Front Storage Box Alternative - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 foot casita
Front Storage Box Alternative

I bought a 21 foot in July and opted out of the storage box Escape has because I liked the idea of the aluminum storage box better... One problem, I don't know what size will work! Has anyone installed one and what did u go with?

bonitaraders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitaraders View Post
I bought a 21 foot in July and opted out of the storage box Escape has because I liked the idea of the aluminum storage box better... One problem, I don't know what size will work! Has anyone installed one and what did u go with?
Northern Tool has some top-opening of various lengths that appear able to fit the space (relatively narrow, tall, long), but I've not opted for one yet. With our optional rear driver-side hatch, we've not needed the extra storage, and so I haven't seen any need to add the extra weight of the box and any contents to the tongue. So far, anyway....

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #3

Thanks.. I'm just not sure how wide it should be.. I've been looking at 60x20x19.. I want to store rugs, chairs and my tools..
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
On my 2015 19' I installed a Kobalt 73014037 aluminum tool box:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-70-i...ol-Box/1097365

Got it on sale at the local Lowes for $139 (regularly $179) and it's currently $222 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Full-S.../dp/B004Q0DG8S

I really didn't care for the Escape fiberglass box - $700 and 70 lbs vs. $139 and 35 lbs - and they always looked to me like they had come unbolted and were leaning forward precariously and were about to tip over (sorry Reace!). And I had neither the time nor inclination to build my own box, although it would have been a fun / interesting project.

My trailer is currently in storage so I can't verify the dimensions, but the Lowes link says 70" L, 13" W, and 14" H. The problem I ran into was that I was looking for a nice deep box, but on all the standard boxes I could find, as the height increased the front-to-rear dimension also increased, and the Better Built 73014037 was a really tight fit between the rear of the propane tank cover and the front of the trailer shell - nothing bigger would have fit front-to-rear. There's barely enough clearance when the box lid hinges into the open position - it clears the front of the trailer shell by about 1/8".

On my 19' I had to worry about cramming the 2 6 volt batteries in the box, which was an extremely tight fit both vertically and horizontally front-to-rear - the tops of the cut-down plastic battery boxes touch the box lid when it's closed, and I actually had to drill out and remove the 4 pop rivets holding the KOBALT plaque on the front of the box to get the extra 3/16" of horizontal front-to-rear clearance that I needed. I also had to worry about supporting 120 lbs worth of batteries - happily for you, in your 21' you won't have to contend with any battery issues.

I spanned across the tongue frame rails with 2 pieces of 3/16" x 1.5" aluminum angle the full side-to-side width of the box, ran a 3rd shorter piece spanning directly below the batteries, cut down and mounted the original plastic battery boxes using aluminum straps underneath the box to distribute the load, and ran 90* garage door bottom edge rubber seals to cradle the front and rear edges of the box in the 2 long pieces of aluminum angle. The original wiring exits through a couple of drilled out all-weather plastic electrical boxes mounted to the back surface of the box, and the whole mess is held onto the tongue using 8 1/4" bolts going through the angle steel welded to the frame rails that were used to anchor the original battery-box-mount cross-pieces.

Next I added a couple of hydrogen vents on the top, and a couple of drain holes (complete with little 1.5" downspout tubes) in case everything started filling with water, and then decided to add a nice big mud / rock guard to protect the front and underside of the trailer (looking forward to an Alaska trip next summer). And of course had to add 4 LED lights in the underside of the lid (switched on/off with the LED step light). Finally added a couple of 1/4" aluminum brackets to hold the steel conduit antenna mast for the TV and cell hot spot antennas. By now the wife was calling it the FrankenBox.

The front corners would hit the tow vehicle first if things get all jack-knifed backing up, so I might someday trim the front corners off at 45* angles for more clearance, but going forward with full steering lock everything clears ok.

The 2 little tool shelves at the outside tops of the box are real handy for small bits and pieces so they don't get buried in the bottom of the box under everything else, and even with the 2 batteries stuffed in there, I still have plenty of room for all the usual campsite setup stuff that I really don't want inside the trailer or tow vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1341.jpg (170.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1350.jpg (215.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1362.jpg (223.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1406.jpg (242.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1409.jpg (155.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2049.jpg (183.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2133.jpg (193.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2378.jpg (133.7 KB, 51 views)

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail, KDSS, BFG A/T KO's, ScanGauge, B&M Tranny Cooler, 20" Opt7 LED Light Bar, LED DRL's, Prodigy P2 Controller, Timbren Rear Springs
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Nice work.....
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Nice!! The length is a concern of mine.. So u think if you trim about a foot off u won't have problems with deep turns? What did u hook the led lights to? It really looks nice. Like u I didn't like their fiberglass box .. One of the only things I did not like:!)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Seems like a good alternative to the Escape box. Looks like the Lowes box was made to reside in a pickup truck box with stepouts on the sides that would sit on top of the sides of the pickup truck bed. Too bad about that as the stepouts really take away from the attractiveness of the installation on the Escape. But it looks to be quite functional so good job!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Dave: Nice work on that front box. Really like it. That is what I was going to do, but did a Stowaway box on the rear and have a mini-split A/C condenser on the tongue where the box would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Looks like the Lowes box was made to reside in a pickup truck box with stepouts on the sides that would sit on top of the sides of the pickup truck bed.
Will certainly cost more, but there are shops that do many different types of boxes. This company makes boxes that go in the bed and between the bed rails...what they refer to as their Top Chest Toolbox (Fifth Wheel). Or the proper sized A-Frame Trailer Toolbox could work and has angled sides that will look better and reduce the issue of hitting in a tight turn. They will even make custom sizes.

Truck Tool Boxes | Pickup Bed, Trailer, Semi Truck, Diamond Plate, Aluminum
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Looks great. Too bad it isn't taller. My experience with my home-made tongue box (wood frame) is: you best take great care when backing up not to jack-knife your tow vehicle's bumper into the corners of the box.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
[QUOTE=Great Eggstrications;

I really didn't care for the Escape fiberglass box - $700 and 70 lbs vs. $139 and 35 lbs - and they always looked to me like they had come unbolted and were leaning forward precariously and were about to tip over (sorry Reace!). And I had neither the time nor inclination to build my own box, although it would have been a fun / interesting project.

[/QUOTE]

I had pretty much the same view and because I had some scrap aluminum I made my own. I made it follow the front slope of the trailer wall and that increased the interior volume as well as got away from the forward leaning look.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-04-2014 5-19-26 PM11_resize.jpg (125.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P4280082_resize.JPG (284.8 KB, 45 views)

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote