First impressions 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Posts: 80
First impressions 17B

We picked up our 17B on July 18th and towed it home (6000 Kim's), arriving here a week ago.
Overall very impressed with the trailer, the staff and Escape Industries. It appears to be well made. Tows very well, comfortable. We got the double bed option, great mattress.

The AC is a bit noisy but found once the trailer cooled off it didn't run that much. It was 94* out, but we had the addition insulation and thermal windows, that probably helps. Plus we were advised by Escape to run the fan on "auto" to reduce sound level.

The refrigerator has a noisy fan that turns on once the outside temps go above 90*. I see there is a mod to change that fan out for a quieter pair. I may do that.

Two items that I'll be changing are the battery disconnect switch and the position of the display for the surge protector.

The issues with the battery disconnect switch have already been identified on this forum. I've ordered a rotary battery disconnect switch and I'll replace it as soon as it arrives.

The issue with the surge protector display are two fold. I turned the switch off 3 times over a couple of weeks by brushing it with my leg when seated in the dinette. It's not obvious it's been accidentally turned off. I need to get on my hands and knees under the table to look at the display to see that. I don't know why an important display can only be read by crawling under the dining table. The display has a long cable so it could have easily been mounted in a better location.

My first modifications to the trailer will be to move that display, and add the new battery switch.

The solar controller is ok but the SOC display is based on battery voltage. Turning on any load drops the % charge by 5 or 6%. I'll replace this controller and install a battery monitor next.

Bob
__________________

Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 18,807
Interesting, I have never accidentally turned off my EMS display, maybe tape the switch would be simpler. The disconnect is back in the corner and has never been off in my last 3 Escapes. Maybe sit on the other side of the dinette?
__________________

__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,347
First impressions 17B

The standard-issue battery disconnect got shut off routinely in our 17B (small kids with short, wiggly legs). So we had ETI put in a recessed, marine-style disconnect when we got our 19.

IMG_2038.jpg

Never had an issue with EMS getting switched off in either trailer. I’d also try tape over the switch first.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,535
Used to have ours get knocked fairly often, a few years back I took the cheap route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Switch.jpg (197.0 KB, 25 views)
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Bea
Senior Member
 
Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Northern California, California
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Used to have ours get knocked fairly often, a few years back I took the cheap route.
We like your 'cheap route'...do you by chance have a link for the plastic protector? Thanks in advance. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
We picked up our 17B on July 18th and towed it home (6000 Kim's), arriving here a week ago.
Overall very impressed with the trailer, the staff and Escape Industries. It appears to be well made. Tows very well, comfortable. We got the double bed option, great mattress.

The AC is a bit noisy but found once the trailer cooled off it didn't run that much. It was 94* out, but we had the addition insulation and thermal windows, that probably helps. Plus we were advised by Escape to run the fan on "auto" to reduce sound level.

The refrigerator has a noisy fan that turns on once the outside temps go above 90*. I see there is a mod to change that fan out for a quieter pair. I may do that.

Two items that I'll be changing are the battery disconnect switch and the position of the display for the surge protector.

The issues with the battery disconnect switch have already been identified on this forum. I've ordered a rotary battery disconnect switch and I'll replace it as soon as it arrives.

The issue with the surge protector display are two fold. I turned the switch off 3 times over a couple of weeks by brushing it with my leg when seated in the dinette. It's not obvious it's been accidentally turned off. I need to get on my hands and knees under the table to look at the display to see that. I don't know why an important display can only be read by crawling under the dining table. The display has a long cable so it could have easily been mounted in a better location.

My first modifications to the trailer will be to move that display, and add the new battery switch.

The solar controller is ok but the SOC display is based on battery voltage. Turning on any load drops the % charge by 5 or 6%. I'll replace this controller and install a battery monitor next.

Bob
Bob you are not alone ,a lot of us have bitched about these items . You will love the rotary switch and moving it . We left our surge where it is but it was many times shut off and we didn’t know It . I used a heat gun and made a cover with clear acrylic. It bent very easy over a 2by 4 piece of wood .left a space if needed to slide with say a butter knife etc. If interested let me know I will get you a picture .
Victron controllers and battery monitors are what we installed in our trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We like your 'cheap route'...do you by chance have a link for the plastic protector? Thanks in advance. -Bea
I'll bet he made it.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We like your 'cheap route'...do you by chance have a link for the plastic protector? Thanks in advance. -Bea
Bea very easy to make with a heat gun to bend plastic over a piece of wood . Drill hole in center . Maybe a little sanding to shape . First saw Myron made one then I copied his . When I replaced switch I gave my old one to Myron at Quartsite . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,535
correct, cut to size, drill hole, heat with a heat gun, bend around a board in a vise, sand.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Bea
Senior Member
 
Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Northern California, California
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 120
Thank you padlin, rubicon327 and Pat! We will give it a try! Yours looks professionally made. Ours will probably look a little more like 'Hey Bubba - look what I made' .....

And thanks to Lanark Camper for your post - a quieter refrigerator fan was not on our radar. Great ideas here. Thanks everyone! -Bea
__________________

Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.