Extra solar or TV Antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer
Extra solar or TV Antenna

Hello,

Has anyone had this decision wanted to do a second roof mount solar panel on my build for a 21' but would lose the TV antenna. We really want to use the TV too so looking for antenna options that work.
Thanks
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the antenna and never used it, always used the cg cable or if there was no cable, there was no signal.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Thank you cpaharley2008
Old 11-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmixer View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had this decision wanted to do a second roof mount solar panel on my build for a 21' but would lose the TV antenna. We really want to use the TV too so looking for antenna options that work.
Thanks
If you want to keep the antenna, which we found was quite good and generally if there was a signal provided better picture quality than the cable, you could always get ETI to provide an external plug in for a portable solar panel. In that way you could get something approaching a reasonable compromise.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #5

Yes thank you we are having the zamp port put on the trailer was just thinking about the convenience of roof top and if the TV antenna really worked. Thanks
Old 11-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Our Build Sheet has both the second solar panel and the antenna. ??
No one at ETI said we could not have both.
Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Yes thank you we are having the zamp port put on the trailer was just thinking about the convenience of roof top and if the TV antenna really worked. Thanks
Obviously you would lose the convenience (and security) of the roof top, but we have found that just having one solar panel was always good enough, although we don't use lots of power as we don't have a microwave/instapot/or electric coffee pot. However, having the Zamp port and a plug in might give you a bit more flexibility in setting a portable solar panel at a better sun angle/direction when the sun is at lower winter elevation.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have dual rooftop solar panels and no TV antenna on our current 21 ft trailer
If we were to do it again , we would purchase a single Solar panel and the TV antenna
For us the dual solar panels are overkill .’
We have a single 100 watt portable solar panel on our Casita which has been more than adequate
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Our decision

We debated this same issue as you are. FWIW, our decision for our E21 (to be finished Dec 7th) was to go with the single roof mounted solar panel, the Jack TV antenna and a Zamp port for a portable solar panel. We really don't like watching campground CATV on our HDTV so we opted for the roof mounted antenna. In our previous trailer we used one of those flat HD antennas taped to a window with some success but we hope the roof mounted version will be more effective.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Thanks Chama I think that is going to be my plan unless other suggestions lead me to change. I am going to try to do a search for best portable solar panels to see what the cost will be.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have the King antenna mounted on a extendable pole on the rear bumper. When in the "up" position it is about 3' higher than it would be if it was on the roof. Works well and doesn't take too much fine tuning.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since I don't have a TV or watch one, and dry camp most of the winter, the second solar panel was a no brainer. I also had a Zamp port added so I can plug in a portable panel when I am parked in the shade or need a bit extra on a string of cloudy days. So far, with the exception of a very heavily treed site at Silver Falls, OR, I haven't needed it...
Old 11-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Trailer: ?
There are a lot of variables that dictate a persons solar power/battery requirements. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Some of the variables are

Your latitude. Alaska? Arizona?

The season of the year. Summer? Winter?

Altitude. Sea level? 10,000’?

Typical cloud cover in your favorite camping areas?

Typical campsite you prefer? Bright and sunny? Shady and cool?

There are three things you will never hear a dedicated boondocker complaining about

Having too much solar power
Too many batteries
Or having too much truck.

Enjoy your travels

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I opted for no TV antenna on roof, but mounted one on a telescoping flag pole mounted on rear bumper. When needed I just run coax wire from antenna to exterior trailer coax connector.

Pole also allows for future Wifi or Cell booster antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
TV Antenna DSC_2250.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have a King Jack antenna head attached to a 15' pool cleanings pole (stows to 5' ), and it stows under the bed on our 21. I attached a short piece of PVC pipe to the spare tire upright support. The pool pole drops into the PVC pipe and the antenna can extend to 15' above the bumper. If I have a line of sight shot I can pick up stations 50 mi. away. Go to the TV Fool website to find directions to local TV channels. I installed a tv jack near the rear of the trailer to connect the antenna to. On the road I connect a small tv antenna to the tv if near a town.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I had it to do over I'd delete the JACK antenna and try something like a LEAF https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Televisi...XBS9BMMATFP55H in a window. If it wasn't satisfactory I'd do an external something like Kent.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is what I do if there is no cable, works fine.....
Old 11-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If I had it to do over I'd delete the JACK antenna and try something like a LEAF https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Televisi...XBS9BMMATFP55H in a window. If it wasn't satisfactory I'd do an external something like Kent.
We did not want that expensive Jack antenna, but we don't have a TV, however, if we do, we'll just add a Mohu Leaf we already have.

I would not buy the second solar from ETI, since at $850 the second panel is expensive and they mount it at the front or the camper in the airstream.

Our Escape has a single 170 watt solar panel in back, and can glue a 160 watt flexible antenna, where the Jack antenna would have been, if we ever feel we need more solar. I have NO interest in a portable solar, when a 160 watt panel added to our existing 170 watts would more than do the job at an equal or less cost and without the hauling/setup time needed for a portable. I seen and talked to enough portable owners to know I don't want to go there. So far, in our maiden voyage, we have gone 11 days with our single solar, with short daylight hours and camping in lots of shade, before we got a electric site (and we were still at 12.2-12.4 volts).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
We have a single solar panel and the jack antenna roof top option. I was surprised at how well the antenna works and often benefit from several high definition stations in the US. Single solar panel gives us ample power.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
AGM Batteries

I supplied eti with agm battery’s with my 5.0 TA. Used them for 2 months with the stock panel and never when below 70% I watched tv every night , ran my maxx fan liberally and never had a issue with power.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21', roof mounted solar, tv antenna