Escaping, how I modified my TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,414
Great mods, very nicely done.

I like your treatment of the bathroom door. The gap at the top and bottom never appealed to me from the get-go and the hinges only allowing it to partly open and be in the way are a nuisance. Jim and I had a discussion about them at the rally a couple of years ago and I even got as far as welding up a prototype hinge that would allow the door to fully open but I could see that it'd be a lot of work to fabricate them in s/s totally from scratch. Interest in doing that sort of petered out.

So, when you say that the bathroom door "almost" reaches the fridge about how close is that?

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Chapitre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *2012 17B
Posts: 291
Any photo's of the bathroom door open?
__________________

__________________
Chapi II
2014 5.0TA
2012 17B Chapi
2011 Silverado
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Any photo's of the bathroom door open?
Here are a couple of pictures, the first one shows about where the stock door opens to, giving you about 6+ inches of space between the door and edge of the encounter. The second one shows the door fully open with the newer hinges, about 20+ inches. It is wide enough so a person does not need to turn to get by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5799.jpg (85.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5798.jpg (90.1 KB, 37 views)
__________________
Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 282
Wow your trailer is so beautiful! I love the flow of the counters and the sleek cabinets. Great vision!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,414
Thanks for the photos, that's a definite improvement. I think, in the past, several people have damaged and bent their bathroom door hinges, probably in some cases because the door got bumped while the occupants were trying to squeeze by.

Sigh, another mod to do

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Auburn, California
Trailer: 2017 5.0TA May ~ waiting anxiously ~
Posts: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to SterJen
I can't find where I go to see pictures. Please give me a hint :-)
SterJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterJen View Post
I can't find where I go to see pictures. Please give me a hint :-)
It is in the link at the bottom of the first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Great mods, very nicely done.

I like your treatment of the bathroom door. The gap at the top and bottom never appealed to me from the get-go and the hinges only allowing it to partly open and be in the way are a nuisance. Jim and I had a discussion about them at the rally a couple of years ago and I even got as far as welding up a prototype hinge that would allow the door to fully open but I could see that it'd be a lot of work to fabricate them in s/s totally from scratch. Interest in doing that sort of petered out.

So, when you say that the bathroom door "almost" reaches the fridge about how close is that?

Ron
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 27)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thanks for the photos, that's a definite improvement. I think, in the past, several people have damaged and bent their bathroom door hinges, probably in some cases because the door got bumped while the occupants were trying to squeeze by.

Sigh, another mod to do

Ron
Ron, the hinges (3 needed) specified on the website are made from thicker metal than the stock ones. It would be hard to bend them. Although the screw holes from the stock hinge do not line up with the new one, most are covered by the new hinge.
__________________
Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #19
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Here are a couple of pictures, the first one shows about where the stock door opens to, giving you about 6+ inches of space between the door and edge of the encounter. The second one shows the door fully open with the newer hinges, about 20+ inches. It is wide enough so a person does not need to turn to get by.
Interesting! The bathroom door in Ten Forward is hinged on the other side and opens toward the loft. Hummm.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 9,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Interesting! The bathroom door in Ten Forward is hinged on the other side and opens toward the loft. Hummm.
I would bet they would mount it either way. Something I had not considered yet. Left hand would be beneficial from the loft or outside, right hand for use from the dinette end.

I tell you, over the last month or so, Chris has given me hordes of things to think about. Well, not as much as he has done, as he has done much of the thinking for me. Not used to that, but kinda nice.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 27)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.