Fix for the new screw on power cord - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Fix for the new screw on power cord

As many of you have expressed the new screw on power cord is a PITA. Because it is fine thread it keeps wanting to cross thread. This replacement ring converts it back to a quick twist lock. The original ring just pulls off and you push the new ring on with a little twisting motion. It actually holds the cord tighter that the original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have been looking for a battery meter so I don't have to plug something into the 12 volt plugs. Ending up installing this one that also has 2 USB and wired it over to the converter on it's own fuse. It should charge our cell phone better than the factory USB.

Attached Thumbnails
20170509_132244.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I also have been looking for a battery meter so I don't have to plug something into the 12 volt plugs. Ending up installing this one that also has 2 USB and wired it over to the converter on it's own fuse. It should charge our cell phone better than the factory USB.

Nice work. Put one of those DC voltmeters in my father's Scamp (without the USB) and it was very handy for battery status in a quick glance.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
As many of you have expressed the new screw on power cord is a PITA. Because it is fine thread it keeps wanting to cross thread. This replacement ring converts it back to a quick twist lock. The original ring just pulls off and you push the new ring on with a little twisting motion. It actually holds the cord tighter that the original.

assuming you are talking about the removable power cord on Gen 2, is ETI using the Marinco power inlet ?
locking ring link info
"The exclusive locking tabs engage slots built into all Marinco inlets. Use with 30 amp Marinco inlets"
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
As many of you have expressed the new screw on power cord is a PITA.

I am confused. Has ETI changed the removable power cord? Below is the picture of the one on their website which is the same one that I have on my 2013. I have no problem with it. What has changed?
Attached Thumbnails
removable_power_cord.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
As many of you have expressed the new screw on power cord is a PITA.

I am confused. Has ETI changed the removable power cord? Below is the picture of the one on their website which is the same one that I have on my 2013. I have no problem with it. What has changed?
Nothing......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you have the fine threaded ring, getting it threaded, especially initially is a bit of a challenge. Plus you have to tighten quite a few turns. With this ring it is more of a push and short turn to lock it on. If you look at the fitting on your trailer you will see that it will accommodate both. These rings will pry off and on the cord end with no problem. I will likely get one.

In this image of the Marinco 30A connector, you can see both the treads and the quick connect groove. The one on Escapes works the same way.

And here is a link for the ring on amazon.ca.
https://www.amazon.ca/Marinco-100EL-.../dp/B000NI1BFC
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

The Gen 2 units are coming with Conntek connector now and not a Marinco. The ring on the cord ETI is supplying is fine thread and not twist lock. Several people have complained about it earlier. The male side on the camper will accept either. The threaded ring is a pain to get started without cross threading because it is a fine thread. This replacement allows for replacement of just the ring on the cord and converts the cord to a quick connect. The locking tabs are not exclusive to Marinco as you can see in the pictures. The last picture is the new replacement ring attached. Hopefully this makes it clearer.
Attached Thumbnails
20170509_194034.jpg   20170509_194047.jpg   20170509_194027.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks for the photos. They do explain the difference. Sounds like the locking ring retrofit is the way to go with these. Just a push and a small turn to lock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
But, is there a problem with the Conntek brand now used vs the previous Marinco brand like Karen has? They both appear to be the same threads and hers is also threaded not the twist lock.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
But, is there a problem with the Conntek brand now used vs the previous Marinco brand like Karen has? They both appear to be the same threads and hers is also threaded not the twist lock.
It appears that the previous one, a Marinco, had the Marinco locking ring (at least I think I see that ring in Karen's photo) while the new one has the fine threads only and no tabs. So, you have to thread it all the way on, which can be a challenge with the fine plastic threads. Not sure about the ring though.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It appears that the previous one, a Marinco, had the Marinco locking ring (at least I think I see that ring in Karen's photo) while the new one has the fine threads only and no tabs. So, you have to thread it all the way on, which can be a challenge with the fine plastic threads. Not sure about the ring though.

Ok, that would make sense. Karen or another owner of the previous model should be able to clear that up - old model quick twist lock, or threads?

Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
I have spent at least 15 minutes over a couple tries to get my threads mated, but just could not get it. If I did have it right, I feared wrecking threads if I turned too hard. I have put together many 10's of thousands of threaded connections before, but just could not get this one. Fortunately the cord end twists to lock too, so it is somewhat secure. I was just going to offer Reace a challenge and see if he had a trick to get it.

Nonetheless, I did order the replacement ring, it is going to be so much less hassle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was just going to offer Reace a challenge and see if he had a trick to get it.
I like it - the Reace Power Cord Challenge is on. How fast does he have to do it correctly to win the beer you will be providing? I volunteer to hold the beers.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Exactly

Our old trailer looked like Karen's and was a Marinco with the quick lock twist.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Ok, that would make sense. Karen or another owner of the previous model should be able to clear that up - old model quick twist lock, or threads?
Okay, that first picture that I posted was directly from ETI's website and is their picture of the removable power cord. The picture below is my power cord from 2013. They look the same to me. The yellow part is a quick twist lock and the black ring is threaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Wraptor.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
I have spent at least 15 minutes over a couple tries to get my threads mated, but just could not get it. If I did have it right, I feared wrecking threads if I turned too hard. I have put together many 10's of thousands of threaded connections before, but just could not get this one. Fortunately the cord end twists to lock too, so it is somewhat secure. I was just going to offer Reace a challenge and see if he had a trick to get it.

Nonetheless, I did order the replacement ring, it is going to be so much less hassle.
We'll that makes me feel better. I have threaded things for 40 years but this one just gave me fits.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Okay, that first picture that I posted was directly from ETI's website and is their picture of the removable power cord. The picture below is my power cord from 2013. They look the same to me. The yellow part is a quick twist lock and the black ring is threaded.
Then that is essentially the same as the new one.... the electrical connection twists to lock and the threaded ring secures it.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
I think the black ring is a twist lock. That is a Marinco end on your cord.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:
I like it - the Reace Power Cord Challenge is on. How fast does he have to do it correctly to win the beer you will be providing? I volunteer to hold the beers.
Mighty generous of you, Eric.
Quote:
We'll that makes me feel better. I have threaded things for 40 years but this one just gave me fits.
Okay, on the count of three we will cuss that fitting in unison.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Mighty generous of you, Eric.

Okay, on the count of three we will cuss that fitting in unison.
Huum I smell a beer bet coming on as to how well I can do it on our new 21'.....