Furrion Detachable Power Cord Conversion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Furrion Detachable Power Cord Conversion

Last mod before I put the trailer back in storage for a few weeks. Finishing up the install of the Furrion detachable power cord conversion.

Cord is done, now to install the trailer side. I really like this kit. High quality is evident. Here's the original trailer cord after conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
furrion cord.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very nice, Robert. Lots of Scamp Owners have been using this kit and giving rave reviews.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, I did the same mod for my Scamp and liked having the cord detachable. Ordering one ready made for the Escape was a no-brainer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Trailer side done. Hardest part was removing all the sealant around the old plastic mousehole. Worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
20161011_130819.jpg   20161011_130754.jpg   20161011_130841.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Looks like high quality stuff - nice work.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Trailer side done. Hardest part was removing all the sealant around the old plastic mousehole. Worth the effort.
Looks great!
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Detachable Power cord Conversion

Received new Smartplug detachable cord system and finished installation .
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002 5.jpg   DSC_0003 4.jpg   DSC_0004 3.jpg   DSC_0009 2.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

Detachable power Cord conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0010 2.jpg   DSC_0011.jpg   DSC_0012.jpg   DSC_0013.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #9

detachable Power cord Conversion

Quote:
More pictures
Large hole , made my own plate for now . have a stainless plate shipping soon and will use the one I made for template . Have another end coming so make another spare cord out of what I cut off from trailer . Great company and exceptional system and support . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0014.jpg   DSC_0015.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nice work. I'm sure you'll find it more convenient than stuffing a wet cord inside under the berth.

Looks like the lid just drops down and locks the cord in similar to the 7 pin connector. Easier than dealing with the sometimes temperamental lock ring.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Large hole , made my own plate for now . have a stainless plate shipping soon and will use the one I made for template . Have another end coming so make another spare cord out of what I cut off from trailer . Great company and exceptional system and support . Pat
Both this and the Furrion look great!

I wish we could get ETI to figure out something that allowed us to retrofit these without big hole left from the attached power cable. It's not the cable, but the head of the cable that needs the large hole. I'd really like to install a SmartPlug without needing a cover plate. ETI won't install the SmartPlug for me. (I'm not complaining, gosh knows they're doing a lot of other things!) I suspect that if I had them install the detachable power cord, I could retrofit to a SmartPlug without needing a filler plate, but that will cost me an extra $150.

Shucks!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Looks like the lid just drops down and locks the cord in similar to the 7 pin connector. Easier than dealing with the sometimes temperamental lock ring.
The primary locking feature is the set of levers on the sides; these replace the twist-to-lock feature of the NEMA L5-30 connector. The annoying "lock ring" of typical RV connectors is sort of superfluous for latching, and really exists to hold the weather hood on; the SmartPlug's integral gasket replaces the weather hood.

I hadn't noticed the tab on the cover and matching notch in the cable end before; it appears to be a secondary latch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Great work as always, Pat. You're state of the art now, and love the setup of that system. I wonder if they will make a 90 degree cord adaptor to relieve the cord strain like the Marinco etc systems have. I have a 90 adaptor on order that will eliminate the threaded connector ring on the trailer end and give me an EZ lock ring to hook the cord to the trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I suspect that if I had them install the detachable power cord, I could retrofit to a SmartPlug without needing a filler plate, but that will cost me an extra $150.
Then perhaps a scheme would be to buy the optional detachable cord, then replace it with the SmartPlug and sell the complete removable cord system (inlet and cordset) to someone else... recovering at least some of the cost of the option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
interesting product....nice install

this Smartplug product is perhaps unique in that it has this feature.
"Built-in Thermostat - Shuts off power in the case of Overheating"

a user needs to be aware of this feature should the power shut off and include this feature in the user's analysis when trying to determine why the power is off.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Nice work. I'm sure you'll find it more convenient than stuffing a wet cord inside under the berth.

Ron
Hi Ron did another electrical on the trailer . Getting my confidence . Yes no struggling at all , no rings , the sides very easy push in to remove . Just push in , it locks in place , then the top comes down and locks into a little tab to hold it .3 locks so to speak . Nice led lamp to tell you if you have power .Had to change the cord out . There are fingers inside that we're breaking off . Cheap plastic. The main reason was last trip , it was cold and the darn cord was tangled and had to get under bed remove my ply panel etc. what a pain . It was poring rain also at the time and needed to hook up . That did it . Going to get the stainless cable for the coax inlet next . Sprucing up the exterior some . By the way love the little giant ladder , has been used lots , not just on trailer . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Both this and the Furrion look great!

I wish we could get ETI to figure out something that allowed us to retrofit these without big hole left from the attached power cable. It's not the cable, but the head of the cable that needs the large hole. I'd really like to install a SmartPlug without needing a cover plate. ETI won't install the SmartPlug for me. (I'm not complaining, gosh knows they're doing a lot of other things!) I suspect that if I had them install the detachable power cord, I could retrofit to a SmartPlug without needing a filler plate, but that will cost me an extra $150.

Shucks!
Yes if you order Escapes detachable cord it just is a simple change out like Robert's picture . The hole will be smaller and not need any extra plate . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The primary locking feature is the set of levers on the sides; these replace the twist-to-lock feature of the NEMA L5-30 connector. The annoying "lock ring" of typical RV connectors is sort of superfluous for latching, and really exists to hold the weather hood on; the SmartPlug's integral gasket replaces the weather hood.

I hadn't noticed the tab on the cover and matching notch in the cable end before; it appears to be a secondary latch.
Hi Brian yes it is , the lid also latches down . This is a great system . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Then perhaps a scheme would be to buy the optional detachable cord, then replace it with the SmartPlug and sell the complete removable cord system (inlet and cordset) to someone else... recovering at least some of the cost of the option.
Or see if Reace would just leave the standard cordset coiled inside with no hole drilled in the shell. This complicates plugging in until the mod is complete but you have what you want in the end without the additional expense of the removable cord option from ETI. If the U-shaped dinette is ordered the cord may be able to be routed out the passenger side access hatch in the short term.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
interesting product....nice install

this Smartplug product is perhaps unique in that it has this feature.
"Built-in Thermostat - Shuts off power in the case of Overheating"

a user needs to be aware of this feature should the power shut off and include this feature in the user's analysis when trying to determine why the power is off.
Talked to them on the phone . No longer the thermostat . These are also made for boaters and they listen and removed . It was a problem for them because they could think the power was off , go working on their boat and the power comes back on . Not good . It is no longer in the cords . Pat