Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Brian and Pat, I really appreciated the link to the Torklift handrail and step system, as well as the Telescoping rail mate system . It looks like they are great viable options, if no other permanent accommodations can be made by ETI. Great ideas that can really make my use of the trailer much safer!

ETI may want to consider some of these changes to accommodate a significant portion of their clients.

Also Pat, I appreciate your input about the mattress. What brand of air mattress do you have? It seems like that plus the foam latex topper would be adequate for my needs, and not too high in profile.
Regarding the dinette, I didn't consider my short stature and not seeing the view out of the window. So, that could be another reason to raise the dinette! Thank you so much for your insight and advice!
I learned so much from everyone here, thank you all for your time and thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated!
Hi Artlady .the air mattress we have is no longer available actually we have had it for a long time , bought for previous RV. I would suggest finding the shortest in height air mattress or you could use 2 camping mattresses . Hopefully no more then. 5-6 in in height . Then purchase a latex topper 2 in if your air bed is 6 in , 3 in if you can find 5 in . You want to end up with no higher then 8 in total . Really you will love the platform at the dinette to see out , we are 5 6 in and 5 5 in and we were sitting too low . You would definely want your walls reenforced for any grab handles and for hanging things . They do not add much weight and don't cover the whole wall . About 1 sheet of 3/8 ply total when all your walls are done . I will find it but especially for bath a nice teak grab handle not much money . I had one put right as going out door for my camper to hold on going out the door . Amazon has them for a good price .don't be afraid to ask for any help or questions you have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
B

ETI may want to consider some of these changes to accommodate a significant portion of their clients.
You're right, we are an aging population and already a percentage of RV users have mobility issues and the number will increase. RV's may start to go the way of housing where accessibility is given more consideration.

I've made a number of devices to allow seniors, who love kayaking and don't want to give it up, the ability to still get in and out unassisted. Maybe one day soon I'll even need to use one of them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Artlady .the air mattress we have is no longer available actually we have had it for a long time , bought for previous RV. I would suggest finding the shortest in height air mattress or you could use 2 camping mattresses . Hopefully no more then. 5-6 in in height . Then purchase a latex topper 2 in if your air bed is 6 in , 3 in if you can find 5 in . You want to end up with no higher then 8 in total . Really you will love the platform at the dinette to see out , we are 5 6 in and 5 5 in and we were sitting too low . You would definely want your walls reenforced for any grab handles and for hanging things . They do not add much weight and don't cover the whole wall . About 1 sheet of 3/8 ply total when all your walls are done . I will find it but especially for bath a nice teak grab handle not much money . I had one put right as going out door for my camper to hold on going out the door . Amazon has them for a good price .don't be afraid to ask for any help or questions you have . Pat
Not sure how to grab pictures from Amazon but here is the information on handrail especially for bath Whitecap 60101 13 solid teak handrail 16.12 . 13 in long X 2 3/8 in h X 1 in d .model item number NA-CWR-50803 . As I mentioned had installed one at doorway going out of my camper . I will be getting another one myself . Pat
Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If I recall, one of the Escapees parks in TX is equipped with an Assisted Living section. You can get one of the spots in that section when needed, setup and nursing care, etc. comes to your trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We are pretty picky about mattresses and have found that the Escape 19 mattress is just fine for us without adding anything to it.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If I recall, one of the Escapees parks in TX is equipped with an Assisted Living section. You can get one of the spots in that section when needed, setup and nursing care, etc. comes to your trailer.
It's the Escapees Care Center in Livingston, TX
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
We got an extra grab bar on the other side of the door, as you are planning. After having both hips replaced, Kathy finds it helpful for entering the trailer.

You didn't mention grab bars in the bathroom. We decided to get an 18" (45 cm) one that screws firmly to the wall, which we had reinforced for that purpose. We thought of the suction cup type that would be easier to install anywhere on fiberglass, but found the idea of a suction cup breaking free of the wall when we had our full weight on it a terrifying thought!

We found the costs of shipping to Canada considerably higher, than within the US, plus the duty that was charged to ETI and eventually to us. The grab bar was the one owner-supplied item for which we succeeded in locating a Canadian vendor (Grab Bars Canada) who shipped directly to ETI at a low cost.

Incidentally, we found the standard toilet to be near ADA height and easy for us to use.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #48

You mentioned you had hip surgery and you like sleeping on air and foam . The Escape mattress even with our new Latex topper went right down and made pressure points , Could not sleep at all .I am going by what you have liked and needs . Some people can sleep on hard mattresses . I haven't had hip surgery but I need my mattress to conform and be soft . We sold ours after trying out all kinds of fixes and wish we hadn't bought it . Luckily got 100. for it . It seemed ok and we went for it but there is not a spring mattress I can sleep on . I used to sleep on the floor when I was young but because of the damage from work and old age ,it does not work for me . Most important You need to get your needs met and they may be different from mine or anyone else's . Just my take . Pat
Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
You didn't mention grab bars in the bathroom. We decided to get an 18" (45 cm) one that screws firmly to the wall, which we had reinforced for that purpose.

The grab bar was the one owner-supplied item for which we succeeded in locating a Canadian vendor (Grab Bars Canada) who shipped directly to ETI at a low cost.

Incidentally, we found the standard toilet to be near ADA height and easy for us to use.
So, ETI installed it for you? Interesting! I had asked about this back in Sept when we first went there and we were told they would not do this. Interesting! I'll have to research this some more, as I'm interested in having some sort of grab bar in the bathroom. And that wall is getting reinforced, so that's not a worry.

Re: the toilet - if you're thinking of getting a different one and having ETI install it - forget that thought! I was exploring the idea of an elongated toilet but they won't install it. So, if I want it (and if I feel there's still enough room to take a shower), I have to chuck the old one and install a new one. What a waste! Unless someone is willing to buy a slightly used RV toilet.

Re: the bed - only you will know if the bed won't work for you. Our reasoning is that it's hard for me to sleep on other beds. Yeah, if I'm tired enough, but even then I can wake up with a very sore back, hip, shoulder, whatever. Dirk felt it was worth the cost to get the full size Select Comfort bed. After all, I'll be doing most of the driving and I really don't want to drive when I've gotten crap for sleep. Dangerous! Yeah, not doing that.

Yeah, those beds are expensive. Yeah, you can fiddle fart around with foam toppers, egg carton toppers, this and that type of mattress for months on end. Meanwhile, you're getting crummy sleep and your body feels worse (which is probably not the greatest idea with your disease). And then you'll realize - shoulda got it in the first place.

Of course, this is just MY opinion - yours and others may vary. When I had a motorhome rental last year I used a memory foam topper and I hated it! I could not get comfortable in it, compared to what I was used to. That's why there wasn't any "discussion" about getting the Select Comfort for The Trailer.

Are you guys coming back to get the trailer or will you have it delivered? If you're picking up, you could always pick up a foam topper after you get it and try it out. It just might work for ya. If not, order the Select Comfort when you get home. You just won't get the credit from ETI for not getting their mattress, but at least you'll have something to sleep on while you drive it back. Other option would be to have it shipped to ETI (expensive and customs added on) or to a shipping/receiving place in Sumas or nearby.

Lots to think about!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote:
You didn't mention grab bars in the bathroom. We decided to get an 18" (45 cm) one that screws firmly to the wall, which we had reinforced for that purpose.
I should have mentioned that we have a 21', and reinforced the wall between the bath and bed. This provides some 'meat' for the screws to grab into. So far it feels secure.

I'm not sure that a grab bar can be installed in a 19' bathroom. Can't do it on an outside wall. Possibly could reinforce wall opposite toilet and install bar beside sink, but that might be too long a reach. The most convenient location appears to me to be bolted through the door; but you would have to convince yourself that the door hinges are strong enough to withstand the forces (iffy), and that it wouldn't matter if the door unlatched while you were pulling on the grab bar.
You're pulling it shut so maybe that's ok?
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Sorry -- I jumped in with my two cents too quickly -- I agree with Laura on this one -- probably best to get the kind of bedding you're already used to so that you're comfortable from the beginning.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #52

Quote:
We got an extra grab bar on the other side of the door, as you are planning. After having both hips replaced, Kathy finds it helpful for entering the trailer.

You didn't mention grab bars in the bathroom. We decided to get an 18" (45 cm) one that screws firmly to the wall, which we had reinforced for that purpose. We thought of the suction cup type that would be easier to install anywhere on fiberglass, but found the idea of a suction cup breaking free of the wall when we had our full weight on it a terrifying thought!

We found the costs of shipping to Canada considerably higher, than within the US, plus the duty that was charged to ETI and eventually to us. The grab bar was the one owner-supplied item for which we succeeded in locating a Canadian vendor (Grab Bars Canada) who shipped directly to ETI at a low cost.

Very easy to install grab bars on wall in bath , hopefully you got walls reenforced . Would NOT use door to hold onto . In the 19 which is what I have and Artlady is getting you can also add a backer board in closet to screw in from inside bath . Also can use wall behind toilet same idea ,I have a cabinet there I made , on other side add a nice piece of wood that you screw in from bath. Use that nice piece say oak add hangers that screw in so it just is not a piece of wood if you like . Pat
Old 05-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Possibly could reinforce wall opposite toilet and install bar beside sink, but that might be too long a reach.
Beside the sink shouldn't be too far... that's where the toilet paper holder is located. From the base of the toilet to that wall is only 27".
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #54

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Grab bars, solar, Umbra, oh my!

Hi guys,
I plan on contacting ETI about many of these modifications. The grab bars in the bathroom are a definite must! Thanx Pat and Art for the timely and much appreciated advice!

So, is this something one can do aftermarket ourselves, then? Especially on the cabinet wall that abuts the bathroom wall?

Solar- Another question about solar panels. Although we don't intend on Boondocking as of now, there may arise time in the future that we may do so. DH was considering a portable rollup solar panel kit, or something similar, if need be. Would this necessitate us having ETI build the trailer "solar ready", or is it relatively straight forward to install it ourselves ? We don't want the panels to be permanently attached to the roof, however. Has anyone done this after market, and connected the wiring directly?

Back-up cameras... Would you say this is a necessity? Again, do you know of any good-quality aftermarket systems we could use? Or is the price difference negligible regarding ETI's versus our own system?

Umbra hooks- Can you all recommend two or three spots where the Umbra hooks have been extremely helpful or necessary? I'll be sure to have ETI reinforce the walls there as well.

NWCat, True about the mattresses. I've become very pampered with my select comfort and now my hybrid air and memory foam mattress. I'm still researching various possibilities and combinations. We do plan on driving up to tour the factory and pick up our trailer, so we can bring something with us.

We are planning to spend some time in Northwest Washington, and then taking about a week or slightly more to travel back home. Is there a particular sub-forum that discusses best, scenic, and/or safe routes to drive on various trips? I just worry about some of the mountain passes through Montana! Yikes!

You all have been so kind and helpful, thank you so much!
I am so excited about this trailer, as I believe it will give me some more freedom to travel around. However, I do have a lot to learn! So, any more advice from your experiences will help immensely. And of course, I'm still researching on this extensive forum.
Have a good day y'all !
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
The "solar ready" option offered by ETI would only work if you plan on mounting the panels to your roof eventually. Which is why we did not select that option. We are also thinking of portable solar panels eventually if we find we need one. So I'm interested in any answers that you get here about what is required to add one.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #56

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Back-up cameras... Would you say this is a necessity? Again, do you know of any good-quality aftermarket systems we could use? Or is the price difference negligible regarding ETI's versus our own system?

We are planning to spend some time in Northwest Washington, and then taking about a week or slightly more to travel back home. Is there a particular sub-forum that discusses best, scenic, and/or safe routes to drive on various trips? I just worry about some of the mountain passes through Montana! Yikes!
We added the back-up camera (which is also a review camera when you're driving; least the one installed by ETI is) as there will be many times I'm using the trailer on my own. Plus, I have one on my Toyota FJ and I *detest* driving without one now. You get so used to it giving you extra visibility and all that.

Anyway, if you're always traveling as a couple, which many do, you may feel you don't need that back-up camera. One of you can stand outside and yell directions at the driver. Or gesture wildly. Or use a walky-talky for directions. You know how you'll be using the trailer, so only you can really answer that question.

We're getting the ETI supplied camera as it was one less thing for us to install later on. I think I researched the price, but I've looked at so many things I can't remember all of 'em. Even if there was, since they install it, it was worth it to us.

There's probably lots of threads in the "Trips and Travel Planning" section of this forum that will help with your route. And, of course, all that will depend upon what time of year you're picking up. And it's just not MT you have to worry about - the passes in WA can be tricky at times during the winter. And then the one between WA and ID can be fun as well.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Hi guys,
I plan on contacting ETI about many of these modifications. The grab bars in the bathroom are a definite must! Thanx Pat and Art for the timely and much appreciated advice!

So, is this something one can do aftermarket ourselves, then? Especially on the cabinet wall that abuts the bathroom wall?

Solar- Another question about solar panels. Although we don't intend on Boondocking as of now, there may arise time in the future that we may do so. DH was considering a portable rollup solar panel kit, or something similar, if need be. Would this necessitate us having ETI build the trailer "solar ready", or is it relatively straight forward to install it ourselves ? We don't want the panels to be permanently attached to the roof, however. Has anyone done this after market, and connected the wiring directly?

Umbra hooks- Can you all recommend two or three spots where the Umbra hooks have been extremely helpful or necessary? I'll be sure to have ETI reinforce the walls there as well.

NWCat, True about the mattresses. I've become very pampered with my select comfort and now my hybrid air and memory foam mattress. I'm still researching various possibilities and combinations. We do plan on driving up to tour the factory and pick up our trailer, so we can bring something with us.

You all have been so kind and helpful, thank you so much!
I am so excited about this trailer, as I believe it will give me some more freedom to travel around. However, I do have a lot to learn! So, any more advice from your experiences will help immensely. And of course, I'm still researching on this extensive forum.
Have a good day y'all !
Hi Artlady , yes many items can be done later , lots of information and pictures on this forum to help . For hanging up your grab bars , which are very important to you , yourself or the person doing the installing ,has a understanding of the basics of installing items to walls for example ,length of screws to be used , what is needed for support for grabs etc. Solar , since you are getting the 19 and if you get the front box , your batteries will be in the front box , very easy to hook up folding solar panels to your batteries . We have the GoPower folding solar it comes with all the connections you would ever need . Amazon carries Go Power so you can take a look . Back up camera we also have but I don't know if Escape will install anything else . We have the Voyager wireless backup camera which Escape at the time installed for us . No problems so far . Umbra hooks we also have . I guess it is personal preference . Some of the places are outside bath walls , dinette wall , bed walls , but I think you will really like the fold up table option in bed area for things like books , clock etc. don't forget to check the idea's and pictures on the forum . Hope some of this helps . Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The easiest solar add since you have the 19 with batteries on the tongue is to get a portable panel later when you want it and alligator clip onto the battery and deploy. Most all the portables come with everything you need and are simple.

We took a five umbra hook and ETI cut it down to four and we mounted on the cabin side bathroom wall towards the u dinette. Great location for coats etc.
A two hook would be nice if it fit on the front side of the door for keys, etc. On the kitchen side of the bed wall would be nice for hats.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The easiest solar add since you have the 19 with batteries on the tongue is to get a portable panel later when you want it and alligator clip onto the battery and deploy. Most all the portables come with everything you need and are simple.

We took a five umbra hook and ETI cut it down to four and we mounted on the cabin side bathroom wall towards the u dinette. Great location for coats etc.
A two hook would be nice if it fit on the front side of the door for keys, etc. On the kitchen side of the bed wall would be nice for hats.
Nicely said Gregg ! Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
...Anyway, if you're always traveling as a couple, which many do, you may feel you don't need that back-up camera. One of you can stand outside and yell directions at the driver. Or gesture wildly...
When in a campground, I often watch inexperienced and/or bad trailers drive up and attempt to back into their campsites, often under the direction of their significant others. You would not believe some of yelling and gesturing that occurs in these situations. It sure makes me proud of my "nearly adequate" backing up abilities.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote