Ft. Knox Coupler Lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Ft. Knox Coupler Lock

We're going to be on the road several months this year and plan on boondocking whenever possible. I'm always uncomfortable leaving our Escape 19 unattended and unhooked in these situations. So, I bought a Ft. Knox "Attwood" lock for our coupler. They're not cheap but they are well made. I'm thinking a would be trailer thief would give up and move on to an easier target. If nothing else, the commotion and cursing trying to get the lock off the trailer will attract too much attention.

https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop?olsPage...%2Fatwood-plus
Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpeg   Side.jpeg   Front.jpeg   Bottom.jpeg  
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
My first thought is that the lock says "this trailer is expensive", and thieves could merely haul the trailer away by the chains, so wrap and lock your chains with a husky lock as well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Nice looking lock.

Smart to lock things up the best you reasonably can. Trailer was in the ungated lot of a tire shop earlier this week visible from a busy roadway. When we learned that they hadn't gotten to it and wanted to keep it overnight it was decided that unless they remove two wheels from one side and/or parked a truck in front of it boxing it in (in addition to the coupler lock) that we should go pick it up and take it back in the morning. So we picked it up.

Fiberglass trailers are so rare around here that I'm not sure if they are seen as exotic and highly valuable or if potential thieves don't even know what they are looking at. It's valuable to us and that is all that matters so not going to take the chance.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Nice looking lock . Did you look at Proven lock too ? Wondering if one is Better then the other ? Want to get something better then what we have besides the rest of what we have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Most locks only slow down someone who wants something bad enough, if they want it even with a lock they will take it.
i'm in the office furniture industry and one thing I say when people ask about drawer locks is understand they are only made to keep honest people out.
On a trailer if I'm worried about it being stolen I take the multi tier approach, lock the tongue somehow and then also run chains through the wheels. Most crooks I believe are also lazy so they look for the easier targets so just try and make it not so easy.
Also I'm lucky enough to store our Grover inside our warehouse. About 3 months ago we got broken into, my partners Casita (used to be mine) they went through it because it was unlocked , our Escape was locked. What I think happened is after going through Casita and finding nothing of value in their eyes not worth the effort to break into ours. Now though I leave it unlocked, rather someone go through it and find nothing then what getting the door fixed could cost.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Now though I leave it unlocked, rather someone go through it and find nothing then what getting the door fixed could cost.
I had left my temporary trailer unlocked accidentally, parked in a spot off an alley beside a garage I rent for storage. It seems a homeless person figured this out and lived in their for a while. Never caused any damage, just a bit dirty with some trash inside.

At the storage spot for my 5.0TA, which is just a different parking spot off an alley, I just run a locked cable through the wheels (and keep the door locked).

I think generally a fifth wheel is less of a target than a bumper pull, especially with the Anderson adaptor mounted on the pin. The landing gear control location is not real obvious either, though I have considered a hidden kill switch for them too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Most locks only slow down someone who wants something bad enough, if they want it even with a lock they will take it.
i'm in the office furniture industry and one thing I say when people ask about drawer locks is understand they are only made to keep honest people out.
On a trailer if I'm worried about it being stolen I take the multi tier approach, lock the tongue somehow and then also run chains through the wheels. Most crooks I believe are also lazy so they look for the easier targets so just try and make it not so easy.
Also I'm lucky enough to store our Grover inside our warehouse. About 3 months ago we got broken into, my partners Casita (used to be mine) they went through it because it was unlocked , our Escape was locked. What I think happened is after going through Casita and finding nothing of value in their eyes not worth the effort to break into ours. Now though I leave it unlocked, rather someone go through it and find nothing then what getting the door fixed could cost.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
I was wondering if the Knox lock is comparable to the Proven lock ? I hear you about many approaches to deterring theft . That is what we do . Having dealt with insurance before many times , it won't replace our trailer . In many ways have made our trailer are own . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote