Furrion Detachable Power Cord Conversion - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Or see if Reace would just leave the standard cordset coiled inside with no hole drilled in the shell. This complicates plugging in until the mod is complete but you have what you want in the end without the additional expense of the removable cord option from ETI. If the U-shaped dinette is ordered the cord may be able to be routed out the passenger side access hatch in the short term.
I bought their whole RV system . The cords are black for RV's . Orange cords for boats . I bought the stainless inlet . They also have in I think it is plastic in different colors for the inlet . Less money . I am going to make a spare cord out of what I cut off . Their cord is completely sealed with a blue led lamp on their cord . I will have their matching end on the cord I make but no blue Led . My cord will be 20 ft . Their's is 30 ft . If you buy the whole system they also included a nice nylon bag for their cord . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Great work as always, Pat. You're state of the art now, and love the setup of that system. I wonder if they will make a 90 degree cord adaptor to relieve the cord strain like the Marinco etc systems have. I have a 90 adaptor on order that will eliminate the threaded connector ring on the trailer end and give me an EZ lock ring to hook the cord to the trailer.
Hi Greg Thankyou .You won't need the 90 degree angle with their system . The way it all attaches including the door coming down and locking on takes care of that. This is such a intelligent well thought out system . Yes sprucing up our trailer exterior . Love stainless so that's what we bought. More to come , just don't tell Linda . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #23

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Talked to them on the phone . No longer the thermostat . These are also made for boaters and they listen and removed . It was a problem for them because they could think the power was off , go working on their boat and the power comes back on . Not good . It is no longer in the cords . Pat
good to know ...thanks for the update.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #24

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Then perhaps a scheme would be to buy the optional detachable cord, then replace it with the SmartPlug and sell the complete removable cord system (inlet and cordset) to someone else... recovering at least some of the cost of the option.

I guess I'm going to have to do this. It's a small thing, but I really like the SmartPlug it's elegant engineering, even from a the human factors perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Or see if Reace would just leave the standard cordset coiled inside with no hole drilled in the shell. This complicates plugging in until the mod is complete but you have what you want in the end without the additional expense of the removable cord option from ETI. If the U-shaped dinette is ordered the cord may be able to be routed out the passenger side access hatch in the short term.

I'll ask them, all they can say is no. This cold be a challenge for them. They'd need to have outlets on the P/S of the trailer. Each little irregularity adds effort for the techs doing the installs.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #25

Trailer: pondering.....
one other thing one might consider with these Retrofit removable power cord solutions..is the mounting method to the trailer and more specifically what if any reinforcement on the inside of the trailer around the cutout for the mounting bolts/screws might be needed. A non-removable cord probably puts little stress on the current plastic hole plug. The removable cords look like perhaps they might put a lot of stress on the power inlet due to weight of cord plug and or in the case of accidentally getting hit..so perhaps reinforcement metal/wood on the inside around the cutout might be a good thing versus just the thickness of the fiberglass.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That looks really nice Pat. I hadn't seen that system before, and it looks like very high quality.

I was a little surprised by the size of your mousehole. Ours was much smaller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Large hole , made my own plate for now . have a stainless plate shipping soon and will use the one I made for template . Have another end coming so make another spare cord out of what I cut off from trailer . Great company and exceptional system and support . Pat
Looks great Pat, nice work.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That looks really nice Pat. I hadn't seen that system before, and it looks like very high quality.

I was a little surprised by the size of your mousehole. Ours was much smaller.

Thanks Robert . Yes it was a big hole 3 1/4 in diameter . I think Smartplug out of Seattle , Washington , started to manufacturer for the boating Industry. Now they are moving into RV's also. First became aware watching a fellow change out his detachable to the Smartplug on his new Airstream . He didn't like the ring and wanted the stainless for his trailer . They do also make their system in the plastic for less money also . Your posts also gave me the idea to change what we had . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Looks great Pat, nice work.
Thankyou Eric. Battery off charger 12.8-12.9 . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That Smart Plug looks great, Pat. What a welcome change that will be compared to the old push and stow. You will wonder why you didn't do it earlier, I know I felt that way when I converted my 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That Smart Plug looks great, Pat. What a welcome change that will be compared to the old push and stow. You will wonder why you didn't do it earlier, I know I felt that way when I converted my 19.
Thankyou Jim . I think this is going to be a lot better . No more crawling under the bed Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
...If you buy the whole system they also included a nice nylon bag for their cord .
Very nice work! I, too, would never go back to the push-and-stow system for my power cord. A bag would be nice but the best five bucks I ever spent on the trailer was this Cable Wraptor...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TRI1MG
Attached Thumbnails
Cable Wraptor.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hi Ron did another electrical on the trailer . Getting my confidence . Yes no struggling at all , no rings , the sides very easy push in to remove . Just push in , it locks in place , then the top comes down and locks into a little tab to hold it .3 locks so to speak . Nice led lamp to tell you if you have power .Had to change the cord out . There are fingers inside that we're breaking off . Cheap plastic. The main reason was last trip , it was cold and the darn cord was tangled and had to get under bed remove my ply panel etc. what a pain . It was poring rain also at the time and needed to hook up . That did it . Going to get the stainless cable for the coax inlet next . Sprucing up the exterior some . By the way love the little giant ladder , has been used lots , not just on trailer . Pat
This is a definite problem on 19's. Yes, you have fixed that! Very snazzy, Pat!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Very nice work! I, too, would never go back to the push-and-stow system for my power cord. A bag would be nice but the best five bucks I ever spent on the trailer was this Cable Wraptor...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TRI1MG
Thankyou Karen . I'll use that suggestion for my spare cord that doesn't have the bag . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I'll ask them, all they can say is no. This cold be a challenge for them. They'd need to have outlets on the P/S of the trailer. Each little irregularity adds effort for the techs doing the installs.
Not following you. Outlets on the passenger side of the trailer? I'm referring to using the access hatch door propped open as a temporary means to make a power connection. From pictures it is on the passenger side rear.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
This is a definite problem on 19's. Yes, you have fixed that! Very snazzy, Pat!
Hey Cathy . Snazzing up our trailer ! Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Hey Cathy . Snazzing up our trailer ! Pat
You sure did!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I've had the Furrion installed for almost a year now. My trailer has been stored in direct sunlight for the last four months. I've noticed the furrion port is starting to yellow... or maybe it just needs to be cleaned. [emoji51]
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I've had the Furrion installed for almost a year now. My trailer has been stored in direct sunlight for the last four months. I've noticed the furrion port is starting to yellow... or maybe it just needs to be cleaned. [emoji51]
Good to know Sean. I'll make sure to wipe mine with a little 303 whenever I clean the trailer. Maybe that will prevent it. Ours is stored under cover, so maybe it's not a concern.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
good to know ...thanks for the update.
Hi I double checked with Smartplug yesterday to confirm about guess it's called thermostat and the answer was it is no longer installed in RV or Marine cords because there was no manual reset . Pat