Factory Modifications? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
JCZ

Factory Modifications?

Tammy has sent me an email asking us to think about any factory modifications that we might want done. We've had boats before but this 5.0 will be our first RV and so we don't have any experience to know or even think about what modifications we'd like.

If you had Reace do any modifications to your trailer while it was being built will you please tell me what that modification was and why.......the pros and cons of the modifications? Especially those that have the 5.0.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

JC & Terrie

P/S It sounds like we're going to be the first in California with a 5.0........we're excited!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Re: Factory Modifications?

Plan where you want your TV, I wanted mine in the front dinette so I had my antenna/12v outlet there. I also had Reace install 1/2 plywood behind the bath wall so that my tv mount options are not limited to corners only. I had the cushions made 2" thicker for comfort and seeing out the front window. I had the 120v moved to front counter top for cooking ease. I had all stainless steel as it wear better. Plan your 12v outlets. I had extra exterior lights wired to one interior switch as well as each one can be turned off.
I had Reace install a digital thermostat for the furnace, the a/c was not available. I opted for the smaller 9200 a/c for possible generator use if need be. The rear bike rack can be used for items you do not want to carry inside. I opted for group #29 battery/w solar since I wanted the biggest single battery in my storage box to save weight. I also opted for smaller refer to get the 3 way to have 12v choice for use.

Item's I wish now I had done, install 12v lights inside underbed storage areas and shelves in closet.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
JCZ

Thank you Jim......this is exactly what I'm looking for. I stayed up till midnight reading many threads that you'd started (and others too) in the modifications board.

Already had a good list going but the 120v recepticle on the front instead of the side seems practical to me so I added that as well as an extra exterior light by the propane tanks area.

Thanks a bunch for your input! I look forward to the others input.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Don't forget the light on the street side for this nighttime hookups.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Don't forget the light on the street side for this nighttime hookups.
Yes, one on both sides and one up front.....three exterior lights?

I plan on being in places that'll be well below freezing and up to 112F-115F also and we want to be comfortable in our retirement. We plan to full time at least for a couple years after we retire so we have to make this trailer as comfortable as possible. I'd rather just get it all done at the factory. So I have a few.......OK, a lot....of questions for you and the others that have some real fiberglass experience.

I've read concerns about UV damage to the gelcoat over time. Is there a brand of protectant or coating that will guard against this more than another brand? I'm kind of anal about my vehices looking better than most others but the products I use on my motorcycles, cars and trucks can't be used on plastic or fiberglass. I'd think the fiberglass protectants have a UV or SPF protectant rating the same as other products.....which one is closest to 100%?

Are the Escape trailers a true gelcoat or are they a filon fiberglass?

Hoakie, Alf, anybody else with a 5.0......do I need a Maxx Fan over the bed or is the stock "vent" enough?

We will be plugged in when we're hosting however, when we're not hosting we'll be doing a lot of boondocking far from civilization. Being technology challeneged.....should I be looking for AC tv or 12V (we will have the solor panel from the factory)?

Also (I'm sure we're not the only two) we have no common interest in our TV programs so we plan on two TVs using headphones. Would it be practical to have one mounted over the stairs where Alf has his (on a swivel braket) and one on the shower wall? They'd pretty much be side by side in that configuration. Or should we have one over the dinette area (and fight over whose going to sit up and watch TV......we both like to watch TV until we get sleepy. At our age, sometimes that's nearly all night long for one or the other of us).

Being technology challenged and knowing that we plan on doing an equal amount of being plugged in as well as boondocking and needing headphone jacks in the TV as well as needing to be mounted on swivel wall mounts, is this a good candidate to fit our needs? http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen...stand-407.html
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
JCZ

More info on the Jensen 19" Mdl. # JE1911RTL:

The JE1911RTL’s current draw is 65 mA in standby and 2.2 A max when turned on.

Again, I'm technology challenged so I don't have a clue what that means as far as does it draw a lot or little power.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Team

I bought the Jensen 19"dvd 12v combo and found it too big for the camper. I use it now in the house and bought the 15" 12v Jensen, perfect size. The larger one would not fit flat and seemed to overpower the room. The smaller one is just right. The vent over the bed in the 5.0 I think maybe an escape hatch, as such, a cover should not be used.
As far as gelcoat, it is a true fiberglass finish, not the f/g laminate and a good marine/auto wax should suffice. Sun is the worst offender. I rigged a sun shade over my parking pad for that reason, it lets rain thru but 90% UV protection.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: JCZ... We have the 3 ext. lights all separate switches tho. We use the one behind the pin box most as it attracts the bugs away from under the awning and it is an indirect light so much nicer and easier on the eyes.
We don't even have the std. over the bed vent... but we use the MaxxFan, near the foot of the bed... 24h. if necessary. A/C only when plugged into a current bush.
I use Meguiars 50 Marine/RV one step, once a year. It will take care of minor chaulking of the Gelcoat. Before and after uses I use Meguiars Deep Chrystal Car Wash, as I too like a clean machine!!! Ok..so I'm suffering OCD and we don't have central vac.
When travelling my wife takes her laptop so it can be a second(12v) TV...but we rarely use the 19"(120v) Toshiba except when plugged in, and then for the built-in DVD player. At home I do my best sleeping in front of the TV but nothing compares with the sleep I get in the trailer. I always have some crossword puzzles too unless I can figure out something better to occupy my time. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ

Hoakie, Alf, anybody else with a 5.0......do I need a Maxx Fan over the bed or is the stock "vent" enough?

If you open the vent over the bed and then turn the stock Maxx Fan on set to draw air out of the trailer it pulls air in through the loft vent and then out the Maxx Fan. This creates a great breeze in the loft area. I leave it on overnight when it's hot; even when boondocking as the fan draws very little current.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Plan where you want your TV, I wanted mine in the front dinette so I had my antenna/12v outlet there. I also had Reace install 1/2 plywood behind the bath wall so that my tv mount options are not limited to corners only. I had the cushions made 2" thicker for comfort and seeing out the front window. I had the 120v moved to front counter top for cooking ease. I had all stainless steel as it wear better. Plan your 12v outlets. I had extra exterior lights wired to one interior switch as well as each one can be turned off.
I had Reace install a digital thermostat for the furnace, the a/c was not available. I opted for the smaller 9200 a/c for possible generator use if need be. The rear bike rack can be used for items you do not want to carry inside. I opted for group #29 battery/w solar since I wanted the biggest single battery in my storage box to save weight. I also opted for smaller refer to get the 3 way to have 12v choice for use.

Item's I wish now I had done, install 12v lights inside underbed storage areas and shelves in closet.
Check out the 11th post on this link
http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1987.0

This would be an easy retro-fit to do.