Generator - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Your generator mount is identical to mine. I ordered a receiver tube insert and cut it to maybe 16 inches...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...then set the generator attached to the mount on top of the receiver tube to determine the center of balance and marked the plate...then drilled clearance holes through the generator mount and tapped the top of the receiver tube...maybe 6 places and installed and loctited Grade 8 5/16-18 bolts. When the generator is mounted the bolt heads are inaccessible under the generator.

I then installed a locking hitch pin to secure it into the receiver

...with a Hitch Tightener to keep everything tight and quiet.

We camped under shaded cover for over 2 weeks in Glacier using the new Honda 2200i generator and I wanted to give you an update (since I went to the dark side)..

Each day at 8:00 AM I started the generator and it automatically shut off when the batteries were fully charged before 10:00 AM each morning via the Victron Battery Monitor programmable relay control. During the night we ran the DC Refer, a CPAP machine with humidifier, and propane heater with DC blower fan. During the day, when we are gone, the broken rays of sunlight on my solar panels kept the batteries up at 100% until the sun went down around 9:00 PM, dark at 10:00 PM. All the time my Nova Kool RFU8000 DC refrigerator kept everything cooled and frozen at set temperatures. Following the trip, when I got home, I completed the generator control wiring by installing a BMW power outlet (Powerlet) at the rear of the trailer below the right rear taillight to control power to the propane solenoid from the Victron Battery Monitor. I am very pleased that my generator shut off automatically when the batteries were fully charged and it always took less than 2 hours.

Because I cannot leave anything alone...and am now using more propane when camped in shade cover, I up-sized my propane bottles from 20 lbs to 30 lbs and that also works fine.

My total trailer weight is now 4200 lbs with a full water tank + generator on the back, four 6 volt batteries; 2 on the front and 2 in back, 3 solar panels with controller and 30" propane tanks on the front, nothing in the other tanks nor clothes or refer food. I figure we will be at 4500 lbs maximum when ready to camp. My tongue weight is at 500 lbs with the tongue at level using an Equalizer WDH.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, nice integration between generator and propane and solar....
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, nice integration between generator and propane and solar....
Thanks Jim! Are you going to upgrade again when Escape comes out with their 5.0.0.01 TA...Oh, Sorry, you still have a 19", or when your propane tanks run dry, I have a few additional mods for you!...
Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Out of curiosity what did you use to connect the front batteries to the rear ones?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
My total trailer weight is now 4200 lbs with a full water tank + generator on the back, four 6 volt batteries; 2 on the front and 2 in back, 3 solar panels with controller and 30" propane tanks on the front, nothing in the other tanks nor clothes or refer food. I figure we will be at 4500 lbs maximum when ready to camp. My tongue weight is at 500 lbs with the tongue at level using an Equalizer WDH.
Steve: Nice integration of systems. Are the batteries charging to full in 2 hours with the stock WFCO converter or did you upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics or other? Also I thought the GVWR of the classic 19’s was only 4000#. Are you concerned at all with your overall weight?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Out of curiosity what did you use to connect the front batteries to the rear ones?
I used 1/0 gauge welding cable

Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Steve: Nice integration of systems. Are the batteries charging to full in 2 hours with the stock WFCO converter or did you upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics or other? Also I thought the GVWR of the classic 19’s was only 4000#. Are you concerned at all with your overall weight?
I put in a Powermax 45 amp converter and the batteries are often fully charged in 1 1/2 hrs. I check the frame regularly and haven't seen any cracking as seen on other 19s.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
I put in a Powermax 45 amp converter and the batteries are often fully charged in 1 1/2 hrs. I check the frame regularly and haven't seen any cracking as seen on other 19s.
The additional weight of your modifications could be a good load test of the undersized frame. In the frame upgrade instructions escape stated that 3/16 inch thick tubing was used for the a-frame section and 1/8 inch thick tubing was used for the rear rails where the cracking/breaking is occuring. Wonder if problems with the rear of the trailer will show up.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I built a generator mount based on the one by hotfishtacos. My wife tired of the gasoline smell with the generator in the back of our SUV. We are camping at 6000 feet and I can confirm that my Honda 2000i powered my air conditioner.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hello All,
I quickly read throw this thread and say man I wish I was as smart as these guys and had a clue what they are talking about. We just bought our 2014 21' Escape and like many of you we are moving up from a Casita. When we bought a generator I was worried that the smaller Honda would not run anything but the AC so after some research and Cabela's having a one day sale I bought the Champion 3100got a steal $650.00 NEW not refurbished. We then took off the two propane tanks, mounted a 30lb side mount tank, had a rack for the generator and rack for bikes mounted above that. Really worked great, was a little worried about tongue weight but the two times I towed it with everything no issues.

Not sure how often in the near future anyway we will be camping where generator is needed but guess that is something I will need to work on with our new home on wheels.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
We then took off the two propane tanks, mounted a 30lb side mount tank, had a rack for the generator and rack for bikes mounted above that.
A horizontal tank, like this?

(image from Amazon listing)

Nice setup, if you can get the tank out easily for filling... and if you have a place to top up on propane before a trip without paying for a full tank (since you presumably have only one tank). A FiberglassRV member used a forklift tank, which (if you have the right fill valve on it) can be filled at a metered bulk station, so you only pay for what the tank needs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes, just like that picture.

Be sure to enjoy the day,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks Steve.

Enjoy your Escape, and please let us know if you do any mods like this... it would be interesting see how they work out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote