Entrance Steps - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always used a hacksaw with steel cutting.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always used a hacksaw with steel cutting.
Charley with amount that has to be cut , that would take too long and it wouldn't come out because they are long cuts straight . I do have hacksaws but I was looking for electric power . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cut steel

Sawzall by Milwaukee to cut, dress with 4 1/2 inch Milwaukee grinder, finish with Nicholson file, Mill bastard cut. Primer and paint.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Charley with amount that has to be cut , that would take too long and it wouldn't come out because they are long cuts straight . I do have hacksaws but I was looking for electric power . Pat
If I can't come up with something I guess I will take it to a welder . The step is kind of important to me and needed . The one on the trailer is not working and causing damage to knee when I exit . Pat
Old 11-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Sawzall by Milwaukee to cut, dress with 4 1/2 inch Milwaukee grinder, finish with Nicholson file, Mill bastard cut. Primer and paint.
Dave do have a Milwaukee sawzall and metal cutting blades . Have a hand electric grinder and the files and paint . Ok I'll give this a try . Thankyou , Pat
Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Dave do have a Milwaukee sawzall and metal cutting blades . Have a hand electric grinder and the files and paint . Ok I'll give this a try . Thankyou , Pat
We cut a lot of steel with the sawzall. Once modified a cast iron fireplace liner to fit a fireplace in a museum house I managed. Go slow, start with a new blade as many teeth per inch as possible and still get the job done. A little cutting oil as you go along would not hurt either. The steps will have to be cleaned up for paint to stick though.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We cut a lot of steel with the sawzall. Once modified a cast iron fireplace liner to fit a fireplace in a museum house I managed. Go slow, start with a new blade as many teeth per inch as possible and still get the job done. A little cutting oil as you go along would not hurt either. The steps will have to be cleaned up for paint to stick though.
Dave since I have had this trailer getting more comfortable with electrical ,now working with steel . Who knew . Will do changing out the blades and a little cutting oil . Thankyou ! Pat
Old 11-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Cutoff metal

I used a cutoff wheel for my 4 1/2 inch grinder then finished with a flap disk on the same grinder to finish smoothing, after mounting and drilling I removed and painted
Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I used a cutoff wheel for my 4 1/2 inch grinder then finished with a flap disk on the same grinder to finish smoothing, after mounting and drilling I removed and painted
Thankyou Mr. B . I now have 2 great solutions and ways to cut the steel ! Pat
Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #30

Wheels

Quote:
I like those Pferd flap wheels for smoothing up. The had a sale on Pferd abrasives at one of the local tool stores on Thursday. They lured me in with a free pork sandwich and the next thing I knew I was spending money. I worked in a grey Iron foundry out of high school, grinding slag off of Link Belt crane counterweights. Lots of sparks.
Dave
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #31

Entrance Steps

Quote:
Mr. B finished steps . I used my grinder with a cut off blade and found that worked great . The hardest part was drilling new holes next to the wheel . Painted and added new bolts .Also cut 2 in's on our little step . Now 7 in down from trailer floor . About 6 1/2 from step stool and the ground . Very easy to step in and out . Doesn't"t bother my knee. Thankyou for doing the hard work , figuring out the mod . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0904.jpg   IMG_0905.jpg   IMG_0906.jpg   IMG_0907.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Mr. B finished steps . I used my grinder with a cut off blade and found that worked great . The hardest part was drilling new holes next to the wheel . Painted and added new bolts .Also cut 2 in's on our little step . Now 7 in down from trailer floor . About 6 1/2 from step stool and the ground . Very easy to step in and out . Doesn't"t bother my knee. Thankyou for doing the hard work , figuring out the mod . Pat
Wow looks nice Pat great job, kinda like "Bear Steps" 7"x7"x7" steps sure are nice.
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   7.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Wow looks nice Pat great job, kinda like "Bear Steps" 7"x7"x7" steps sure are nice.
Tin Thankyou ! Well worth it ! Pat
Old 11-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hope this works for you! Looks good.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Hope this works for you! Looks good.
Morning Cathy ! We are thrilled for this solution , thanks to Mr. B . The step is now almost 4 in higher to the trailer floor . It took us a little while to figure out the drop stepping out of trailer was too much and that was damaging my knee. When I am working on trailer I am going in and out more then I am when camping . Using the extra step and everything is so comfortable going in and out . Very , very happy ! Thankyou for the compliment! Pat
Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’m for anything that helps folks stay out camping longer and being more comfortable. Very good solution to help with your knee Pat and as always good implementation!
A very good friend had a fifth wheel and it was overwhelming as he got older. He traded for a smaller bumper pull and it's allowed him to continue camping for at least three addl years now.
I’m considering modding a small escalator if I can find a 12v model that will just deliver me from the ground to the door. Should keep me out there into my 90’s.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #37

Pat, I think you are into something about the steps. I already had a bad knee but it is much worse after having the trailer out the last couple of days. I may end up getting myself a stool or step for a change.

Greg, let me know when you invent that escalator!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I’m for anything that helps folks stay out camping longer and being more comfortable. Very good solution to help with your knee Pat and as always good implementation!
A very good friend had a fifth wheel and it was overwhelming as he got older. He traded for a smaller bumper pull and it's allowed him to continue camping for at least three addl years now.
I’m considering modding a small escalator if I can find a 12v model that will just deliver me from the ground to the door. Should keep me out there into my 90’s.
Hi Greg yes things change as you get older . I wonder now if I could handle a camper like before . It didn't bother me before the trailer but now I don't know . But this solution seems to be good . Good thing my brain still works .About the escalator , have seen that done before camping .Knee is happy now ! Pat
Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Pat, I think you are into something about the steps. I already had a bad knee but it is much worse after having the trailer out the last couple of days. I may end up getting myself a stool or step for a change.

Greg, let me know when you invent that escalator!
Cathy if you can find something to get that step higher that's the ticket . You can see I have the spa step like Kevin did in one of my pictures . That really works too . It is not heavy and it is perfect . You don't need to drill or cut anything . I am still going to use it at home . You just have to carry it with you . I wanted the step on the trailer permanently changed and a little more compact to travel with , but the spa step is a great solution too. Pat
Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #40

Yes, Pat, both of those separate steps you have look good. I can get something like that. Thank you for the photos.