Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Could I suggest to the OP that a more effective way to get answers is to post smaller amounts of questions. Break up the request into different types of equipment etc. It's a rare forum member that will systematically answer every single question in such a large batch.

Ron
Well, I dunno about that! Others have asked multiple questions in one initial post (I know I did when I first joined!) and between various replies, I think most of the questions get answered. I'd much rather see everything in one post, unless it's super specific, such as "ack, my hot water tank isn't heating up and now what do I do?" sort of question.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Well, I dunno about that! Others have asked multiple questions in one initial post (I know I did when I first joined!) and between various replies, I think most of the questions get answered. I'd much rather see everything in one post, unless it's super specific, such as "ack, my hot water tank isn't heating up and now what do I do?" sort of question.
OK, to each their own. I'm a fairly helpful person and if I see a few questions I'll try and answer those I'm familiar with. But when I see a long, long list of questions I'm less likely to wade into them. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
I will share my perspective as an Occupational Therapist working in home health. Your "home" on wheels presents the same mobility challenges as any home. My first question is can you negotiate the "stairs" to get into the unit? The extra handles will help on entering but the most dangerous and difficult action will be going down the stairs as the handles which were positioned correctly for you when you enter, are now behind you as you leave. If you are concerned about your abilities here, I suggest you have your spouse "guard" you from the outside as you descend the steps, placing his hands on your hips to help you keep your balance. He should NOT hold your arm to assist your balance as any correction he makes will just cause you to twist as you fall, increasing the chances of injury. The next concern is can you get on and off the toilet ok? If not, two suction cup bars on each side of the toilet may help. Thirdly, can you get on and off the bed ok? Not sure you will have enough room to use the walker in the 19. You will have to get by with the cane and by holding onto furniture as you move about the trailer. The optimal intervention here might be to employ an OT or a PT to conduct a safety assessment of you and your trailer. Hope this helps.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model)
Lots of things to ponder

Thanks everyone one for the myriad of replies and thoughts. Let me fully read each post and reply after I give each much more thought, or try to understand some of the points .

A response to the question about the word "frugal". I guess what I'm trying to say is we don't want anything fancy or unnecessary. Because of where we live (cold/damp) as well as being in South Florida ( Extreme heat) for several months, insulation as well as AC would be necessities. Especially for my health condition.

As I mentioned, we won't watch much TV if at all. Also, I don't need a third burner on the stove or a larger refrigerator, etc. So I hope that helps when people respond about our build sheet, and what would be generally considered to be necessities versus "would love to have." Ditto for the pedestal table. The maneuverability of the table helps someone with limited mobility. So I hope that sheds some more light on being frugal, or us trying to keep costs of extras at a minimum

I appreciate the insight from the occupational therapist. Thank you! Yes, although gravity assists while descending the steps, it can also pose a dangerous issue if I fall. What would be helpful is to have a little banister or railing of some sort to hold onto. Got to figure that one out!
The Point about "too much information" or too many questions is well taken. If necessary, I shall repost my questions in smaller chunks.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks a lot to those who have replied so far... Lots of information to digest.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
One suggestion from my side: maybe you will be interested in having the benches raised. They are quite low to sit on, and there is the option to get them raised during build.
I know it wasn't one of your questions but I thought to bring this up. It would be nice you get a chance to try the standard ones out, and see for yourself if possible.
Good luck with everything!! At the end you will get a trailer you will love!!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Yes, although gravity assists while descending the steps, it can also pose a dangerous issue if I fall. What would be helpful is to have a little banister or railing of some sort to hold onto.
I'm sure you could have ETI install something similar to this:

Robot Check
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I think you seem to have a very well-thought out build sheet from ur comments. The only thing, and I might have missed a comment about it, is why the cot?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I gave up reading the response in the red type because my eyes were starting to bleed. Suggest black type and maybe use italic or bold face the first word in the answer.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm sure you could have ETI install something similar to this:

Robot Check
We wanted that same folding handle when we were doing our build and told no by Escape . Maybe they might now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We wanted that same folding handle when we were doing our build and told no by Escape .
Curious. It seems like an obvious alternative to a standard grab handle.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote