Escape 19 inverter and transfer switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Escape 19 inverter and transfer switch

Finalizing the build sheet for our 19. I'd like an inverter and transfer switch but think I can install my own for a lot less money.

Has anyone installed their own inverter/transfer switch? Any issues that I should know about? Where did you locate them, etc. I'll go with the 2 X 6V batteries for sure.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Has anyone installed their own inverter/transfer switch? Any issues that I should know about? Where did you locate them, etc. I'll go with the 2 X 6V batteries for sure.

Dan
I bought an inexpensive 1500 watt MSW inverter, about $150 CDN, and used a DPST switch as a transfer switch. It's primarily for the micro-wave outlet although anything else can be plugged directly into it also. We're not heavy users of the micro-wave but sometimes it's nice to have.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09-11-2014 4-25-51 PM1_resize.jpg (192.5 KB, 42 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Finalizing the build sheet for our 19. I'd like an inverter and transfer switch but think I can install my own for a lot less money.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, if you're comfortable and competent doing trailer wiring, then fine, you can save a few bucks by doing it yourself. In our case however, the convenience of having someone else do it far outweighed any potential savings from a DIY job.

As for location, the most logical place is where Escape installs theirs on a 19 - under the driver side dinette bench.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'd like an inverter and transfer switch but think I can install my own for a lot less money.
Perhaps... it depends on what components you choose, and that depends on what functionality you want.

Quote:
Any issues that I should know about?
If you want the transfer switch to mount as neatly as the one used by Escape, you might want to choose that same switch (presumably the WFCO T-30).

If you want more than one circuit to be powered by the inverter, you will also need a sub-panel... that is, another box of circuit breakers. So the issues would be choosing, paying for, and locating that sub-panel. It's all manageable, but adds some complication and cost.

Escape uses a panel with two circuits, generally located inside the same cabinet as the main power centre.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I did my own, although not on a 19. No surprises, just takes a good amount of time if you're careful. Figure out what you need and sources for a fuse/breaker and cables. Choose an inverter and switch and see where you can fit them as they vary in size.

I added a plywood piece vertically at the back of a bench seat, mounted the components to it, some before installing the plywood.

I used a Magnum CSW inverter and a Xantrex transfer switch for 1 existing AC circuit.

Can't say I saved any $ though.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

I'm thinking I would get a 30 amp transfer switch. The incoming shore power would run to the primary input. Output from the inverter would run to the secondary input. The output side of the transfer switch would feed main AC electrical panel. This is just a nice clean setup. I don't really need a big inverter, 500 watts or so. Doesn't need to be pure sign wave. That said, is all the electrical under the dinette seat or just the 12 volt panel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
That said, is all the electrical under the dinette seat or just the 12 volt panel?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes. The incoming 110 volt enters at the left rear, runs along the wall in the cavity between the bathroom wall and the exterior shell and to the panel. The panel has both the 110 volt breakers as well as the 12 volt fuses. So everything is close at hand for installing an inverter in that area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Ford F 150, Escape 21
Just remember that there are devices that you don't want on the output of the inverter, such as the converter, water heater, and refrigerator. This is why in makes sense to install a sub panel rather than switch the entire main panel. Some installers plan on shutting off specific breakers, but it is easy to forget...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My 600W ProWatt Xantrex inverter has a standard duplex outlet. I took it's case apart and ran wires from the duplex to the wall chase behind the bathroom and added a second duplex below the bed and near the fridge. No transfer switch.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Invertfront1a.gif (170.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My 600W ProWatt Xantrex inverter has a standard duplex outlet. I took it's case apart and ran wires from the duplex to the wall chase behind the bathroom and added a second duplex below the bed and near the fridge. No transfer switch.
To test my understanding, then you only have those 2 outlers in the inverter, correct?