Escape 19, large refrigerator and microwave - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Escape 19, large refrigerator and microwave

I am thinking of getting the large fridge and no microwave. If I decide to add a microwave in the future, where would it go?

Thanks.
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the freezer..........
you will have to find a spot, if you have Escape install it will go under the stove in the kitchen and you lose some precious storage space. I ended up using my first Escape micro as a pantry and dropped the micro in my other 2 Escapes. You are limited in space so a bigger refer means less something else, simple math.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary LG View Post
I am thinking of getting the large fridge and no microwave. If I decide to add a microwave in the future, where would it go?

Thanks.
Is your order in and you are set on a 19'? You might consider a 21'. No problem if you think you need both in a 21' as we do.

I think that some people might just take a small microwave to set on the counter sometimes but not sure. Quite a few take toaster ovens and they can do a lot. We cook every kind of thing from pasta to squash to collards with the microwave so would not be without it. Depends upon how much you need it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As mentioned...under the stove in place of your only 2 stock drawers. Would require a bit of work to do it afterwards.
A big fridge all depends on your camping style. If you have a big family and stay in one spot a long time...then sure. My wife and I like to keep on the move and see stuff. We are either on the road with the trailer or out where we can pick up further food. We just completed a return trip across Canada with a trailer that had the same size “small” fridge and there was stuff we came home with that we had never touched.
Attached Thumbnails
70BEF3AF-8D2C-48EA-AF6D-FD5B966928CE.jpg  
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
We just completed a return trip across Canada with a trailer that had the same size “small” fridge and there was stuff we came home with that we had never touched.
Yup, us too and we had frozen stuff the whole way. But so much depends on individual style of usage. At times my wife has muttered a bit but there's no way she'd be without the microwave or give up other space for it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I went with the standard fridge in my 19 so there is room for a microwave if desired, I use the space for dry goods pantry. As far as large vs smaller refer, with all the issues these have had in the past, I carry cooler for my drinks, that leaves a lot of room in the refer for "food" items.I also utilize ice in the freezer to cool down any drink, use sealed condiments that eliminate those big bulky mayo/ketchup containers. I'm able to carry 2 weeks worth of food easily in the standard size unit.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We rarely use a microwave at home, so we don't miss it in the trailer. We love the larger fridge.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I went with the standard fridge in my 19 so there is room for a microwave if desired, I use the space for dry goods pantry. As far as large vs smaller refer, with all the issues these have had in the past, I carry cooler for my drinks, that leaves a lot of room in the refer for "food" items.I also utilize ice in the freezer to cool down any drink, use sealed condiments that eliminate those big bulky mayo/ketchup containers. I'm able to carry 2 weeks worth of food easily in the standard size unit.
Sounds a lot like our use . Even have a oven with the microwave . We have the smaller refrigerator . We do carry a cooler always . The smaller refrigerator is all we need . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Escape 19, large refrigerator and microwave

We lived with a relatively tiny fridge while we full-timed for a year in our 17B. The standard fridge in our new 19 is huge compared to what we had in the 17 so we have no desire for the extra large fridge, and instead of a microwave use the space above the fridge as our primary pantry. We adapted to life without the microwave and now don’t even have one in our sticks and bricks house.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nobody in this thread has said what a large or small fridge is.
Mine is medium, 5 cu. ft.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nobody in this thread has said what a large or small fridge is.
Mine is medium, 5 cu. ft.
For the OP's question, it's either a 5.0CF or a 6.0CF. Im not sure the extra 1 cubic foot of space would be that noticeable, but a separate fridge and freezer definitely would.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
And in case you want it all, you probably can. A larger fridge, microwave, and even drawers. Just ask ETI to switch your drawers to another spot available under the counter.
Here a picture of ours (4 drawers under the counter).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0549a.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
+1
Having upgraded to an Escape 19 from a Casita, we find the standard refrigerator plenty big. We carry a beverage cooler in the truck and can easily stash enough in tne fridge for a week or two.
I like tne pantry space above the fridge and would not sacrifice it for a microwave as we do a fair amount of camping sans electricity.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Not sure if you have been to Escape to see a real 19 for yourself. If not here are the measurements of the standard fridge inside area that we took 19 w x 27 h x 15 deep. The freezer is above this and measures 17 w x 6 h x 8 deep. Note it is only 8 inches deep because the shelves on the door go all the way to the top.
The pictures were provided by another forum member.
Attached Thumbnails
7AF83B0B-A843-4E02-9FB5-16C0B1A18E6D.jpg   AF368AEA-4B71-4834-B840-25FA12D31867.jpg   588C6EC9-A038-48CE-B562-B447671FF1D0.jpg  
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #15

I am pretty sure that we have a 6.7. Are they not putting something that big in a 19'? Maybe in the 21'?

Edit: In looking at their specs, apparently not. New refrigerators are not quite as big.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I am pretty sure that we have a 6.7. Are they not putting something that big in a 19'? Maybe in the 21'?

Edit: In looking at their specs, apparently not. New refrigerators are not quite as big.
Correct. The Americana fridges aren't quite as large (at least the largest one isnt), but they do cool better.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Correct. The Americana fridges aren't quite as large (at least the largest one isnt), but they do cool better.
Ours has cooled just fine and cools down very fast. Don't know that anyone has done better with the new ones.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Don't know that anyone has done better with the new ones.
I think they have, but my evidence is partly anecdotal - the number of threads complaining about fridge performance has dramatically dropped. And, the Americana fridges have a rating equivalent to at least an N climate class, while the 8 series in yours and mine are SN.

One of the major reasons for Reace's redesign of the trailer was to make the door wider, allowing him to fit a different (and better) fridge through the door. The number of fridge complaints was pretty overwhelming. Based mainly on forum feedback so far, I'd say he succeeded.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think they have, but my evidence is partly anecdotal - the number of threads complaining about fridge performance has dramatically dropped. And, the Americana fridges have a rating equivalent to an N climate class, while the 8 series in yours and mine are SN.
The complaints were by far on models prior to ours. The door was already going to be changed because of previous models, I believe. Ours should not be confused with those earlier models.

We had a refrigerator in the 19' that was not nearly as good as our present refrigerator. And others had other models that had lots of problems. We will still have to see though if it holds up in a lot of Texas heat. I do not expect that much in over 90F but some have been above that and no problem. We will see where we are after the next summer!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
The complaints were by far on models prior to ours. Ours should not be confused with those earlier models. We had a refrigerator in the 19' that was not nearly as good as our present refrigerator. And others had other models that had lots of problems. We will still have to see though if it holds up in a lot of Texas heat. I do not expect that much in over 90F but some have been above that and no problem. We will see where we are after the next summer!
That's true, the RMD 8 series seems to work better than the prior RML. And you're absolutely right - time will tell.