Fridge size - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Fridge size

Hi all, new member here....due to pick up our 19' on June 22 and finalizing options. Standard fridge size is 4.2 cf, with an option to go to 6.7. Problem is with bigger size, then microwave has to be moved underneath stove, losing drawers. Any thoughts on whether most are happy with 4.2?? Or other words of wisdom?? Thanks for any advice on this.....super excited, can't wait to make the trek to BC!....Karen
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Hi all, new member here....due to pick up our 19' on June 22 and finalizing options. Standard fridge size is 4.2 cf, with an option to go to 6.7. Problem is with bigger size, then microwave has to be moved underneath stove, losing drawers. Any thoughts on whether most are happy with 4.2?? Or other words of wisdom?? Thanks for any advice on this.....super excited, can't wait to make the trek to BC!....Karen
The 4.3 cf refers do not cool adequately when ambient temps are above 85 degrees F.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ling-2692.html
See post 8. The problem is still not resolved for most of us.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We haven't experienced any cooling problems yet (still pretty new with the 19), but the 4.3 cf is the right size for our needs. We also decided against a microwave, so use the cabinet above for food storage. Much depends on how you will travel and what your own needs are.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Welcome Karen. There are plenty of threads on this forum about the ongoing fridge saga. I'll try to give you a very simplified version.

Some owners have experienced issues with inadequate cooling on the Dometic 8 series fridges, both the 4.3 and the 6.7 cubic foot models. Its more of a problem when there are high ambient temperatures. These fridges are rated to cool in sub-normal temperature ranges, which doesn't work for many owners who live or camp in hotter climates. In some cases, the cooling has been inadequate in cooler climates as well.

ETI has been working on several remedies for a long time now. They now use a different installation method than they used to, which creates more of a channel on the back of the fridge to direct the airflow. This has improved performance for some, but not for others.

They have also worked with Dometic directly on redesign, retrofit and replacement solutions. One of the solutions was to go with a 2 door fridge (RMD8555) for the larger 6.7cf unit. Another was to work with Dometic on getting a redesigned door for retrofitting the 4.3cf unit. As of this writing, I am not aware that Dometic has delivered the retrofit/redesigned doors.

The 2 door 6.7 cf was tested in hotter weather by an owner here in Texas and was reported to work better than the previous single door 6.7. Anyone who ordered a new Escape with the larger fridge after around June of last year will get the 2 door instead of the single door.

The answer as to why ETI didn't just go with a different manufacturer for the fridge is that the Escape door is about 22 inches wide, and there are very few 3-way rv refrigerators of adequate capacity that are narrow enough to fit through that size door.

We went with the 6.7 cf RMD8555 2 door model, in hopes that it will perform substantially better than the previous model. Time will tell if that works out.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have the larger refer and dropped the microwave in exchange for the oven. If eliminated, the microwave 120v outlet is still installed in that space if your ever wanted to retro fit something. Your choice.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Karen we have the 4.3 in our 2013 19 . Frig is plenty big for 2 as we also carry a ice chest . We haven't removed freezer compartment which is really easy to do if wanted more room . We did remove bottom crisper which was a pain and added a shelf instead and a tray Tractor1 made for us .we want microwave and feel the larger frig takes up a lot of room . Still as been said could remove microwave and you have another storage option with a electrical plug . Hope this helps .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Karen, we ordered our 19" with a 4.3 and our only regret after the sale was the small refer size. We even had Reace quote a 6.7 at $1400 so we passed. Later I put a larger 7.2 in myself. By doing this I no longer carry my massive ice chest for drinks and can bring more fresh food. It is also good to have decent freezer space for meat and chicken to grill...and, IMO,the 4.3 has a ridiculously tiny freezer. We hardly used the microwave so removing it permanently when the larger refer went in was no problem.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Karen we have the 4.3 in our 2013 19 . Frig is plenty big for 2 as we also carry a ice chest . We haven't removed freezer compartment which is really easy to do if wanted more room . We did remove bottom crisper which was a pain and added a shelf instead and a tray Tractor1 made for us .we want microwave and feel the larger frig takes up a lot of room . Still as been said could remove microwave and you have another storage option with a electrical plug . Hope this helps .
Forgot we have a extreme cooler (especially if hot weather)which is a huge freezer if needed. It is a 35 qt In all the years of camping always bring a cooler just in case . Never would trust frig . You also may need your propane for heater . Propane works better then 12 volt if you don't have electrical .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Later I put a larger 7.2 in myself.
Karen, just an FYI. That sentence is a gross oversimplification on Steve's part. That little sentence is 'expanded' on here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-4741.html
Old 02-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Robert, In a previous post I composed, "good to have decent freezer space for meat and chicken to barbecue..." and then remembered the
barbecue vs grill thread and made the correction before it was pounced on it!...

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Site Team

Steve, I just thought one sentence to describe your multi-month odyssey with the NovaKool was being way too modest. You are a cutting-edge trailblazer Sir. Stand tall!...
Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Thanks everybody for the responses. Sounds like an ongoing nightmare. Still undecided what to do; will try to talk with Reace this week and see if there's any updated solutions to this or make sure we get the 2 door if we do go with 6.7.....Karen
Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the responses. Sounds like an ongoing nightmare. Still undecided what to do; will try to talk with Reace this week and see if there's any updated solutions to this or make sure we get the 2 door if we do go with 6.7.....Karen
If you choose the 6.7CF it will be the two door RMD8555 Karen. I'd go with that.
Attached Thumbnails
rmd8555.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #14

Thanks for the pic Robert, and yes, Steve did amazing things with his NovaKool, and he was being WAY too modest, great thread.
I'm a little mystified as to why ETI hasn't gone with another company, like Nova Kool, for their refrig. Having a reputation for giving the customer what they want, if it's possible, wonder why haven't they allowed people to special order other brands? Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just a guess, but, I expect the other manufacturers have their own history of complaints. Also, the price would go up ( think Costco ) if ETI were to buy small lots of fridges from different makers.
And, I believe, there is the issue of the size of the door that the fridge has to go through.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Did anyone ever ask what the charge would be to get ETI to replace an existing single door 6.7 with the new double door version?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Did anyone ever ask what the charge would be to get ETI to replace an existing single door 6.7 with the new double door version?
Some have reported that ETI would charge around $1400 for the 2 door. I assume there would also be an installation charge.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the pic Robert, and yes, Steve did amazing things with his NovaKool, and he was being WAY too modest, great thread.
I'm a little mystified as to why ETI hasn't gone with another company, like Nova Kool, for their refrig. Having a reputation for giving the customer what they want, if it's possible, wonder why haven't they allowed people to special order other brands? Anybody have thoughts on this?
There is more to it than just the brand, or even just the cost. Like many manufacturers, I assume that ETI finds it easier to go with one product line for a certain appliance.

Also, what about folks who want to dry camp and don't have solar? The RV industry fridges have been absorption/propane fridges for a long time because that allows people to have refrigeration without an electrical power source.

NovaKool is a COMPRESSOR based fridge (like the one in your kitchen) that doesn't use propane. It would only be suitable for folks who are always hooked up or who have solar, and ALOT of solar at that.

Trust me, this issue has been analyzed and re-analyzed on this forum as well as many others. Maybe the day will come when every trailer has enough electrical energy generating capability to make compressor fridges common, but for now that is not the case. Steve's efforts prove it is possible, but not without a substantial investment in the fridge and the solar, as well as the know-how to install it.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #19

Robert, thanks for your many replies on this. Seems like a lot of this is, as you say, the nature of the beast, rather than specific fridge manufacturers. I did just speak with Reace and we will most likely go with the same as you, the 6.7. He is certainly aware of the problems some have had & assured me he is continually working on installation methods, etc., and is hopeful.....your completion date is near, you must be excited!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
your completion date is near, you must be excited!
More than you know Karen! The trailer has been completed for a couple weeks now, but we don't pick up until March 20th.

Escape Trailer Owners Community - rbryan4's Album: Past Tents - Build Photos

Quote:
I did just speak with Reace and we will most likely go with the same as you, the 6.7. He is certainly aware of the problems some have had & assured me he is continually working on installation methods, etc., and is hopeful..
Isn't Reace great? What a confident feeling knowing you're working with such a great company.