. Maybe I could at least get free camping out of it. Well, until all the trees are gone, that is.
I wouldn't call it "retirement income." In Oregon, we'd call it Three Hots and a Cot.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wouldn't call it "retirement income." In Oregon, we'd call it Three Hots and a Cot.
Well, if this was offered in a nice camping spot, I would be all over it.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 21C
Thanks Donna, great info! You are very clever!
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Both Leon and you (as well as other previously) mention flashing the router with DD-WRT firmware. What exactly is this, and what does it achieve? I have set up many a router at home, just plug and play basically. What is the difference?

I assume the coax you refer to, is from the antenna to the router, correct? Could you not just run through a port near your mast mount?

I plan to be ordering waterproof connectors from CNLINKO for my portable solar sometime soon, and they have some good solutions for data/signal connections too.
Data/Signal Connector | Cnlinko

Another thought of mine is to use a small access hatch on the rear, and have a board of it sealed to the interior of the trailer, on which I can mount whatever connectors I want on it, solar, coax, data, etc.
Most routers have very basic, consumer-level software that does not offer much functionality. DD-WRT is an open source firmware that basically unlocks the features on any supported router, and gives the user complete control over its functionality.

The coax cable I purchased is a N-Male to RP-TNC pigtail that connects the antenna to the router. It needs to be as short as possible to avoid signal loss. I will probably just run it through a strain relief port.

The other option im considering is adding the Ubiquiti bullet, which would allow me to run an RJ45 cable to the front of the trailer through the hole where the battery negative connects to the chassis.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Jefatech says that some folks who have class A motor homes have attached the antenna to the satellite dishes that fold flat for travel but can be raised when camping.
Interesting, but I would not do that. The dish frame changes angle to aim the dish, so even when up it wouldn't necessarily be vertical, but more importantly this is an expensive bit of hardware to potentially overload in wind - I would rather climb up the ladder to manually erect the pole than possibly pay for that dish mechanism again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Ron, I'm also looking at this one from the same company - not sure yet what the differences are between them. Antenna
Myron, no my solar panel mast is 2" heavy wall tube. I wouldn't be comfortable with it up that high in a wind with any less sized tube. I'd love to find a telescoping set-up but I wasn't able to find anything that would work with the space I have.

The difference between two might be that the second one is more omni-directional. Both would be easier to mount and use for temporary use than the Jack. More research required.

Interesting claim that it beautifies the building. Ah, those PR people.

Ron
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

The difference between two might be that the second one is more omni-directional. Both would be easier to mount and use for temporary use than the Jack. More research required.

Ron
That was my first thought too.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
The coax cable I purchased is a N-Male to RP-TNC pigtail that connects the antenna to the router. It needs to be as short as possible to avoid signal loss. I will probably just run it through a strain relief port. .
These strain relief connectors are for running a cable through, and designed to hold it solid. What would you do with the cable when not in use, as you would not want to, or be able to pull it out. This is why I was wondering about one of those Cnlinko connectors I linked to. Would one of these add to the potential signal loss?

I understand keeping the cable as short as possible to reduce signal strength. How does this signal differ from that run through cable company distribution systems, where the lengths of cable are extremely long?

I will stop asking questions once I look smart.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
These strain relief connectors are for running a cable through, and designed to hold it solid. What would you do with the cable when not in use, as you would not want to, or be able to pull it out. This is why I was wondering about one of those Cnlinko connectors I linked to. Would one of these add to the potential signal loss?

I understand keeping the cable as short as possible to reduce signal strength. How does this signal differ from that run through cable company distribution systems, where the lengths of cable are extremely long?

I will stop asking questions once I look smart.
My installation will be semi-permanent. I don't plan on removing the mast or antenna, so the cable will stay connected. I just need to make sure there is enough length to accommodate lowering / raising the mast.

However, I do like the idea of adding a connector port. It makes it a little more user-friendly, and will have a more "finished" look. I don't think an adequate connector will add to signal loss.

Honestly im not sure how cable type and signal frequency affects signal loss. Maybe someone else does? Im already too deep down the rabbit hole to start googling this.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Im already too deep down the rabbit hole to start googling this.
Maybe when you get down to my level in that rabbit hole, we can stop for a coffee or a cocktail.