Exterior lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Exterior lights

Thinking that the exterior trailer lighting situation would be the same as at home was a mistake. Didn't realize that if you heard a noise outside at night on the drivers side that you'd have to go out, walk around the trailer in the dark and turn on the light to see what was there Now I think most people ordering are aware that they can order an interior switch for other exterior lights.

Well, that didn't help me so I've intalled lights on the front, rear and drivers side all coming on with one interior switch. I'd like to have used the existing drivers side light but since there's no schmetic to show where that wire runs and what else it's connected to I installed a second light.

The wiring path runs from the panel, behind the bathroom wall, up through the rear fridge compartment and up behind the baffle.

If it hadn't been for the moldy baffle it'd have been a quick and easy project. At any rate I'm happy to have 360* lighting.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-04-2015 11-50-32 AM2_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Nice tidy installation, Ron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Didn't realize that if you heard a noise outside at night on the drivers side that you'd have to go out, walk around the trailer in the dark and turn on the light to see what was there
That actually makes sense to me... if the factory-installed lamp is to be used as a work light when doing things on the street/drivers/service/left side of the trailer, such as hooking up or disconnecting utilities. My non-Escape fifth-wheel has locally-switched lamps like this on both the service side, and under the front (presumably for hitching/unhitching) - no inside switches for those.

This setup doesn't work to check out those noises, but one could just use a flashlight, aimed out whatever window one is looking out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nice tidy installation, Ron.
This setup doesn't work to check out those noises, but one could just use a flashlight, aimed out whatever window one is looking out.
I've found that what I mostly see when I shine a light out the window is my reflection and not much else.

I go by the theory if someones out there thinking bad things, lighting up the whole area sometimes gives them second thoughts. If not, then at least you can see what you're dealing with.

Ron
Old 04-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm just going to pull the covers over my head.
Have no interest in lighting up their target.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm just going to pull the covers over my head.
Have no interest in lighting up their target.
I think you've got that backwards

Ron
Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like the idea of staying in the trailer and pressing the alarm button on your vehicle key.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the Escape supplied exterior lights on the two sides and front of my 19'. They can be switched on and off from inside the trailer. They are not terribly bright, and I would be quite surprised if anyone would be frightened by their sudden illumination.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've found that what I mostly see when I shine a light out the window is my reflection and not much else.

I go by the theory if someones out there thinking bad things, lighting up the whole area sometimes gives them second thoughts. If not, then at least you can see what you're dealing with.

Ron
Good modification, Ron, and so glad you found and repaired the mold problem! Even though we opted out on the interior switch for this particular light, I did notice on our last build photos that the light fixture had been relocated. Checked w/ ETI and they confirmed--it has been lowered and is now closer to the wheels then the trailer roof. Guessing this position sheds more light on set-up areas. Also, it will illuminate that pesky raccoon's individual facial features and better allow for the identification of any intruders--from the knees down.

Seriously--I do agree, if someone or something is outside and contemplating mischief, folks need to do whatever they are comfortable with to discourage them. Safety first.
Peace~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
I like the idea of staying in the trailer and pressing the alarm button on your vehicle key.
Hadn't thought of this one! But years ago, before better illumination and longer-range bear spray, a campground host I worked with had two things in her discouragement arsenal she was comfortable with: a huge, very bright spotlight and the recording of a friend's enormous, viciously barking dog. She blasted me with the sound one day and I thought the earth beneath my feet had given way! I believe it was enough make any two or four legged critter beat a retreat.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
Good modification, Ron, and so glad you found and repaired the mold problem! Even though we opted out on the interior switch for this particular light, I did notice on our last build photos that the light fixture had been relocated. Checked w/ ETI and they confirmed--it has been lowered and is now closer to the wheels then the trailer roof. Guessing this position sheds more light on set-up areas. Also, it will illuminate that pesky raccoon's individual facial features and better allow for the identification of any intruders--from the knees down.

Seriously--I do agree, if someone or something is outside and contemplating mischief, folks need to do whatever they are comfortable with to discourage them. Safety first.
Peace~
Gae
You are talking about the D/S exterior light, it is now low? And still no interior switch, I guess.
Did they say why they moved it?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
You are talking about the D/S exterior light, it is now low? And still no interior switch, I guess.
Did they say why they moved it?
I added a light over the big storage box on my 21 and had that plus the D/S light (for hookups) put on an interior switch.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #12

Cathy, it is the D/S exterior light. After finding it lowered in the photo (check post #1368 under "It's Friday"), I emailed ETI just to confirm and received a response from Crystal. She didn't elaborate and I didn't pursue it. Just got the impression it was for set-up reasons. We may wish we had added the extra switch, but the exterior porch light w/ an interior switch seemed best for us. I was a bit concerned I might inadvertently blast neighbors with the light by hitting the wrong switch in the wee hours of the morning~
Gae
Old 04-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Thanks, Gae. We have almost never been close enough to anyone for the porch light to bother them even if we turn it on late. Those lights do not seem very bright.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #14

That's actually good to know, Cathy--thanks. The exterior lights on the Casita were, for some reason, quite bright. I was always conscious of this and didn't want to impose on anyone. Night nite~
Gae
Old 04-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
I did notice on our last build photos that the light fixture had been relocated. Checked w/ ETI and they confirmed--it has been lowered and is now closer to the wheels then the trailer roof.
Gae
Well that kind of funny because it would have been really easy to install a light lower down but I wanted to cast as large a pool of light as possible.

Ron
Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In almost countless years of RVing, I have never had anyone outside my various trailers at night that caused me concern, so I do not consider it a concern at this time. Obviously, there is always a first time but I'm not going to become a paranoid looking over my shoulder and turning on my lights every time I hear a noise or a raccoon walks by.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In almost countless years of RVing, I have never had anyone outside my various trailers at night that caused me concern, so I do not consider it a concern at this time. Obviously, there is always a first time but I'm not going to become a paranoid looking over my shoulder and turning on my lights every time I hear a noise or a raccoon walks by.
Same here. Plus I'm the kind of person who would just charge outside without thought demanding to know what's going on out here (of course, I don't camp in bear country). In addition, any exterior lights left on at night, regardless of how dim or afar one might think them to be, can be an annoyance to neighbors. No "city lights" for me, please, while camping...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
I betcha every law enforcement officer would say this is probably the safest and smartest action to take. I too also think bear spray is the farthest I'd go in terms of an offensive action.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
S In addition, any exterior lights left on at night, regardless of how dim or afar one might think them to be, can be an annoyance to neighbors. No "city lights" for me, please, while camping...
There are several variables in play here. First of all my 360* lighting isn't in place to light up the campsite full time. It's there if I need it. Better to have and not need then to wish you had it. Secondly I think that there's a huge variation in places where people are located for an overnight stop. If I was only stopping in RV parks and public camp grounds I probably wouldn't bother adding extra lighting. But for overnighting in some other areas, to me, it's worth knowing what's out there before you open your door.

Ron
Old 04-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
FWW: I had peripheral lights installed with an interior switch: 2 on the d/side, one in front and one in back. I wish I had another one on the door (passenger) side in the rear for cooking in the dark purposes. I did this as I often am a solo traveler. The only thing I wished for that did not occur to me to ask for: the existing lights on the d/side to have the ones with manual on/off switches so I could leave some light on at night. I have had requests to turn off the d/side lights, in some campgrounds, which of course, I did. I have since switched out the d/s lights to have those manual switches, so as not to bother others. I can leave the rest on (non-offending) and still feel a bit safer.