Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Another one Torklift RV Glow guide hand rail also sells ar Amazon . I use a platform under my step also . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model)
Checked it out further

I'm not sure if I should continue listing responses and questions here...or post in separate threads. For now I will stick with the former.

I did recently visit and check out another forum member's 19' trailer. Wow, was it decked out! The original owner even installed fans to prevent moisture underneath his mattress. Anyway, seeing the trailer in person is where I discovered the problem I had navigating the first step up, as well as needing another grab handle. I tested the dinette seat height as well, and with the assistance of the pedestal table, don't seem to have an issue arising from it at present.

Thanks Karen, for posting the link to that grab bar/handle, and to Harley, Brian, and Pat for their further discussion, links and suggestions regarding stair options. So there are several options open to me, and I'll consider what is practical, as well as what ETI can do. I will start by calling ETI to see if it's possible to install the larger handle considering the new trailer structure.

I do have a portable ramp that I could use if all else fails. But it's rather heavy and cumbersome.

Regarding the mattress I'm like the Princess and the Pea. NWCat, I did consider purchasing a select comfort mattress, as we've used that in the past and found it very comfortable. Ditto for the memory foam. However as you know, both are quite pricey. We have a combo mattress now (air and memory foam), which is a dream to sleep on. Do you all think that a memory foam topper or egg crate topper would help make ETI's mattress more comfortable then? Or should I go with an entirely different camping mattress?

As for the cot, that was my husband's contribution to the build List, and I'm not sure if it's something we will go with. For one, I don't know how much weight it can handle. DH was thinking along the lines of our adult children visiting us and having a place to sleep there. Does anyone know how much weight it can handle? He also thought that could be a good place for extra storage if need be. I know the walls would need to be reinforced for the cot option.
When reinforcing the walls for this or the TV arms etc., does ETI reinforce the entire wall or is it just relegated to particular sections? Each section costs $100?

Yes, the AC and extra insulation can seem like overkill to some people. But, with a very thin muscle mass, I am constantly cold, and very sensitive to temperature change, heat as well. I had read on several other forums, that AC was advisable in South Florida even during the winter! Not only because of the heat, but also condensation and humidity issues. Now, I also read that some people are using a portable AC unit. I just don't know how effective they are. Additionally, the device would take up the limited floor space available. So I don't think there's any way of getting around this cost for us.

Regarding insulation, DH thought that the spray foam underneath would enhance the insulation, as well as offer some protection from kicked up stones etc. Does anybody think this is the case? I looked into doing this after market if we found it was necessary, but it usually costs several hundred dollars more.

Marry and Yardsale mentioned the toilet height and the dining set height. Yes, both are concerns for me. I discovered that the Thetford toilet also comes in a high-profile model, with a couple extra inches of height. I think this could be beneficial. We're still going back-and-forth about the extra expense in raising the entire dinette area. I thought perhaps adding another, thicker cushion on top of the existing one could solve that problem in the future. What do you think?

Thank you all again for your thoughtful responses. You gave us much more to think about, and I'm confident we can now make more intelligent decisions regarding options and alterations for the build. I'll have more questions, but will post them at a different time.

Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 15A
I don't know the answer, but I was wondering if the rounded corners in the bed area would pose an issue for installing a conventional queen mattress?
An egg foam topper or memory foam topper could be trimmed to match the curvature of the corner if required?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I don't know the answer, but I was wondering if the rounded corners in the bed area would pose an issue for installing a conventional queen mattress?
An egg foam topper or memory foam topper could be trimmed to match the curvature of the corner if required?
The mattress in the 19 is a "conventional Queen" mattress. The corners are no more rounded than on the mattress used in homes. Many people have purchased a memory foam, latex or air chambered mattress and have used it in the 19.

We find the stock mattress fine for our use, but if we ever upgrade it, any Queen will fit.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
At camping World and I am sure other RV parts dealer they have a handrail system that you attach one place to your trailer like the Fiamma awning attachments for arms attach to your trailer shell .
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum .
Quote:
In the camping world book page 56 . J Telescoping Rail Mate # 69346 .
Telescoping Rail Mate Catalog Item # 69346

I've heard of these, but only recently. It might be a good compromise between a handle mounted on only the trailer and a rail mounted to only a portable step. According to the owner's manual this one attaches only to the steps and ground - perhaps it could be attached to a bracket on the trailer (or to the steps if the portable step goes over them, with the ground foot attached to the portable step.

I think a rail which is supported higher, and on a part which (unlike the steps) is fixed to the trailer structure, would be desirable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 15A
Thanks for that clarification rbryan4.
Somewhere along the way I had the sense that two of the corners were rounded to match the curvature of the trailer walls.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #37

Frugal Build sheet / disabled user questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The mattress in the 19 is a "conventional Queen" mattress. The corners are no more rounded than on the mattress used in homes. Many people have purchased a memory foam, latex or air chambered mattress and have used it in the 19.

We find the stock mattress fine for our use, but if we ever upgrade it, any Queen will fit.
Hi Art lady . Sleep on a select comfort at home and no matter what We did to Escape bed could not get comfortable . Latex toppers are the best , bounce back , are not affected by cold weather and getting hard , also do not make you hot . My concern though the bed is up there is get into and adding too much height with some toppers will make the bed even higher to get into . Just something to think about . We now have a 2in air bed with 2 in foam , 4 in latex which is the softest , which is the height with just the Escape mattress if we still had it . Extra insulation highly recommend for hot or cold weather . Any insulation you can get is always worth the cost . Toilet don't forget it is sitting up on a platform . I hope you have a chance to check out the height that Escape uses to see if it will work . Yes you can always add more foam to your dinette seats . We have just for more comfort . Only need to check seat heights in Escape's dinette . That would also help with the decision for the platform under the dinette floor . We have increased height mainly to see out windows better . Just some of my thoughts . Hope Escape can help with the nice lending handle . Don't forget a step platform they have , they fold up and are not heavy . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Telescoping Rail Mate Catalog Item # 69346

I've heard of these, but only recently. It might be a good compromise between a handle mounted on only the trailer and a rail mounted to only a portable step. According to the owner's manual this one attaches only to the steps and ground - perhaps it could be attached to a bracket on the trailer (or to the steps if the portable step goes over them, with the ground foot attached to the portable step.

I think a rail which is supported higher, and on a part which (unlike the steps) is fixed to the trailer structure, would be desirable.
My thoughts too Brian .Better Handrails are a good thing for all of us . I was a lot younger , coming out of my motorhome , took a flying leap off my bottom step as I was exiting . Went on purchased the folding lend a hand and also added to my camper . Good for anyone to have something substantial to hold on too . Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Another one Torklift RV Glow guide hand rail also sells ar Amazon .
Torklift GlowGuide Handrail

Good suggestion I like that design, with its widely spaced three-point support. The trick would be making the mounting brackets work with an Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #40

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model)
Wonderful ideas

Brian and Pat, I really appreciated the link to the Torklift handrail and step system, as well as the Telescoping rail mate system . It looks like they are great viable options, if no other permanent accommodations can be made by ETI. Great ideas that can really make my use of the trailer much safer!

ETI may want to consider some of these changes to accommodate a significant portion of their clients.

Also Pat, I appreciate your input about the mattress. What brand of air mattress do you have? It seems like that plus the foam latex topper would be adequate for my needs, and not too high in profile.
Regarding the dinette, I didn't consider my short stature and not seeing the view out of the window. So, that could be another reason to raise the dinette! Thank you so much for your insight and advice!
I learned so much from everyone here, thank you all for your time and thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated!

Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote