Escape table: I need to stay focused - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Escape table: I need to stay focused

Yesterday I visited Jim, of Jimrules forum name. I took photos of his 19'er front storage box, ciphered dimensions and made a template of the shape, all for my intended winter project of constructing a similar container from "bending" plywood, fiberglass cloth and epoxy. I have a bunch of left over materials from boat building, so why not use them up.

Well, one project only leads to another 11. While talking, Jim mentioned Iowa Dave's folding table. That got me thinking. So on the way home, I stopped at Harbor Freight and bought an adjustable height, folding steel saw horse and adapted it to the Escape table. Back in the Fall I replaced the stock Escape table top with one I had from my old 16' Casita. I like wood more than plastic, sometimes. This maple veneered 1/2" plywood table top is a smidgen lighter than the stock top.

So here are the adaptions of the H.F. sawhorse for use as an adjustable height, collapsible table . I use the bed area occasionally, and desired something that may be easier to use than the stock columns. We'll see if this works this coming season. This table can be remove to the outside for use if needed. The sawhorse is quite rigid and stable, but for travel mode I will need to secure it in some fashion.

Got any suggestions for securing, other than collapsing it & putting it in bed mode?

Now.....I need to get going on that storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2402.JPG   IMG_2403.JPG   IMG_2404.JPG  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice adaptation....
Old 01-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #3

Try, try again

We had a mild 45F & sunny day in tundra Wisconsin, so I tried out the folding leg table in my 19'er. Conclusion: Abject failure. Because of the floor valence at the front of the cabin, which I assume covers electrical wiring, the table as configured stuck out 3-4" from the front wall. A hindrance. I forgot about that valence, with the rig stored nearby under a cover for the winter and not quickly accessible.

Deploying the fold out legs was awkward and a hassle in the restricted space of the Escape. The table was heavy to boot. Looks like I'll go back to the post columns and column bases. I'll use the folding metal sawhorse as a shop table base, using my "old" Escape table top. Ya can never have too many tables, sometimes. But as this is adjustable in height, it can be a swell project assembly table with legs as low as they can go, and fold up to get out of the way when done. Glue doesn't stick much to formica, so another benefit there.
Guess I'm just too frugal to pop for the pricey adjustable pedestal aftermarket unit.

I'll work the problem.

Anyone out there with suggestions or their solutions?
Old 01-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
We had a mild 45F & sunny day in tundra Wisconsin, so I tried out the folding leg table in my 19'er. Conclusion: Abject failure. Because of the floor valence at the front of the cabin, which I assume covers electrical wiring, the table as configured stuck out 3-4" from the from the front wall.....Anyone out there with suggestions or their solutions?
Appreciate the self-effacing candor: "abject failure". Oh well, nothing ventured...

That full-size table is heavy and IMO larger than it needs to be for a standard dinette. If I were ordering a new trailer I would probably omit the u-shape that I have currently and ask that the standard table be smaller. Unless you are regularly seating four people that table could be 2/3 the size it is.

In the meantime: get a Springfield would be my suggestion. You read a lot of people liking them and not much if any of those who installed one and did not like it. The full-size table is just too much for a Lagun mount it seems.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #5

OTOH, the suggested Black Friday sale on the Gorilla aluminum fold up table for $25 is a hit. Perfect for the outdoor kitchen stove or grill and allows one to check high items on the trailer...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...P-47/305590237
Old 01-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #6

Good suggestion......but

The link and product you included is cool, lightweight....but 50 some inches long. A big bit too long for my hopeful application, but I'll check it out in person to see if it is adaptable. Thank you for your input.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

This one is a little smaller
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-3...P-20/100662616
Old 01-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
If only mine looked that good years of use and abuse but still going strong great to have
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have and generally like the springfield pedestal + dicor 2-way sliders, but its not as nice as I'd hoped it would be...

in particular, downsides:
1) pedestal clamps have to be very tight or tabletop tilts under unbalanced load
2) sliders aren't as smooth as I think they should be

nonetheless its a huge improvement over the stock dual post thing. Note I have the U shaped dinette with the short table, and a 2014 E21 which does not have the floor riser in the dinette area. I only occasionally convert the dinette to a bed when I/we have a guest sleeping over.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

I agree about the Lagun. Cantilevered like it would need to be would appear to be sketchy, and mounting problematic. And I concur about your recommendation on the Springfield, but I'm reluctant to pop for spending the coin on a mere occasion need item.

I need to stay focused.....this all started with building a front storage box.
Focus....stay focused....go back to the start of things.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I agree about the Lagun. Cantilevered like it would need to be would appear to be sketchy, and mounting problematic. And I concur about your recommendation on the Springfield, but I'm reluctant to pop for spending the coin on a mere occasion need item.

I need to stay focused.....this all started with building a front storage box.
Focus....stay focused....go back to the start of things.
Your adaption looks nice , just think table ,a little big . We even cut ours down to get into dinette easier . Didn’t cut the side that rests on the rails for extra bed . Springfield really dresses up the table and trailer and works so much better to lower l Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm pretty flexible on some things but the factory set-up took me all of 10 secs. in the factory demo to say "never".

Not only do I hate the quality of the posts and sockets but I also hate the table rocking if you put any weight on one edge or the other. While I'm hating thinigs, I also don't want two posts cluttering up my foot space.

So on my 19 I made a custom pedestal that was solid but lightweight. The rear mount was against the front panel and the rear part was near the rear edge of the table top. That left the whole central area under the table free and clear for feet.

It depends what your "mere occaision" means. To me it was, if it ever happened that I had to use the table as a bed I could undo a few screws and make it into a temporary bed.

The reverse is now true for me. I like the Springfield and had one previously in my boat. It's unlikely that I will ever need to use it as a bed but I like it because it's much better than the twin posts and leaves more floor room.

If "mere" means highly unlikely and you don't want to spring for a Springfield then I'd just fabricate your own using things like commercial boat seat bases etc. Worst case scenerio; you have to undo some screws to make the table into a bed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4230050_resize.jpg   24-04-2014 10-51-34 AM1_resize.JPG   IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Site Team

What I really dig about the Springfield + Dicor, with the U dinette, is being able to slide the shorter U table *back* so its almost touching the rear cushion... this makes it so much easier for us plus-size folks to get in and out
Old 01-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #14

Interestingly, the "U" table nowadays slides side to side. My 2014 did the front to rear but the 2019 is side to side.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Tom
If you would decide to make your Larger table into a smaller table (front to back) I have the router slot cutting bit for installing the vinyl edge which you could pry out of the original and reinstall after (shortening) cutting it down. You could borry it. Also a Bosch Sabre saw to cut the table down. Also a laminate bit if you want to change
Vinyl. On our 19 my brother and I built a new top but could have cut the old one down. He did the work. Rita was the job superintendent and I went for beer.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interestingly, the "U" table nowadays slides side to side. My 2014 did the front to rear but the 2019 is side to side.
My 2014 was standard side to side, I asked for it to be front to back, which they did before shipping it.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
my 2014 was side to side from the factory.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The table in our 21 with a Springfield mount wobbles side to side and front to back so I assume it is working properly .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The table in our 21 with a Springfield mount wobbles side to side and front to back so I assume it is working properly .
release the clamps, tighten the adjustment screw a turn or so, level the table and clamp it again. repeat if needed.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Always open to something better, however most here agree the stock table mounts suck. The cost of a Springfield is peanuts compared to it's overall usefulness.