extra insulation or not - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Wouldn't the open windows, the bathroom vent, the stove top vent, the MaxFan and possibly door, let the heat and noise in?
We often, even in summer, don't keep any windows open overnight. Maybe a hatch cracked open, but that's it. I know in some much hotter areas some would want windows open all night but most of the time ours are closed and we've heard the difference in noise level with them closed so we're happy to have them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Insulation may do even better at keeping the heat out in summer (with most windows closed and vents open a little) than keeping heat in, in cold weather. Depends on how much heat on the trailer in summer. Covering windows in summer is very important also to keep heat out.
I will add to my own post. I meant to say the above for daytime. In hot weather, it is best to open windows at night to let the cooler air in, keeping them closed in the day.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We don't have the extra insulation and double pane Windows and don't miss it. Of course we are in Texas and camp in milder winters and hot summers. We elected for the insulation under the trailer to keep the floors at a more constant temperature. We have been as low as 35 degrees F and as high as 100 F. No real condensation problems with proper ventilation and the furnace and air conditioner really keep the inside warm/cold. It was a cost/benefit decision for us and we are happy with our decision.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We often, even in summer, don't keep any windows open overnight. Maybe a hatch cracked open, but that's it. I know in some much hotter areas some would want windows open all night but most of the time ours are closed and we've heard the difference in noise level with them closed so we're happy to have them.

Ron
How are you able to measure the difference in noise levels if you only camp with one trailer?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Those of us that have had more than one molded trailer and went from single-pane to double-pane windows know the noise level difference. I camp a lot at one particular campground, often in the same site. Granted the people around me are different each time. But when I go inside Ten Forward and shut the door (no windows or vents open), its very quiet. That wasn't usually the came in the Scamp with the single-pane windows. Trust me.

BUT, YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quiet must be subjective. After having a soft sided trailer, the Escape is indeed an improvement, but not nearly as much as I had hoped for. Try sleeping in a Walmart parking lot, you'll see what I mean. And yes, I have the extra thermal package.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those of us that have had more than one molded trailer and went from single-pane to double-pane windows know the noise level difference. I camp a lot at one particular campground, often in the same site. Granted the people around me are different each time. But when I go inside Ten Forward and shut the door (no windows or vents open), its very quiet. That wasn't usually the came in the Scamp with the single-pane windows. Trust me.
BUT, YMMV
I hear what you're saying Donna, and I do trust you, but I think you're comparing noise levels from 2 entirely different sources (trailers).
Again, if I was pondering the insulation/double glazed window option ($1000.00 extra and not all windows are going to be double glazed) I would try to imagine my camping requirements and buy accordingly. Summertime use, in my opinion, this option is not necessary if there is no air conditioning unit ($1100.00 extra) and you want to open windows and or your door. Winter camping use, most definitely get the option.
I certainly would not buy the option because I felt it would be that much quieter.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I purchased the option more for the condensation issue. Second winter and they're working as I had hoped. Too, summer doesn't always mean camping when it's HOT... remember a lot of folks on the west coast camp at the beach where it's 60 degrees in July/August.

I think Bob said it best "Quiet must be subjective."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I think I'd have to agree that it's probably desirable to have the extra insulation and double glazed windows if you winter camp cutting down on condensation and such, but I'm still puzzled on how, with out air conditioning (AC), it's cooler and quieter in the summer. Without AC wouldn't the windows be open to make use of the fans? Wouldn't the open windows, the bathroom vent, the stove top vent, the MaxFan and possibly door, let the heat and noise in?
In bright, direct sunlight, even the white surface of the Escape gets at least warm, and sometimes hot. Without the extra insulation, that reradiates to the inside even with the windows open. The extra insulation will cut down this effect.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
In bright, direct sunlight, even the white surface of the Escape gets at least warm, and sometimes hot. Without the extra insulation, that reradiates to the inside even with the windows open. The extra insulation will cut down this effect.
Sure, but by how much?
Wouldn't that same insulation keep the re-radiated heat inside?
Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
It depends entirely on how and where the owner is going to use the trailer, but it is a trailer and most see a wide range of climates. In 2 nights you can be from up in the cold of the mountains to the heat of the desert, but it gets cold there too. And Texas is a steam bath in the summer. Since I use our trailer in the early spring and late fall in the upper Midwest, all of the insulation packages and heat pads were the first thing on the build sheet. And if it was up for sale, it would appeal to a wider range of buyers. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
52 per cent. This information can be obtained by reading a copy of the U.S. Congressional Safety Pamphlet, XXVII, Department of Trailer Double-Pain Silence and Inter-continental Shower Condements , page 99, sub-paragraph D.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
It depends entirely on how and where the owner is going to use the trailer, but it is a trailer and most see a wide range of climates. In 2 nights you can be from up in the cold of the mountains to the heat of the desert, but it gets cold there too. And Texas is a steam bath in the summer. Since I use our trailer in the early spring and late fall in the upper Midwest, all of the insulation packages and heat pads were the first thing on the build sheet. And if it was up for sale, it would appeal to a wider range of buyers. Loren
That's pretty much what I'm saying. Figure out what kind of camping seems appealing or that you currently do, and adjust the option list accordingly. The areas that you are most likely to frequent should also come into consideration. There's no sense in paying for options that will not come in useful just because they may appeal to a wider range of buyer when it comes time to sell. If that were the case, all options should be purchased.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
How are you able to measure the difference in noise levels if you only camp with one trailer?
I totally agree here. I have the extra insulation but was mildly shocked at how loud my television/music was from outside of the trailer one winter evening. (No, I don't have a hearing problem...yet.) So I am not in the noise-reduction faction with regard to extra insulation as I think it is insignificant.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
52 per cent. This information can be obtained by reading a copy of the U.S. Congressional Safety Pamphlet, XXVII, Department of Trailer Double-Pain Silence and Inter-continental Shower Condements , page 99, sub-paragraph D.
Only 52%...that surprises me but, I knew I was right. Dang, I knew I'd read this somewhere, I just couldn't remember when or where. Thanks Myron.
By The Way, the information contained within this document is also applicable in Canada!!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 5TA
We've spent April in the mid northern BC area, and last November were on Vancouver Island for 2 weeks. With a small electric heater we were able to keep the inside temperatures at 21 degrees (table height) when it was only +3 outside. The insulation, although thin, along with the windows seemed to offer fairly decent heat retention. Without it I suspect things would have got much, much colder.
As for noise reduction, it doesn't work for that, only heat retention.
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #37

We purchased our 19, with double insulation, in the walls and ceiling, as well as double windows.
We did not get insulation in the floor, we have throw carpets.
Our first night after we bought the trailer, while pulling it home was minus 10 Celsius.
Started the furnace, had a glass of wine.
Went to bed had a nice comfortable sleep.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #38

Trailer: 2004 aliner
We are new to Escapes and are shopping for a used one. If you do not get the thermal windows a insulation option, does the standard trailer come with any type of insulation like reflectix type or is that considered the insulation package?
rcaldwell0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Standard is the upper half (roughly) of the trailer has insulation, the lower has nothing, just a single layer of gel coated fiberglass.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #40

Trailer: 2004 aliner
Padlin
Thanks for the information. This site and members are awesome!
rcaldwell0 is offline   Reply With Quote