Electric Powered RV Mast - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Maybe when you get down to my level in that rabbit hole, we can stop for a coffee or a cocktail.
I usually stop for a beer on every level. I went down quite a few levels on National Beer Day!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Alright, I'm liking the idea of a bumper mounted antenna instead of roof mounted as supplied by ETI. The fewer holes in the roof the better. I'm guessing I want the TV/Cable Ready Option with 120 Volt at $125. Is that simply an exterior receptacle for coax running to wherever the TV will mount? If I use an antenna with an amplifier how does the amplifier get wired in? Do I just run the coax from the exterior receptacle to the amplifier and then use a short length of coax to go to the tv? What if I am using campground cable? Does the amplifier cause any problems?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #63

So, my current plan is to get this, spray paint it black, and mount it to my bumper. This 1 1/2" telescoping painter pole should be a perfect fit. I can use the other two holders to store my fishing rods. A nice benefit of this holder is that it has a "lock bar" at the base, so I can secure the poles from theft. Of course, a smart thief could probably just slide out the section of the pole with the antenna(s) attached. So I guess its not much use.

Now I just need to figure out how to run the cable.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
So, my current plan is to get this, spray paint it black, and mount it to my bumper. This 1 1/2" telescoping painter pole should be a perfect fit. I can use the other two holders to store my fishing rods. A nice benefit of this holder is that it has a "lock bar" at the base, so I can secure the poles from theft. Of course, a smart thief could probably just slide out the section of the pole with the antenna(s) attached. So I guess its not much use.

Cool stuff. Maybe use one of the three for a tv antenna and one for a wifi antenna or is there a combo antenna?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Cool stuff. Maybe use one of the three for a tv antenna and one for a wifi antenna or is there a combo antenna?
You could probably mount several smallish antennas to the same pole. Im going to mount both a 40" wifi antenna and a 4G cell antenna. Not sure about a TV antenna, those seem to be considerably larger.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

If you get the TV ready option, then you have a coax cable jack with a cover in the outside of the trailer and another jack inside, so all you should need is some coax from the antenna to the jack on the trailer. Or are you talking about other cable?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
If you get the TV ready option, then you have a coax cable jack with a cover in the outside of the trailer and another jack inside, so all you should need is some coax from the antenna to the jack on the trailer. Or are you talking about other cable?
That would work for the standard cable coax. But the wifi and cell antennas use different connectors. Although, there are probably adapters that would work for this.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
That would work for the standard cable coax. But the wifi and cell antennas use different connectors. Although, there are probably adapters that would work for this.
Leon just had Reace put in one of the standard power cord holes and cover (Inlet) and runs his wires thru that. He did say that on retrospect he might have just run the cables in to the access hatch, but then you'd have to leave the hatch cover open when using the cables.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember to remove the antenna before any lightning storms....
When I installed my telescoping antenna mast I was concerned about lightning, so I bought a lightning detector:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tning+detector
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #70

Speaking of cell phone boosters, anybody tried this one? Designed for a vehicle so I'm thinking it should be shock resistant its 12v powered. Booster

Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
He did say that on retrospect he might have just run the cables in to the access hatch, but then you'd have to leave the hatch cover open when using the cables.
As mentioned above, this is what I am considering. You could put all the connectors inside of it, and it would look neater than multiple others. Cable TV, WiFi, solar, DC outlet, and so on. You can get a hatch that is on a solid plastic box, and cut holes for connectors as required.

Quote:
Speaking of wifi boosters, anybody tried this one? Designed for a vehicle so I'm thinking it should be shock resistant its 12v powered. Booster
Is that not for 4G data, a totally different thing from WiFi?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #72

I am also contemplating using a hatch like that for the low pressure quick connect(s)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #73

Jim , yep my brain was thinking cellular and my fingers typed wifi - fixed it - thanks. I'm thinking I need a cell booster much more often than a wifi one.

Where'd you find that hatch JIm?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Leon just had Reace put in one of the standard power cord holes and cover (Inlet) and runs his wires thru that. He did say that on retrospect he might have just run the cables in to the access hatch, but then you'd have to leave the hatch cover open when using the cables.
I can run the trailer's power cord and two coax feeds through the electric cable hatch and still close the hatch. The little sliding window in the hatch has just enough room for this. The coax is the standard diameter you see used for TV.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #75

Sorry Mike - I meant the large exterior storage hatch, rather than cut in another hole.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned above, this is what I am considering. You could put all the connectors inside of it, and it would look neater than multiple others. Cable TV, WiFi, solar, DC outlet, and so on. You can get a hatch that is on a solid plastic box, and cut holes for connectors as required.
You are keeping a list of the make and model #s of all your trailer mods right buds?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
You are keeping a list of the make and model #s of all your trailer mods right buds?
I certainly am. Right now the list is long and convoluted, and as I narrow down some aspects, others grow with ideas. I blame the OP of this thread.

Though to be fair I already had many of the ideas here bookmarked already.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Just to be clear, if I had to do it over I would ask Reace to put the RV Power Inlet in the hatch cover itself. that way, if I ever wanted to change it, all I would have to do is to replace the hatch door.

Daubsy and Jim Bennet, if I had to do this over again, I would look at this article on JefaTech's website. They can construct a cable that goes from your repeater to a bulkhead connector. rather than using an electrical blank, I would look perhaps look at modifying a standard cable TV port (like This one) to hold the bulk head connector. Or maybe you could just use an end cap to cover the connector when not in use.

This thread has caused me to look more closely at JefaTech's website and I discovered a couple of articles that I had not noticed before. My guess is that if you contact JefaTEch and tell them what you are trying to do they can offer suggestions as to how best to get the signal from the outside to the inside.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #79

Leon, using something like that bulkhead connector is what I was thinking, and to have it install in the same waterproof hatch as a bunch of other connectors. I think one single box would look better than a bunch of separate connectors.

Regardless, I will definitely take up your suggestion of consulting with JavaTech before I do anything. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Could you not replace the inlet Reace installed with something like you mentioned?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #80

I just remembered another hatch I had considered, this one from Bullfinch. It is from the UK, and I would need to confirm it would work for my intended use. It has 12V out, cable, and satellite connections. Would this satellite connection work for the cable from the repeater?

Click on image for link:

Bullfinch also has a few other interesting "Utility Points". Another consideration bouncing around in my head is using their low pressure connectors. As they are not likely CSA approved, I would have to do this work after taking possesion of the trailer, something I plan to do whether I go this way, or using the same type connector escape uses, but installed in a hatch.

Bullfinch Gas - Outdoor Utility Points