Endura Range Vent Install - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Jim. I don’t think I’ve ever turned the vent fan on in 4 years to even know that it wasn’t very good.
Hard to know who to visit in the morning for coffee n breakfast if you can’t see them outside making it.
Obviously depends on where and when you camp. I prefer cooking outside too, but sometimes you give in to Mother Nature.
Attached Thumbnails
snow.jpg  
Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It would be tough to move the oven outside to bake a blueberry pie!

I replaced the stock hood with a Ventline Stainless Steel S0721 Series RV Range Hood & used a combination of covers. The one that came looked like it would let washing water into the vent so I added the outside cover from the original vent.

The outside cover is held on with ProFlex caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1353.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You guys seem to forget not everyone uses their trailers like you do- i.e. take it somewhere and set up for a week or two. A lot of us use them to travel the USA our way and that often means a lot of 1-2 days here & there and don't want to haul out the gear to set up the outdoor kitchen.

I put this mod off thinking it wasn't that necessary yet the last trip we took we had more rain than normal and the noise from that fan coupled with the stupid Ventline exterior vent with broken tabs had me finally decide now was the time to kill two nasty little birdies.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It would be tough to move the oven outside to bake a blueberry pie!

I replaced the stock hood with a Ventline Stainless Steel S0721 Series RV Range Hood & used a combination of covers. The one that came looked like it would let washing water into the vent so I added the outside cover from the original vent.

The outside cover is held on with ProFlex caulk.
What is the advantage of using the combination of covers vs. just using a new JR Endura?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What is the advantage of using the combination of covers vs. just using a new JR Endura?
No internal flap. I know I could have just removed the flap like others have done, but I had already installed the new vent cover.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
No internal flap. I know I could have just removed the flap like others have done, but I had already installed the new vent cover.
Thanks for that- I sometimes over think things. Does anyone know if any fiberglass trimming will be necessary to install a JR Endura on Gen1 trailer?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Thanks for that- I sometimes over think things. Does anyone know if any fiberglass trimming will be necessary to install a JR Endura on Gen1 trailer?
I am in the middle of that right now. This is turning out to be a bit more work than I anticipated. I thought I could just pop the old ventiline vent off and it would be an easy replacement with the new JR Endura. The first thing I found out was that there was a LOT of caulk holding the hold vent on. Next is going to be enlarging the vent hole in the trailer so the Endura will fit. Then I am am going to remove the range hood so I can re-install the wadded up Naugahyde that was fold over and glued to the range hood to act as a spacer and insulation between the vent and the range hood. I am also going to have to trim the back of the Endura vent so that it will fit p against the range hood properly. I get tired just thinking about it

I think our trailers were built within a week of each other, so you will probably have similar issues.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #48

Hi Leon- have found this thread from Elongest- there are several threads of the SAM-1 and Endura install, however this particular one is pertinent to us. We'll git r done!

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ment-9882.html
Old 08-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I am in the middle of that right now. This is turning out to be a bit more work than I anticipated. I thought I could just pop the old ventiline vent off and it would be an easy replacement with the new JR Endura. The first thing I found out was that there was a LOT of caulk holding the hold vent on. Next is going to be enlarging the vent hole in the trailer so the Endura will fit. Then I am am going to remove the range hood so I can re-install the wadded up Naugahyde that was fold over and glued to the range hood to act as a spacer and insulation between the vent and the range hood. I am also going to have to trim the back of the Endura vent so that it will fit p against the range hood properly. I get tired just thinking about it

I think our trailers were built within a week of each other, so you will probably have similar issues.
My 21' came with a Heng's range vent and I found that I had to do a little trimming with a Dremel to get the Endura range vent to fit.

I did not replace the vinyl and foam trim that Escape used to fill the gap between the vent and the range hood. The foam was already saturated with grease from cooking - bad news as that would not be a place I want to have a grease fire.

Instead, I used aluminum duct tape to seal the vent flanges to the range hood. Much easier to keep clean and cut down on turbulence.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
A few photos of my install. Shows the required cutout area and that the flap could easily be removed when the exterior cover is off.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-05-2018 4-01-25 PM_0004_resize.jpg   17-05-2018 4-55-35 PM_0006_resize.jpg   18-05-2018 2-14-39 PM_0006_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #51

Nice! thanks for the photos
Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Ross when we got our Sam1 , I too was scared water would get in the supplied outside vent . I called and talked to the fellow who made the Sam1 and he assured me water would not get in . You know what been at least 3 , 3 1\2 years now and he was right . We just used the supplied vent . I have thought of adding the outside vent for looks but haven’t . If I did I would only attach the outside cover . No flaps . I wouldn't want it to restrict the air flow in any way . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #53

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I didn't use the supplied vent cover because partly I was concerned about blowing rain coming in, especially while driving, but mainly because I really like the JR hood cover (with the flap removed) and didn't want to mess with taking the trailer base portion off because of all the screws and caulking to remove. The fan seems to operate fine with the JR hood cover in place, I don't think it restricts airflow in a meaningful way. As I recall the SAM-1 instructions said you could use your existing exterior hood or swap out for theirs.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Well I finally got it done. Looks great. I just took putty tape around the flange on the Endura vent and didn't bother putting geocaulk around the perimeter of the vent since I didn't want to interfere with the cover that snaps on.

I didn't bother replacing the folded over vinyl behind the range hood because it didn't seem to be at all greasy. Most of the cooking we do inside is "water-based" - that is we are making pasta or soup and not frying too much bacon or hamburger. but I did use some aluminum foil tape to seal up the exposed foam.

I talked to my RV guy (Wayne at Mike's LP for those of you in Minnesota) when I went over to buy the putty tape. He said that for range hood installations on fiberglass trailers he usually builds a cardboard box around the range hood and then sprays low expansion foam in the gap from the outside. I suppose that would work, but I would much rather use Tom's method of taping the vent flanges to the hood. Like Dave, I put some aluminum screening material in the vent hole to keep creatures out of the trailer.

I have one of the 10 screws holding the vent cover on left over. The hole on the middle left side doesn't seem to match up quite right. Not a big deal for me. Also, getting the range hood put back took a lot of effort, and my extended vocabulary. I just couldn't' get the holes to line up properly.

A couple of comments. I installed my SAM-1 fan about 18 months ago. If I would have been smart, I would have installed a new vent cover then and done this all in one shot. Secondly, while the new vent cover looks much nicer than the old one, I am not sure I would have done it if I had known how long it was going to take.

Tomorrow I start putting in the dicor slider I got from Steve -- But that should be a much quicker job (famous last words).
Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I am not sure I would have done it if I had known how long it was going to take.
I'm sure that I say that for most of the projects that I do.

Any, it's done and I like the idea of having vent as a cover for the "open" one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #56

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I talked to my RV guy (Wayne at Mike's LP for those of you in Minnesota)
Thanks for this "word of mouth" Leon. Next propane refill I will visit the shop.

I am looking forward to meeting you at the Mississippi Rendezvous.