Fridge Defend (defends your fridge from premature failure while increasing efficiency - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Fridge Defend (defends your fridge from premature failure while increasing efficiency

This item has peaked my interest and I am looking for input from the forum.
https://www.arprv.com/index.php
Thanks, Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe another forum member under "Wetzk"
has already installed one of those and reports his success, try researching under his name.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Thanks, Ronn

We installed one last year. It works, I have checked and it operated while we were stuck in traffic on a steep hill in North Carolina and has operated 3 other times so far.
I figure if it prevents the boiler from overheating and extends the fridges lifespan it's good enough for me.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post204359

Another Escape owner also has one.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post182774
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

Thanks Ken/Karen and Jim, I did a search but didn't find anything. I will check both posts out. Ronn
Old 10-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
A total boiler meltdown sounds pretty scary and worth the $$s if it's really a risk. Has anyone reported this type of catastrophic failure on the forum?
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've read the Escape Forum and FGRV for the past ten years and I recall nothing about boiler failure. The web site reminds me of The National Enquirer graphically, and I have about the same confidence in the truth of their statements.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've read the Escape Forum and FGRV for the past ten years and I recall nothing about boiler failure. The web site reminds me of The National Enquirer graphically, and I have about the same confidence in the truth of their statements.
I have heard of boilers destroyed due to operation while not level (it happens, flat tire or a breakdown on a grade, parking on a grade) Probably fire isn't as common as the destroyed boilers.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I have heard of boilers destroyed due to operation while not level (it happens, flat tire or a breakdown on a grade, parking on a grade) Probably fire isn't as common as the destroyed boilers.

I believe that might have been an issue in the past, but that fridges today are comfortable, if you are comfortable. I think that that site is trying to sell you something based on anecdotes and fear.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks, Ronn
You asked. I don't believe it is a needed item at all. You can be on quite a slope with the newer RV fridges and they work just fine. If it is comfortable enough to sleep in the trailer, the fridge will be fine.

Dometic's operating tolerances are to be within 3° side to side and 6° front to back (of the fridge, not the trailer). Steeper than that they will still work but risk damage if left for a prolonged period. On a 21' trailer that is 7' 4" wide you can be out of level front to back 7 1/2" and side to side 5 1/4".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Thanks, Ronn
Ronn, I installed the ARP Fridge Defend on my Dometic DM-2663 refrigerator. Turns off Gas or Electric to refrigerator if refer boiler over heats. ARP control module will turn fan on at user defined or pre-set temperature. Installing the fan attached to lower grill is what is recommended by manufacture.

For other members not interested in installing this device the Fridge Defend Website is very informative.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge Defend 20181020_155156.jpg   Fridge Defend 20181020_155317.jpg   Fridge Defend_20181020_155150.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You asked. I don't believe it is a needed item at all. You can be on quick a slope with the newer RV fridges and they work just fine. If it is comfortable enough to sleep in the trailer, the fridge will be fine.

Dometic's operating tolerances are to be within 3° side to side and 6° front to back (of the fridge, not the trailer). Steeper than that they will still work but risk damage if left for a prolonged period. On a 21' trailer that is 7' 4" wide you can be out of level front to back 7 1/2" and side to side 5 1/4".

Get stuck in traffic on a steep hill. That happened to me in North Carolina and the device shut the fridge off when the boiler temperature went to high.
I've checked it and suspect the other 3 times were climbing out of Glacier National Park, one of the steepest rest stops I've ever seen and not sure what set it off one time.

I'm not worried as much about fires but you can seriously shorten the lifespan of an Absorption fridge by having it off level.
I'm happy with the device and will install one or something like it in the next trailer if I buy one.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote