Frolic sleep system - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
I find all of this very intriguing but when I start thinking more about it the task of removing the mattress seems too daunting. Any tips or suggestions how to make the mattress removal easier. I also worry about damaging the clear clips that hold the window shade strings in place. Maybe I’m over thinking all of this. Anyone with any of these systems in place going to be at the Niagara or Mississippi rallies?
Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Heard the expression " like stuffing a marshmellow in a piggy bank" ?

There isn't an easy way, it's like wrestling a gorilla. It's not easy but it is possible to get it out, we did so a couple of times. Didn't do any damage to anything.

Glad my new 21 will be easier to get the mattress out as I'll be gutting the area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Depends on your mattress choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
...the task of removing the mattress seems too daunting. Any tips or suggestions how to make the mattress removal easier?
Given the cabinets and the mattress being street-curb oriented, there is no easy way. The ETI OEM spring mattress is a real pain to remove.

First we roll up our ViSpring topper, which is relatively easy. We've ordered a new 5" all-wool mattress that folds much easier. This wool mattress, queen size, weighs 55 lbs., which is less than our Lifeline AGM battery.

We are planning to place a 1 in. nylon webbing the length of the mattress in the center long ways (96 to 144" long). When we need to remove the mattress, we reach beneath, pull up the ends, pull to the center, and clip the webbing. That should help a lot.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Froli Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Yes, and we really like it.

We installed the Froli Travel system, which is supposed to fit a queen (60x80"). Assembly offers three base element spacings, and we used the smallest spacing throughout for a more firm feel. With that, we needed 12 additional base elements. With the Escape corners, we also needed 2 small elements. We added the tension clips on all the elements except for the two rows at our feet.

The Froli-provided ventilation is essential for any good mattress. The Froli also allows you to highly customize the bed's feel.

Froli travel raises the mattress about 2 inches, and provides excellent ventilation under the mattress.

We are planning to change the Escape OEM mattress with an all wool 5" thick or a natural-latex-core, wool wrapped 6.5" thick mattress.

73/gus
We are thinking about installing this system and also like a firm bed. Did you need to purchase additional elements, the 12 base and 2 small, in addition to the queen. It sounds like you don’t recommend the full bed option.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #25

Firmness layout determines numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post
We are thinking about installing this system and also like a firm bed. Did you need to purchase additional elements, the 12 base and 2 small, in addition to the queen. It sounds like you don’t recommend the full bed option.
Base element spacing for firmness determines the numbers.

The Froli Travel “full bed option” is 88 spring elements, vs 99 for queen. Not sure the full bed numbers would fill the E19 bed area unless you spaced the base elements for the softest feel (maximum spacing).

We started with the queen kit. As shown, we minimized base element spacing to increase firmness. We have 12 rows of 9 base elements == 108 total. Queen comes with 99 base elements, so we needed 9 more, 7 regular and two small. We ordered 12 regular to have spares.

Our layout used the two “small” base elements in the rear corners, as shown.

To further increase firmness, we added the retention clips on most all of the base elements. This required ordering several “bags” of the retention clips.

Froli firmness layout depends on your mattress too. We started with the ETI OEM mattress. We shifted to a 5” thick all wool mattress mentioned in the previous post. For example, you may not need the softer blue Froli base elements placed at our shoulder location if you choose a really firm mattress.

We’ve settled on a luxury queen (60 x 79.5”) pocketed spring mattress that is 10-3/4” thick and built with specific coils for “medium” firmness. This Elite mattress feel turns out to be mostly independent of the Froli tuning. Yet the Froli firmness is just right to support our 105 lb mattress with good underside airspace

We remain glad we selected the Froli, and it is holding up well after 3 years of extensive use.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
B59515B9-AA4D-4953-92AA-5E496CDE676F.jpeg   AC38D767-1DBC-46CD-9E4C-6B4317F06D6D.jpeg   836F6020-C5E0-4138-9F36-6B622DC15E47a.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #26
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
We installed the "STAR" Froli system in our E19. Looks like Gus has the "TRAVELER" Froli system. I cannot compare how these are different beyond that is on the Froli website. That being said, we just installed the Froli system after trying to use a Costco mattress topper for a couple of years that degraded over time. Took a nap on the new Froli system and it was great. The Froli system gives comfort and moister control. Couple of thoughts:
- I ordered (based on Elke's advice at Froli) a full-size mattress kit and a 12-piece expansion pack. It was less expensive than the queen size kit and filled the ETI mattress area with 2 STARs left over.
- I used the middle attachment for the STARSs; medium firmness.
- The Froli design allows for post installation adjustment of firmness by swapping out firm springs for soft springs. I did swap out a few springs on my wife's side after installation.
- The customer service by Elke is outstanding. She sent me layout instructions prior to purchase so I knew the number of springs needed, gave me a discount code, and sent me a few additional soft springs after the sale. This level of customer service is surprising in today's commerce.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Thank you gklot and MVA, it sounds like firmness makes the difference. I might start with the full and expansion pack. When you order can you specify firmness, or is it a matter of spacing only?
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #28
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Karen - which trailer do you have? Your profile indicates waiting on a E23.

There are three ways to change the firmness with the Froli system:
(1) Spacing between the base units. I placed them in the middle of three spacing to get a medium firmness.
(2) Springs. The springs attach to the base units. The springs are either regular or soft.
(3) Tension clips. There are tension clips that can be placed on the springs to tighten the springs (soft or regular) to make them firmer.

A bit more detail. For the base grid on our E19, I used soft springs at the shoulder location (per the Froli installation recommendations) and at the hip location on my wife's side. Along the long side on the bed (head to foot on bed), the spacing of the base units between the perimeter units and the interior units was set at the firm location. This was due the to the need to narrow the overall Froli grid and to firm-up the edge of the mattress. Clear as mud?

edit - the kits come with a set of firm and soft springs depending on the kit. I recommend calling Elke if you have specific needs.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #29

Great customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
There are three ways to change the firmness with the Froli system:
(1) Spacing between the base units. I placed them in the middle of three spacing to get a medium firmness.
(2) Springs. The springs attach to the base units. The springs are either regular or soft.
(3) Tension clips. There are tension clips that can be placed on the springs to tighten the springs (soft or regular) to make them firmer.
I recommend calling Elke if you have specific needs.
Agree. "Travel" is 1-3/8" high, and "Star" is 1-3/4" high. Both provide the much needed ventilation. Customer service explained that the shorter Travel can be more firm, while the taller Star starts off more soft (comfort) than Travel.

We were looking for a firm foundation for a heavier pocketed spring mattress, so we went with travel. If you have a memory foam mattress, you might choose differently.

Just like MVA tuned it, we tuned ours for our needs - something the Ikea and other wooden slats to not offer. I noticed one tuning difference - MVA went with middle spacing, and we with with tightest spacing.

You have the option to buy the expansion kits and tension clips later.

Good luck with it.

73/gus