Extra Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Extra Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation??

We just put our deposit down on a 21 and are working on the options list. We are trying to decide the purpose in ordering the extra insulation/thermal windows and spray foam insulation options, and trying to figure out why many (most?) of the option lists posted in the forum include insulation. I've searched these forums but am not coming up with an answer, so I'll start a new thread.

We're coming out of tent, live in New England, probably will do much of our camping in the northeast, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the extra insulation/thermal windows and spray foam insulation options?

bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
The extra insulation and insulated windows helps keep the trailer much warmer and also help cut down on moisture condensation in cold weather camping. The spray foam on the bottom both help keep the floor warmer and help prevent any of the the tanks from freezing up in freezing temperatures. The heating coils inside the spray foam give you even more protection against the tank freezing in very cold weather - but my understanding if that they are really only useful if you have an AC supply, ie - are plugged in somewhere.

You will have to decide how much camping you are planning on doing in cold weather to determine if the cost is worthwhile for you. We camp a lot in the early spring and late fall and are very glad we have the window/insulation package. We get much less condensation than we used to get in our similar sized Scamp that had only the normal insulation. The spray foam was not an option when we bought ours.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Those who add the insulation/thermal windows & spray foam insulation are looking for the advantages of holding heat in during cold weather, holding heat out during the warm weather and having the advantage of a quieter unit throughout the seasons.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
kstock - thanks for adding the info on summer, etc -- we almost never camp in hot weather so I tend to forget that side of it!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Bill,
If you can make it down here to Pennsylvania, my 21' will be here in about 2 weeks and you can see the options you inquired about.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
During some early trips to Northern Ct. when the 1st of the state parks open, as well as a couple times come Columbus day, we've camped when it was below freezing. In the past we go dry and suck down the 2 batteries in a weekend. If possible I'd like to go later in the season as some of the State Parks towards the Ma. shore are open year round with only electric. Hopefully the extra insulation will make it possible to stretch into November and maybe sneak out earlier then mid April.
We're also starting to head west on trips with fall being our preferred time, the Rockies can get pretty cold early fall.
I have a feeling that the floor, being uninsulated, gets cold easily. The spray on sounds like a good idea.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bill,
If you can make it down here to Pennsylvania, my 21' will be here in about 2 weeks and you can see the options you inquired about.
Wow -- getting close now JIm! I bet you are anxious.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

I should mention we are probably not doing A/C since neither my wife nor I like it (and it cuts into the head room).

Does the underside spray foam insulation do anything to help protect the bottom of the trailer, either on the road or when parked? At home its going to be parked on gravel so there is moisture and critters to consider.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

The bottom, being solid fiberglass, is plenty strong, in my opinion I wouldn't get the foam only to protect it. But had it been an option when we bought ours I would have bought it for the insulation factor.

Critters - what kind? -- the foam sure won't stop one our determined red squirrels, but then I think only concrete and steel do that!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

I was thinking about mice or squirrels chewing on wires or rubber parts. Maybe they don't like the taste of spray foam.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!