Front tongue box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #1

Front tongue box

A new factory option is the front tongue box. Made out of fiberglass, it comes with a hinged lid and two latches, for the lid that can be locked. You provide the locks. The box covers the entire front of the trailer it is coated with white Rhino liner, to protect against rock chips. The trailer battery fits into the box. The box has lots of room to stow such things as water hose, wheel chocks, power cord, jack, and more. The propane tanks are mounted in front of the box. Your equalizer hitch can be used with this box.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Re: Front tongue box

We where at the Escape factory on November 12 and ordered our unit. The tongue box looks good and will probably be one of those "options" that most people will consider.

As it is coated with the liner for rock chips, it may not be necessary to coat the trailer thereby saving enough costs to pay for itself. For example: the tongue box costs $700 but protects the front of the trailer from rock chips; the LineEx costs $500 by itself to have it applied to the front of the trailer; therefore the real cost of the tongue box is $200 which is cheap for the convienience factor.

And it looks good too!
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I wonder what the cost would be to retrofit a 19' trailer that has a two inline bottles and an inside battery. I know who to ask, I am just afraid!

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

Then ask him - some of the options available are cheap to fit.

When we where down in Chilliwack, Reace offered to modify the 15b demo to suit our needs including the box. He couldn't add the insulation to a pre-existing unit however (but he could do the dbl paned windows). I also wasn't financially prepared to take delivery that soon.

Talk to him but I believe that its the cost of the box plus about about an hour labour (labor) as the propane brackets need to be moved.

I would imagine that shipping would be the bigger issue if you don't live in the area. Otherwise plan a holiday to beautiful British Columbia where you can hug a palm tree in Vancouver and be skiing (snow skiing that is) two hours later.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

I hope to make it out to BC sometime soon!

I didn't realize the propane tanks still mount outside. I probably won't have a need for it then. I'd prefer something that would accomodate at least one tank and the battery. It really cleans up the trailer's appearance, and prevents the tank from rusting, or at least from looking rusty! I have seen some nice big fiberglass boxes on new stick-built trailers, of all places, and BigFoots (BigFeet?).

But maybe access to the frame rails for WD hitches is an issue that's affecting the Escape box design?

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Propane tanks are outside the storage box and have their own cover. Battery(s) goes inside the storage box.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I don't think one would want to lift a 20 lb. propane tank ( 40 lbs. ) up and into the box. Also, propane is heavier than air so you would have to punch holes in the box to allow any leaking gas to escape.

baglo
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Hippo: maybe you are better looking than me 'cuz Reace quoted me $700 on November 12 and that's what shows up on my invoice. My due date isn't until the last half of next year so maybe I'll get the "new improved" version.

Regardless, the storage box is still an attractive, useful option that is worth the price.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

Once the box is perfected, should the body mold be modified to include the box as part of the molded trailer body. More sturdy and the already sleek profile would be further improved.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

If you want to have the tongue box installed and your trailer has the propane tanks mounted front-to-back, there is an additional charge of $125.00 to alter things. The propane bracket needs to be cut off and re-located on the frame, propane line lengthened and leak tested. A new side-wind jack is installed along with the new style hard plastic propane tank cover. Pictures are coming....still tweaking things a bit.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #11

Thanks Reace, that seems very reasonable for the work involved!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Hey Hippo, how about some pictures of the box? Both exterior and interior shots would be appreciated by all of us to see the latest innovation by Reace.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #13

I am enjoying my trailer and the tongue box very much. Pictures will be forth coming.