Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
When in a campground, I often watch inexperienced and/or bad trailers drive up and attempt to back into their campsites, often under the direction of their significant others. You would not believe some of yelling and gesturing that occurs in these situations. It sure makes me proud of my "nearly adequate" backing up abilities.
Ice breaker sometimes you don"t need a TV that is your entertainment . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi guys,
I plan on contacting ETI about many of these modifications. The grab bars in the bathroom are a definite must! Thanx Pat and Art for the timely and much appreciated advice!

So, is this something one can do aftermarket ourselves, then? Especially on the cabinet wall that abuts the bathroom wall?

Solar- Another question about solar panels. Although we don't intend on Boondocking as of now, there may arise time in the future that we may do so. DH was considering a portable rollup solar panel kit, or something similar, if need be. Would this necessitate us having ETI build the trailer "solar ready", or is it relatively straight forward to install it ourselves ? We don't want the panels to be permanently attached to the roof, however. Has anyone done this after market, and connected the wiring directly?

Back-up cameras... Would you say this is a necessity? Again, do you know of any good-quality aftermarket systems we could use? Or is the price difference negligible regarding ETI's versus our own system?

Umbra hooks- Can you all recommend two or three spots where the Umbra hooks have been extremely helpful or necessary? I'll be sure to have ETI reinforce the walls there as well.

NWCat, True about the mattresses. I've become very pampered with my select comfort and now my hybrid air and memory foam mattress. I'm still researching various possibilities and combinations. We do plan on driving up to tour the factory and pick up our trailer, so we can bring something with us.

We are planning to spend some time in Northwest Washington, and then taking about a week or slightly more to travel back home. Is there a particular sub-forum that discusses best, scenic, and/or safe routes to drive on various trips? I just worry about some of the mountain passes through Montana! Yikes!

You all have been so kind and helpful, thank you so much!
I am so excited about this trailer, as I believe it will give me some more freedom to travel around. However, I do have a lot to learn! So, any more advice from your experiences will help immensely. And of course, I'm still researching on this extensive forum.
Have a good day y'all !
Hi Art lady found a few pictures for some idea"s
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0381.jpg   IMG_0423.jpg   IMG_0421.jpg   IMG_0639 2.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
a few more idea's . If you are getting the new 2017 you will get a cabinet built in for you so don"t worry about that . I wanted you to see the removable towel rack for hanging wet things if it is not possible outside because of weather. We put our wet suits etc. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0556.jpg   IMG_0371.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #64

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Haha! No, NW Cat, I won't always have the opportunity to "yell" at my DH as he is gesturing wildly as I'm trying to back up. (icebreaker, a nod to you about this as well.

Fortunately, I seem to have good spatial awareness abilities. Regardless, I do need some sort of back up camera system both to use at the sites when I'm traveling solo, as well as awareness whilst driving . I'll check into Pat's suggestion about the Voyager camera system, as well as others.
Great! I will certainly try to check out the trips and travel section. I'm sure there are many other mountain passes, serpentine roads, and sheer drop-offs...all potential hazards that I need to be aware of.

Greg A and Pat, thanks for further clarification about the solar. I checked out the Go Power on Amazon as Pat suggested. There are many options of different wattage and sizes, so we have a myriad of options there.

Pat and Art, I appreciate the further information and clarification about the grab bars and reinforcements. DH and I will carefully look at the floor plan and measurements to determine the best location for us. Both DH and I are pretty handy with regards to woodworking, installation, using screws and bolts, etc. So, thank you!

For some reason, I must have missed the information about the bedside folding shelf or table. I will have to check into that further, as it does sound like something I would need.

Greg, I looked on Amazon and saw that there were a variety of Umbra hook models. One even had a sculptural/artsy modern design! Pretty neat. Do you think that the two-hook cubby model would fit near the door, and also might be useful in the bathroom to hold soap and towels etc.? I'll attach a link below.
Besides this, what do people usually use and/or attach to the walls to hold their soap or shampoos etc.?
Thanks everyone... I've been researching ad nauseam, and your comments and advice are helping to streamline my efforts!

Robot Check
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #65

Pat, I just saw your posts and photos as I was posting my reply. You are an angel! The photos really help to visualize location and mods. May I ask what/ where the drop-down table is?

Is the towel rack something that ETI installs or is it something we do?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You could use the edge of the sink as a sort of a grab bar. If you want to install a proper and strong grab bar in the bathroom one good location is at the seam between the upper and lower halves of the bathroom shell covered by a trim piece.

Behind this area, accessed by removing the drawer under the closet, is a 1" x 2". A grab bar installed with the bolts/screws into this framing will be very strong.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-05-2016 11-52-49 AM_0001_resize.JPG   09-05-2016 11-53-12 AM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Pat, I just saw your posts and photos as I was posting my reply. You are an angel! The photos really help to visualize location and mods. May I ask what/ where the drop-down table is?

Is the towel rack something that ETI installs or is it something we do?
Hi Art lady . When we purchased our Escape we purchased 2 of the drop down tables . Later, I will go get you a picture of the other side of bed area so you can see shelf . I remade table top because I wanted a bigger shelf in the picture you see using the same drop down mechanism we purchased from Escape . You said you are handy , doing art work , you kind of need to be , Frames, etc . (Linda also paints )Bath towel bar you can put in . Closet rod, etc. real easy . Home Depot, Lowe's . Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Hi Art lady . When we purchased our Escape we purchased 2 of the drop down tables . Later, I will go get you a picture of the other side of bed area so you can see shelf . I remade table top because I wanted a bigger shelf in the picture you see using the same drop down mechanism we purchased from Escape . You said you are handy , doing art work , you kind of need to be , Frames, etc . (Linda also paints )Bath towel bar you can put in . Closet rod, etc. real easy . Home Depot, Lowe's . Pat
In about a week when my Teak gets here Thanks to Chris R.'s help , making a shelf by the sink . Will post here soon Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #69

Quote:
a few more idea's . If you are getting the new 2017 you will get a cabinet built in for you so don"t worry about that . I wanted you to see the removable towel rack for hanging wet things if it is not possible outside because of weather. We put our wet suits etc. Pat
Hi Art lady . Picture of folding Escape shelf.Also other side of bath door inside hooks are see screwed from each side . Some hooks Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg   DSC_0003.jpg   DSC_0002.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You could use the edge of the sink as a sort of a grab bar...
I would suggest not using the sink as a grab bar. Mine does not seem strong enough to support any serious weight, and I would hate to break it off of the wall by pulling on it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I would suggest not using the sink as a grab bar. Mine does not seem strong enough to support any serious weight, and I would hate to break it off of the wall by pulling on it.
Couldn't agree more, but that was a previous suggestion and the sink is a natural object to grab as an aid. So that's why I suggested a proper grab bar through bolted into the framing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Couldn't agree more, but that was a previous suggestion and the sink is a natural object to grab as an aid. So that's why I suggested a proper grab bar through bolted into the framing.

Ron
Good thought though Ron . They could add a wider piece of wood under the existing framing sometimes instead of straight handicap grab bar ,it works good to slant it a little . After installing for others thought maybe I should too in my baths while I could at home actually use them all the time . Pat
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #73

All good suggestions, and photos. Visuals really help! Thank you Ron and Pat, for all you you posted and explained.

Now I will know what to ask ETI to do as far as the grab bars... What's safe versus not, and practical. Ditto for the hooks.

Yes, Ron, DH and I have been quite handy. But now that we're older, and DH is still working full-time, of course comes the time benefit versus cost factor

I made quite a few beautiful bookshelves with routing in my day... Along with frames etc.
So yes, if need be, we can make all sorts of shelves and flip downs. Seeing yours gave us some wonderful ideas, so thank you!