Front storage box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
A third consideration - but only on a 19 - would be that you don’t really want to store your propane and your batteries in the same enclosed container.
Yah, what do you call a battery and propane tanks in a metal box? A bomb.

And under the wrong conditions they could be. None the less, on my Scamp 13 I made an aluminum tongue box that contained two batteries and a propane tank. The key to not having a potential problem is good ventilation and I had a large bottom drain.

Had an aluminum tongue box on my 13 and on my 19 and expect one of the first mods I'll be doing next month will be making an aluminum tongue box for the 21.

P.S. Also in the Scamp photo is my home made power dolly. Worked really well for the little Scamp, not so well, well, not at all, for the tandem axle 19.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
04-04-2012 8-30-31 PM  006_resize.JPG   04-04-2012 8-30-31 PM  005_resize.JPG   26-03-2013 4-53-28 PM  02.jpg   29-04-2014 10-00-34 AM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, what do you call a battery and propane tanks in a metal box? A bomb.

And under the wrong conditions they could be. None the less, on my Scamp 13 I made an aluminum tongue box that contained two batteries and a propane tank. The key to not having a potential problem is good ventilation and I had a large bottom drain.
The box can also be partitioned, so that while it is one box externally, it is effectively two enclosures.

It is routine for fifth-wheel trailers to have both propane tanks and batteries in the front of the body; while this could be a problem, it's not because they are appropriately compartmentalized. The propane compartment of has no floor at all; the battery compartment is typically not open to any other space, and has a vented door.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #23

I plan to remove the vinyl protectors and use white bed liner paint in that area. I don't like the vinyl protectors either. I still haven't decided which box I want to use, but having that additional storage is great.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #24

Trailer: TBD
I may have posted this before so forgive me. For those interested in a custom box, Highway Products in Medford, OR makes custom aluminum truck boxes and most likely could make one for the Escape.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Of all the options on an Escape, I consider the front storage box to be the #1 must get option. Added benefit is getting the battery out of the trailer and into the box. Price is reasonable IMHO for a custom made, fiberglass box that fits the trailer perfectly.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Removed from build list at first but then put it back . So glad we did and the most valuable option for trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Front Box

One of the few options that I could say we use every time we go out. Holds a lot of accessories, keeps them clean and dry, easily accessible, reasonably secure
( lockable) and protects the trailer. Yes, I sold stuff for a while. Sold a lot of fertilizer after giving it away for years.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #28

Speaking of front boxes, in one the threads the question was asked if they're still giving free boxes to returning customers. I'm happy to report the answer is a big yes.

I hadn't ordered a box because I've made my own previously but yesterday there were a couple of comments about free boxes to returning customers.

We were due to pick up today so I fired off an email asking if that policy was still in effect. Since we'd previously gotten the $1,000 discount I wasn't holding my breath. But lo and behold in comes an email this morning saying that the policy was still in effect and did I want the box mounted?

So, didn't get it mounted because I want to put more paint on the frame etc. but I now have a box. I'm not a great fan of a couple of aspects of the design but, hey, for free, I'm sure that I can grow to like it.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That's the spirit Ron. join the free box club for returning customers, I'm a lifetime member......
Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #30

Actually it was your post that inspired me to send off a night before pickup email.

When I saw your "3" comment, I thought, what the heck, I may as well ask.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
What's under your box ?

This isn't a criticism of Escape Trailer Industries, just factual information for owners. Please don't BBQ the messenger.

We picked up our trailer July 18th. Not two months ago. I noticed some rust stains from under the box after we got home. I just removed the box and propane support. I cleaned up the frame with a grinder. Treated the bare metal and coated it with a rubberized rocker guard to protect and hopefully seal the space.
It does make me wonder what's happening between the trailer itself and the frame ? Not so easily treated....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3915.jpg   IMG_3916.jpg   IMG_3924.jpg   IMG_3927.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #32

I can say one thing, parking your camper on grass or dirt is not as preferred as concrete or asphalt to keep moisture from the ground away from your trailer.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #33

Where's my BBQ

Actually you're quite right, the frame paint is a real negative. It's thin and in no time at all there will be rust appearing. Ongoing maintenance is required.

Since I got my tongue box loose and not installed one of the first items on my to-do list is paint as much of the frame now before any rust appears. Getting a second coat will be areas like the forward facing areas of the axles and frame members.

After painting the frame, where the tongue box goes, I'll also put down a strip of EPDM membrane to further protect the paint.

I was in Russia last week and saw about a 20 year or more old travel trailer. It had a galvanized frame, no rust, I was envious.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't know, man, call me an optimist but I am thinking by the time any framing gets thin enough from rust and rusts out I will be long-long-long since gone to that great trailer park in the sky. That said, I will now go out with a spray can of black and do beautification.
Attached Thumbnails
Steptred.jpg  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I think rust is a only a real problem where you have road salt. Although this trailer has never seen salt, only some grass on my lawn beside the driveway. I don't think I can avoid camping on grass in the future.

A friend has a 12 year old pickup truck. On his last oil change he was told the truck is scrap, frame is rusted through behind the cab, both sides. I'd like to think this new trailer will last more than 12 years.

Its an easy fix.

I think the real problem began when the holes were drilled with the box in place. All the steel swarf was left between the box and the frame. They were the seeds that started it. I have a thick coat of rubber rocker guard on the frame now. Once it hardens up I'll put another coat on before setting the box back in place. My hope is that it will prevent any moisture from being trapped between the box and frame.

B
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #36

Most fiberglass campers can last 30 years or more, same with Airstreams, but the frames have been replaced and new floors in Airstreams.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #37

Trailer: 17B
Here are pictures of the storage box I built. It was challenging but fun project. I did not design it, however. A friend built the first one and graciously allowed me to make sketches. He makes high end guitars and if very talented--I would not have had the courage to design it myself.

The box is a generous size and encloses the propane cylinders, which were moved back toward the coach body.

The floor and back are 1/2" ply. I molded and attached a 'sill' to the underside of the floor. The skin was is 1/8" ply which was carefully bent around the sill and a set of temporary molds which were removed after the glue up. The lid is 1/2" ply. The box is painted with a one-part polyurethane marine paint.

It is a challenging project but doable. I don't know how much it weighs but it was quite easy to lift and move around in the shop and at the install. It makes no discernible difference in towing. It offers a little more gravel protection for the coach body.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2107.jpg   IMG_2108.jpg   IMG_2109.jpg  
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #38

Nice job, a lot deeper than the optional but not as wide....
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
Here are pictures of the storage box I built. It was challenging but fun project. I did not design it, however. A friend built the first one and graciously allowed me to make sketches. He makes high end guitars and if very talented--I would not have had the courage to design it myself.

The box is a generous size and encloses the propane cylinders, which were moved back toward the coach body.

The floor and back are 1/2" ply. I molded and attached a 'sill' to the underside of the floor. The skin was is 1/8" ply which was carefully bent around the sill and a set of temporary molds which were removed after the glue up. The lid is 1/2" ply. The box is painted with a one-part polyurethane marine paint.

It is a challenging project but doable. I don't know how much it weighs but it was quite easy to lift and move around in the shop and at the install. It makes no discernible difference in towing. It offers a little more gravel protection for the coach body.
Nice looking storage box ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #40

Nice job. Less width means less chance of an errant bumper making contact in tight turns. Don't ask how I know this.

I like that you followed the body contour. I've never liked the factory "box falling forward" look.

Ron