Finalizing our 19 Build Sheet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The problem with the portable ones are those times the cg power pedestal is on a piece of 4x4 about 12" from the ground, those are the times you would really want to check the power but can not hook up the EMS. The built in is theft proof, forget proof, weather proof and always useable.
Another problem with the portable is you don't have the advantage of the remote display. I often check it to see how much current I'm drawing, particularly when connected to a 15/20 amp receptacle.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We included the raised dinette so we could see outside without feeling like we were in the basement. We went back and forth over the microwave and finally decided on the larger refrigerator and no microwave because we liked the idea of a separate freezer compartment and did not think that we would use the microwave very much (rarely use it at home). Finally, we installed one drawer below the wardrobe and two evenly spaced shelves in the wardrobe which added quite a bit of additional storage space. We thought that we had our build sheet down soon after making our deposit but at the last minute, and after reading the forum for hours, we added the above to our build. For us, I am very glad we "discovered" these options.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I find the portable works well. It is waterproof, and secures nicely with metal tab. I’ve never found a connection I could not use even on my 12,000 mile trip to Alaska.
Moreover, if ur internal unit fries u r stuck with no power. Done. Inoperable till u spend some serious bucks to replace it. Not too mention the hassle. Mine, I get a free replacement from Progressive Industries.
And I’d rather be hiking than checking how many amps I’m using...and if I get a different rv I just take it with me, or sell it.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another problem with the portable is you don't have the advantage of the remote display. I often check it to see how much current I'm drawing, particularly when connected to a 15/20 amp receptacle.
Not as convenient as reading an indoor display, but the highest end portable model EMS-PT30X by Progressive Industries does have amperage use on a scrolling display. This unit is more expensive than the hardwired HW30C so it makes even less sense to me to go this route.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #25

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
I find the portable works well. It is waterproof, and secures nicely with metal tab. I’ve never found a connection I could not use even on my 12,000 mile trip to Alaska.
Moreover, if ur internal unit fries u r stuck with no power. Done. Inoperable till u spend some serious bucks to replace it. Not too mention the hassle. Mine, I get a free replacement from Progressive Industries.
And I’d rather be hiking than checking how many amps I’m using...and if I get a different rv I just take it with me, or sell it.
Most of the problems with the internal would involve flipping the little switch on the display to bypass it. For the remaining little bit it is not that hard to remove the cushion, lift the lid and move the power over. There is plenty of cord available in the bench so it can be moved. And since it has a lifetime warranty why would it cost serious bucks? The unit would be free to replace or open and swap out a board. Even if you paid someone to move the power you are looking at less than $100
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
There are a number of suppliers on line who sell the unit u mention for less than the built in one. Mine is the one u mention and it was less. Unless u r able to remove and replace the built in unit yourself, u r kidding ur self about paying someone else less than $100 to do it.
Glad ur happy with ur built in unit. I’m pleased with my portable one. The key is to protect ur electrical system and both do that well.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can't be bothered to read ur posts.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
There are a number of suppliers on line who sell the unit u mention for less than the built in one. Mine is the one u mention and it was less. Unless u r able to remove and replace the built in unit yourself, u r kidding ur self about paying someone else less than $100 to do it.
Glad ur happy with ur built in unit. I’m pleased with my portable one. The key is to protect ur electrical system and both do that well.
That's odd, the hardwired is about $30 less than the portable and every place I've seen reflects the same ratio as far as price.
If you own a trailer either you become familiar with repair and maintenance or you prepare to spend time finding good repair people and money on the repairs. Now I would not do major fiberglass repairs but replacing the EMS is well within my skill set.
The new progressive portable is UL listed, the older one was not. I had one of them and it was not even water resistant which the new one is. But mine is not going to grow legs and walk off. Which is something I've had things like chairs a mat our cooler full of steaks and beer and the power cord to the trailer do once at a small campground. The portable uses a metal part on the cord that looks like a thick beer can tab to hold the lock. Which is the same method of theft control our old Progressive portable EMS had. I could demonstrate how quick I could steal your EMS if you would like me too
And the thief who stole the power cord did not realize all he had to do was spin the ring and he could have unplugged the cord from the trailer instead of cutting it. Thanks to him I have a spare under the bed by the water heater along with a 25 foot 30 amp extension.
Attached Thumbnails
ems.png  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 19/July-18
Table in U-Shape Dinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Foam spray underneath trailer will help the thermal windows work and 2 pop up tables in the dinette area could eliminate the need for a table there, sometimes.
We are going with a U-shape dinette in our 19. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to the two pedestal base arrangement for the table?
dashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post
We are going with a U-shape dinette in our 19. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to the two pedestal base arrangement for the table?
Yes I do. We have a Springfield pedestal, but I'm going to remove that after this camping trip and install the Lagun Table mount. It's been sitting in storage waiting for me to install.

The U-Shaped dinette in the 19 is very tight. The Lagun mount IMHO is by far the most versatile mount for a table in that layout. Mounted in the middle of the back bench, you can swing the table either way, and there's nothing on the floor. You can rotate the table 360 degrees as well. But, unlike the Springfield, you can easily remove the table and store it when not needed.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes I do. We have a Springfield pedestal, but I'm going to remove that after this camping trip and install the Lagun Table mount. It's been sitting in storage waiting for me to install.

The U-Shaped dinette in the 19 is very tight. The Lagun mount IMHO is by far the most versatile mount for a table in that layout. Mounted in the middle of the back bench, you can swing the table either way, and there's nothing on the floor. You can rotate the table 360 degrees as well. But, unlike the Springfield, you can easily remove the table and store it when not needed.
Robert,
You are really going to like the change when you can remove the table with the U. We don’t even take the table any longer and have a small 24” cocktail table if needed, but it’s a really nice lounge without any table.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Robert,
You are really going to like the change when you can remove the table with the U. We don’t even take the table any longer and have a small 24” cocktail table if needed, but it’s a really nice lounge without any table.
Good to confirm what I suspected Greg. Thanks. I'll do a thread when I get around to installing it.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
We are very happy with our new 19, after the fact, I wish I would have added two external cargo access hatches to the build - a small locking door on the DS rear behind the water heater, and a larger one on the PS front to access under the bench seat. There is a ton of room under the bed, the external hatch is really handy, and we use rolling clear totes for clothing storage under the bed. Two items we will be changing: the stiff shower hose and the shower curtain.
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerdoug View Post
We are very happy with our new 19, after the fact, I wish I would have added two external cargo access hatches to the build - a small locking door on the DS rear behind the water heater, and a larger one on the PS front to access under the bench seat. There is a ton of room under the bed, the external hatch is really handy, and we use rolling clear totes for clothing storage under the bed. Two items we will be changing: the stiff shower hose and the shower curtain.
I'm with you Doug on the shower hose and shower curtain. We replaced the stiff plastic shower hose with this one from Delta.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YFXCOU..._eDK4AbM84YC0G

For the shower curtain, the wife just picked up a white fabric shower curtain liner at the local store, and then cut it to make it narrower and sewed the cut seam. Works very well, and less than $5.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm with you Doug on the shower hose and shower curtain. We replaced the stiff plastic shower hose with this one from Delta.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YFXCOU..._eDK4AbM84YC0G

For the shower curtain, the wife just picked up a white fabric shower curtain liner at the local store, and then cut it to make it narrower and sewed the cut seam. Works very well, and less than $5.
They also make that hose in a 40 inch size if you do not want it laying all over.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We used this shower curtain. It is nice fabric and waterproof. Plus it has weights all along the bottom. We cut it down and hemmed it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 AM   #36
Site Team

Actually Ken, I think ours is the 40" hose as well. I posted the wrong link.