Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Curious. It seems like an obvious alternative to a standard grab handle.
Don't know Karen but they said no . I had that handle on both previous and loved it . There was also another one you see on RV 's they were going to , I had brought to them , but when we went to pick up they said they forgot to install . What we got was another black handle inside the door . That was better then nothing . You need good backing to install and maybe not enough there for larger handles . I really don't know the reasoning . Maybe that should be a important change now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm sure you could have ETI install something similar to this:

Stromberg Carlson (AM-200) Lend-A-Hand White Assist Handle with Foam Grip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We wanted that same folding handle when we were doing our build and told no by Escape . Maybe they might now . Pat
Quote:
Curious. It seems like an obvious alternative to a standard grab handle.
I agree that it is the obvious choice, but that would presumably have the top mount above the seam line, and the lower mount below it. In the classic Escape body style those two areas are not parallel, so the mounting brackets would not sit flat on the trailer wall. With the 2017 body style the wall is vertical both above and below the seam, so this would no longer be an issue... but there are still structural questions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had one of those oversized handles on my Lance Trailer, they have notches in 90/180/270 degrees to lock the handle open or shut at the 270, unfortunately, the 90 can be inadvertently utilized and the handle blocks the door. The Lance had a window near where I was able to unlock the handle and open the door. In addition they are large pieces of equipment. I'd suggest a free standing set of steps with a railing set up by hubby upon arrival. The interior pole by the door is quite handy to use exiting the trailer. See here TODD Dock Step Handrail | West Marine

As far as most of your other options, they can all be eliminated since you indicate moving with the weather, so cold and hot will not be an issue, thus no extra insulation or dual water heater or a/c nor thermal windows package nor removable power cord, all of these are not needed to use the trailer .Perhaps dual six volts for the occasional overnight stay but the basic trailer should be adequate for your use.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 21’ 2020
So much great info!

Brian, Great information about the equalizer, brakes, and hitch locks etc. I had not realized some of the different brands out there and you helped me so much! You really broke things down and explained them very well....thank you!

Kstock, The spa steps are a great idea. Nice and low for me. Stable too!

Pat and Harley had a great suggestion about the portable steps and rail. I didn't know that they existed. Definitely a help as I get weaker.

Washingtonia, Great suggestion about the walls as well as the Umbra hooks. I had read so much about these darn hooks through the past couple of months, and really didn't understand the enthusiasm. But it makes sense! Question about the walls however, do they significantly add any weight to the trailer? I read somewhere it was around 20 to 25 pounds per wall? Is that the case?

NWCat, so nice to see you again! Your post is filled with tons of very valuable information. We are still going through it, and will probably use many of your thoughts and suggestions. I also gleaned a lot from your build sheet post. Thanks so much! I'm so excited that this is finally happening!

I'm still going through all of the wonderful replies and information. Lots to digest, look up, and ponder. Thank you so much everybody! Will pop back in later today.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd suggest a free standing set of steps with a railing set up by hubby upon arrival.
I agree that this could be very effective; in addition to incorporating a handrail, it can be wider than the built-in steps, which should be helpful.

I built a set of steps for our fifth-wheel trailer, but that trailer was used as a seasonal cottage, and the steps I built are far too heavy and awkward to take along on a trip. The challenge will be the compromise between sufficient size and stability, and the weight and bulk. This will depend on the person deploying them, and the tow vehicle's cargo space.

An additional challenge with any steps is that the height to the trailer floor depends on the campsite: if you need to raise the door side wheel to level the trailer, the step up is higher.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that this could be very effective; in addition to incorporating a handrail, it can be wider than the built-in steps, which should be helpful.

I built a set of steps for our fifth-wheel trailer, but that trailer was used as a seasonal cottage, and the steps I built are far too heavy and awkward to take along on a trip. The challenge will be the compromise between sufficient size and stability, and the weight and bulk. This will depend on the person deploying them, and the tow vehicle's cargo space.

An additional challenge with any steps is that the height to the trailer floor depends on the campsite: if you need to raise the door side wheel to level the trailer, the step up is higher.
Brian that is a good idea but It is probably heavy to install . At camping World and I am sure other RV parts dealer they have a handrail system that you attach one place to your trailer like the Fiamma awning attachments for arms attach to your trailer shell . I don't know the name . Later I can look it up if no one else comes up with it. It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum .Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum
Without a picture, it is hard to imagine....
Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #28

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
spa steps

I second the steps from amazon. They are light and we set them on the floor on a rug while moving and easy to set out side when we stop.
Jack using them now in Morro Bay.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post

Washingtonia, Great suggestion about the walls as well as the Umbra hooks. I had read so much about these darn hooks through the past couple of months, and really didn't understand the enthusiasm. But it makes sense! Question about the walls however, do they significantly add any weight to the trailer? I read somewhere it was around 20 to 25 pounds per wall? Is that the case?
Sorry, I don't know what the weight increase would be. ETI basically installs a solid board between the paneling so the wall can handle a lot more weight hanging on it.

We had four walls done: two bathroom walls and both sides of the fridge. It was probably overkill, but sometimes overkill is good. With the 19, you may want to consider the left side of the fridge and the right side of the kitchen (for grab bars to get in/out of bed), the right side of the bathroom (grab bar getting up from the dinette), and the left side of the sink and right side of the dinette (for entering/exiting the trailer). I'm not that familiar with the 19 though, so some of these walls may already be solid. For example, the right side of the kitchen looks pretty robust. It appears to be weight-bearing.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum
Without a picture, it is hard to imagine....
In the camping world book page 56 . J Telescoping Rail Mate # 69346 . Removable rail that stores and sets up in just minutes . Lightweight and easy to install . Designed for most manual entry steps . Club sale $129.99 . I have seen another one but I am busy right now . I am sure others can look too . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #31

Another one Torklift RV Glow guide hand rail also sells ar Amazon . I use a platform under my step also . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #32

Checked it out further

I'm not sure if I should continue listing responses and questions here...or post in separate threads. For now I will stick with the former.

I did recently visit and check out another forum member's 19' trailer. Wow, was it decked out! The original owner even installed fans to prevent moisture underneath his mattress. Anyway, seeing the trailer in person is where I discovered the problem I had navigating the first step up, as well as needing another grab handle. I tested the dinette seat height as well, and with the assistance of the pedestal table, don't seem to have an issue arising from it at present.

Thanks Karen, for posting the link to that grab bar/handle, and to Harley, Brian, and Pat for their further discussion, links and suggestions regarding stair options. So there are several options open to me, and I'll consider what is practical, as well as what ETI can do. I will start by calling ETI to see if it's possible to install the larger handle considering the new trailer structure.

I do have a portable ramp that I could use if all else fails. But it's rather heavy and cumbersome.

Regarding the mattress I'm like the Princess and the Pea. NWCat, I did consider purchasing a select comfort mattress, as we've used that in the past and found it very comfortable. Ditto for the memory foam. However as you know, both are quite pricey. We have a combo mattress now (air and memory foam), which is a dream to sleep on. Do you all think that a memory foam topper or egg crate topper would help make ETI's mattress more comfortable then? Or should I go with an entirely different camping mattress?

As for the cot, that was my husband's contribution to the build List, and I'm not sure if it's something we will go with. For one, I don't know how much weight it can handle. DH was thinking along the lines of our adult children visiting us and having a place to sleep there. Does anyone know how much weight it can handle? He also thought that could be a good place for extra storage if need be. I know the walls would need to be reinforced for the cot option.
When reinforcing the walls for this or the TV arms etc., does ETI reinforce the entire wall or is it just relegated to particular sections? Each section costs $100?

Yes, the AC and extra insulation can seem like overkill to some people. But, with a very thin muscle mass, I am constantly cold, and very sensitive to temperature change, heat as well. I had read on several other forums, that AC was advisable in South Florida even during the winter! Not only because of the heat, but also condensation and humidity issues. Now, I also read that some people are using a portable AC unit. I just don't know how effective they are. Additionally, the device would take up the limited floor space available. So I don't think there's any way of getting around this cost for us.

Regarding insulation, DH thought that the spray foam underneath would enhance the insulation, as well as offer some protection from kicked up stones etc. Does anybody think this is the case? I looked into doing this after market if we found it was necessary, but it usually costs several hundred dollars more.

Marry and Yardsale mentioned the toilet height and the dining set height. Yes, both are concerns for me. I discovered that the Thetford toilet also comes in a high-profile model, with a couple extra inches of height. I think this could be beneficial. We're still going back-and-forth about the extra expense in raising the entire dinette area. I thought perhaps adding another, thicker cushion on top of the existing one could solve that problem in the future. What do you think?

Thank you all again for your thoughtful responses. You gave us much more to think about, and I'm confident we can now make more intelligent decisions regarding options and alterations for the build. I'll have more questions, but will post them at a different time.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 15A
I don't know the answer, but I was wondering if the rounded corners in the bed area would pose an issue for installing a conventional queen mattress?
An egg foam topper or memory foam topper could be trimmed to match the curvature of the corner if required?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I don't know the answer, but I was wondering if the rounded corners in the bed area would pose an issue for installing a conventional queen mattress?
An egg foam topper or memory foam topper could be trimmed to match the curvature of the corner if required?
The mattress in the 19 is a "conventional Queen" mattress. The corners are no more rounded than on the mattress used in homes. Many people have purchased a memory foam, latex or air chambered mattress and have used it in the 19.

We find the stock mattress fine for our use, but if we ever upgrade it, any Queen will fit.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #35

Quote:
At camping World and I am sure other RV parts dealer they have a handrail system that you attach one place to your trailer like the Fiamma awning attachments for arms attach to your trailer shell .
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum .
Quote:
In the camping world book page 56 . J Telescoping Rail Mate # 69346 .
Telescoping Rail Mate Catalog Item # 69346

I've heard of these, but only recently. It might be a good compromise between a handle mounted on only the trailer and a rail mounted to only a portable step. According to the owner's manual this one attaches only to the steps and ground - perhaps it could be attached to a bracket on the trailer (or to the steps if the portable step goes over them, with the ground foot attached to the portable step.

I think a rail which is supported higher, and on a part which (unlike the steps) is fixed to the trailer structure, would be desirable.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 15A
Thanks for that clarification rbryan4.
Somewhere along the way I had the sense that two of the corners were rounded to match the curvature of the trailer walls.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #37

Frugal Build sheet / disabled user questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The mattress in the 19 is a "conventional Queen" mattress. The corners are no more rounded than on the mattress used in homes. Many people have purchased a memory foam, latex or air chambered mattress and have used it in the 19.

We find the stock mattress fine for our use, but if we ever upgrade it, any Queen will fit.
Hi Art lady . Sleep on a select comfort at home and no matter what We did to Escape bed could not get comfortable . Latex toppers are the best , bounce back , are not affected by cold weather and getting hard , also do not make you hot . My concern though the bed is up there is get into and adding too much height with some toppers will make the bed even higher to get into . Just something to think about . We now have a 2in air bed with 2 in foam , 4 in latex which is the softest , which is the height with just the Escape mattress if we still had it . Extra insulation highly recommend for hot or cold weather . Any insulation you can get is always worth the cost . Toilet don't forget it is sitting up on a platform . I hope you have a chance to check out the height that Escape uses to see if it will work . Yes you can always add more foam to your dinette seats . We have just for more comfort . Only need to check seat heights in Escape's dinette . That would also help with the decision for the platform under the dinette floor . We have increased height mainly to see out windows better . Just some of my thoughts . Hope Escape can help with the nice lending handle . Don't forget a step platform they have , they fold up and are not heavy . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Telescoping Rail Mate Catalog Item # 69346

I've heard of these, but only recently. It might be a good compromise between a handle mounted on only the trailer and a rail mounted to only a portable step. According to the owner's manual this one attaches only to the steps and ground - perhaps it could be attached to a bracket on the trailer (or to the steps if the portable step goes over them, with the ground foot attached to the portable step.

I think a rail which is supported higher, and on a part which (unlike the steps) is fixed to the trailer structure, would be desirable.
My thoughts too Brian .Better Handrails are a good thing for all of us . I was a lot younger , coming out of my motorhome , took a flying leap off my bottom step as I was exiting . Went on purchased the folding lend a hand and also added to my camper . Good for anyone to have something substantial to hold on too . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Another one Torklift RV Glow guide hand rail also sells ar Amazon .
Torklift GlowGuide Handrail

Good suggestion I like that design, with its widely spaced three-point support. The trick would be making the mounting brackets work with an Escape.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #40

Wonderful ideas

Brian and Pat, I really appreciated the link to the Torklift handrail and step system, as well as the Telescoping rail mate system . It looks like they are great viable options, if no other permanent accommodations can be made by ETI. Great ideas that can really make my use of the trailer much safer!

ETI may want to consider some of these changes to accommodate a significant portion of their clients.

Also Pat, I appreciate your input about the mattress. What brand of air mattress do you have? It seems like that plus the foam latex topper would be adequate for my needs, and not too high in profile.
Regarding the dinette, I didn't consider my short stature and not seeing the view out of the window. So, that could be another reason to raise the dinette! Thank you so much for your insight and advice!
I learned so much from everyone here, thank you all for your time and thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated!