Endura Range Vent Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Endura Range Vent Install

The old Ventline vent ran true to form. As it yellowed the lock tabs also broke off one by one. So I installed an Endura Range Vent. They certainly look sleek, don't have the flimsy little tabs and promise not to yellow. So what's not to love.

After removing the old Ventline the first surprise was that the hole cut in the range hood didn't match the hole cut in the trailer side. On the bottom about an inch of material used to seal the joint between the hood and the trailer side was protruding into the air path. At the top the cut out in the range hood left an inch of metal protruding downwards into the air path. So a little trimming was in order for maximum air flow. I also wanted to leave the door open, so to speak, for installing another type of fan later.

The opening in the trailer side is about a quarter inch too narrow in both directions. So a little trimming was in order.

I installed it according to the directions. They say use a gasket or buytl tape but don't provide a gasket. Fortunately I had buytl tape. I notice that ETI didn't use anything but caulk. Fortunately my good old Tumbler silicone remover made quick work of cleaning it off the trailer side.

The trailer side isn't perfectly flat. This creates two problems. One, the continuous hinge doesn't like not straight. It binds at one point but further open than it can go with the hood on. Secondly, vertically, the side isn't flat. This can be seen in the side view. It isn't much but it makes installing the hood extremely difficult. If I was doing it again I'd make the hood sides slightly concave.

Those latches. I hate them. I have a feeling that they're not going to last much longer than the Ventline's. Might be wrong but I don't like them. Also the juries out on the amount of air can move by the opening that's limited by the hood. The juries still out on that one.

Most mods I feel good about doing. But this one, time will tell.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0028_resize.JPG   IMGP0029_resize.JPG   17-05-2018 4-55-35 PM_0006_resize.jpg   IMGP0001_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The 2013 Casita that we used to own came with the Endura vent. It didn't yellow but those tabs were very difficult to open - so much that I had the constant worry of breaking them each time I had to open it. Also, the outside cover breaks off fairly easy.

I was pleased with the tabs on the Ventline vent - tabs are easy to open/close. But it does yellow and degrade fairly quickly.

You just can't win!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I was pleased with the tabs on the Ventline vent - tabs are easy to open/close. But it does yellow and degrade fairly quickly.

You just can't win!

Paint it with Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. Colour "Dover White".
Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I masked off my ventline and shot it with the fusion. Gloss white since I have new gel coat. Looks like new and won’t yellow now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The 2013 Casita that we used to own came with the Endura vent. It didn't yellow but those tabs were very difficult to open - so much that I had the constant worry of breaking them each time I had to open it. Also, the outside cover breaks off fairly easy.

You just can't win!
Actually for $200 you can win....do the SAM-1 upgrade. Solves all the problems mentioned in this thread and more. Moves the damper inside and comes with high quality exterior vent.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...-kit-8257.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Is this it?
http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/product-page
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hummm, I have a 30 year old Scamp that uses the same vent. Yes it's gotten funky and yellowed. Saturating a sponge with Dollar Tree Awesome Cleaner and a few swipes of the vent.... cleans all that 'nicotine' looking stuff off. It keeps on, keeps on....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Yup. That’s it. Can’t stress enough how worthwhile the upgrade is. If you have any issues the owner, Larry, is very responsive. I know several members of the forum have spoken with him.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Actually for $200 you can win....do the SAM-1 upgrade. Solves all the problems mentioned in this thread and more. Moves the damper inside and comes with high quality exterior vent.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...-kit-8257.html
Glad I did ! And the venting , Wow 3 speeds . The led light 2 switches . What is not to like , a Vent fan that works . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Yup. That’s it. Can’t stress enough how worthwhile the upgrade is. If you have any issues the owner, Larry, is very responsive. I know several members of the forum have spoken with him.
Dave besides your and Robert's help , I spoke to the owner too . Pat
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Actually for $200 you can win....do the SAM-1 upgrade.
I agree, that's a great improvement. However, someone around here really likes the looks of the Endura Maybe after I've snapped off the tabs on it I'll go to the SAM-1 upgrade. I like the vent and the fact that you can open and close it from inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It keeps on, keeps on....
I usually add "touch wood" when I make comments like that.

One thing to note for anyone removing and replacing the exterior vent is that ETI appears to have ground off the ends of the screws. That might have been because the day they made mine they ran out of 1/2" screws and had to use something longer. Or that might just be what they do.

The precaution is that trying to re-use these screws in new holes might be difficult. You might be able to "tap" a thread with a sharp screw first but it's easier just to use 1/2" screws.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0002_resize.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, that's a great improvement. However, someone around here really likes the looks of the Endura Maybe after I've snapped off the tabs on it I'll go to the SAM-1 upgrade. I like the vent and the fact that you can open and close it from inside.
There's no need to change out the exterior vent cover with the SAM-1 Fan conversion. It's completely optional. The purpose for the conversion is to upgrade the fan to one that exhausts far more air, runs almost silently, and has a much brighter LED strip built in that can also dim to a night light.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #13

OK, I'm missing something. I thought the vent grate was part of the SAM-1 upgrade. Are you saying that the Endura vent cover could still be used with the vent grate? I don't think that it'd be as effective. I like the straight out design, more air flow, and the fact that it can be operated from inside.

Ron
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, I'm missing something. I thought the vent grate was part of the SAM-1 upgrade. Are you saying that the Endura vent cover could still be used with the vent grate? I don't think that it'd be as effective. I like the straight out design, more air flow, and the fact that it can be operated from inside.

Ron
Ron when I purchased the Sam1, I wrestled with the different Vent , like a Endura . I like the looks but decided to go with the Vent supplied with the Sam 1 . No regrets .it hasn't yellowed either . You are right about the length of the screws . Mine were cut or grounded down too . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
FOP supplies an exterior vent with the kit, but you don't have to use it. The exterior vent will make little difference. The squirrel cage fan throws way more air than the little white plastic fan on the stock hood. I mean, way more. Standing 6 or 8 feet away from it, I feel the breeze. The fan is ducted is well, with a small black plastic exhaust which is far smaller than the rear opening of the range hood. None of the exhaust escapes into the trailer. The exhaust gate is part of the fan assembly, not the exterior vent. I just swapped mine out because I liked the look. I've included a photo below of what's in the kit, as well as a photo of me operating the gate before I installed the fan.

In many ways, your cover is better, especially when washing the trailer, because there's no chance of water getting inside. I have to be careful with mine because although it protects from water coming straight down, it will allow water coming in horizontally.

I may just change out the exterior vent for one like yours someday. The fan mod is completely separate from that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2189.jpg   IMG_2194.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I also installed the vent, different name, a couple of years ago. I have had no issue with the opening/locking tabs. I also installed the SAM upgrade and choose to not use the vent that came with it because I was concerned with water getting in. The SAM fan with the Endura style vent combo work well together. I did add a aluminum bug screen to the back of the vent. ETI's stock fan unit did require trimming to make the SAM unit work.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #17

Ron I was also concerned about water getting in . Have had no problem . I thought best to use the Sam 1 Vent included , designed for their product . The nice thing is from the inside you close the Vent to outside . Before I installed their Sam 1 Vent I made sure to seal good . If you look at their Vent the 2 sides channel to their opening . Your choice but the whole Sam 1 upgrade was really worth the money . Interesting had something similar on 1979 Class C motorhome . Squirrel cage and it opened from inside then the manufacturers went cheap . Pat
Old 05-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
FOP supplies an exterior vent with the kit, but you don't have to use it. The exterior vent will make little difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I also installed the vent, different name, a couple of years ago. I have had no issue with the opening/locking tabs. I also installed the SAM upgrade and choose to not use the vent that came with it because I was concerned with water getting in. The SAM fan with the Endura style vent combo work well together. I did add a aluminum bug screen to the back of the vent. ETI's stock fan unit did require trimming to make the SAM unit work.
I’m glad this came up so users don’t think they are committed to the SAM-1 exterior vent when they buy the kit. It is very high quality and I have not had any problems with the vent but I admit the best combination may very well be what Chris did. Add a bug screen and then I’d probably break the vent locking tabs off the Endura unless the whole damper plate would pop out. No need to worry about the exterior damper once you have the interior slider.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron I was also concerned about water getting in . Have had no problem . I thought best to use the Sam 1 Vent included , designed for their product . The nice thing is from the inside you close the Vent to outside . Before I installed their Sam 1 Vent I made sure to seal good . If you look at their Vent the 2 sides channel to their opening . Your choice but the whole Sam 1 upgrade was really worth the money . Interesting had something similar on 1979 Class C motorhome . Squirrel cage and it opened from inside then the manufacturers went cheap . Pat
I did also talk to the owner and he said I could use the Endura also but chose what they included . Don't even notice anymore because it doesn't yellow . Pat
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #20

OK, thanks gang for clearing it up for me. I obviously didn't understand the the exterior grill didn't contain the slide to close off the vent. I guess I was thinking that it was like one of those home floor vents that you can open and close off.

It seems like some have trouble with the Endura latches and some don't. Mine are very difficult to use. But I can see that the best combo might be the SAM-1 upgrade with the exterior Endura cover with no flap or pesky latches.

As a aside, cutting the opening larger gave me a sample of the wall layup. I measured the gel coat thickness at 21 mils, which is pretty much bang on. In light of some previous issues with spider cracks etc. I was curious about the thickness ETI was using. There are a lot of variables but this is partly an indication that the correct gel coat thickness is being sprayed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0003_resize.JPG