GlowSteps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
GlowSteps

Has anyone replaced the factory step with these? If so, what number of steps did you use and how easy was the installation?

GlowStep Revolution | scissor steps connect RV to ground level for towables, fifth wheels and side entry campers | Torklift International

They are pricey but look like they would be very stable for my elderly relatives; not to mention the reduction in trailer shake when getting in and out.

Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Has anyone replaced the factory step with these? If so, what number of steps did you use and how easy was the installation?

GlowStep Revolution | scissor steps connect RV to ground level for towables, fifth wheels and side entry campers | Torklift International

They are pricey but look like they would be very stable for my elderly relatives; not to mention the reduction in trailer shake when getting in and out.

Steve
Steve: I'm not sure you will have an issue with the stock single step. Escapes aren't that high. The one post I found where a double step was installed it was ultimately removed. Also these appear to be made for higher RV's with a larger recess to store the steps. With the tandem axles and the stabilizers down you will have very little shaking of the trailer. I think your better investment is an interior grab handle. These steps may be great for other RV's, but this looks like a solution in search of a problem when it comes to an Escape.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...step-3967.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ndle-9197.html
(Scroll down to see examples of interior handles)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Steve: I'm not sure you will have an issue with the stock single step. Escapes aren't that high.
I was thinking the same thing. Why over complicate something like the steps? I can understand if there is some severe handicap issue, but the single step on the Escape is quite solid. Even if there is the slightest flex, it will in no way affect it's use. There is a grab handle conveniently placed on by the entry door, and if really needed another can be installed inside.

Like anything, I would highly recommend getting the trailer and trying it out, see how the steps perform, and then if you see issue, make modifications to improve for your situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Why over complicate something like the steps? I can understand if there is some severe handicap issue, but the single step on the Escape is quite solid. Even if there is the slightest flex, it will in no way affect it's use. There is a grab handle conveniently placed on by the entry door, and if really needed another can be installed inside.

Like anything, I would highly recommend getting the trailer and trying it out, see how the steps perform, and then if you see issue, make modifications to improve for your situation.
Hi: Jim Bennett... I agree!!! One step at a time. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
SCS

Good input. I don't plan to spend that kind of money until I confirm a need. They are pretty cool though.

Steve
Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Good input. I don't plan to spend that kind of money until I confirm a need. They are pretty cool though.

Steve
Good idea Steve. From the pictures of the new 19 with the step out you can get a good idea of what you are dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
ExteriorPassengerSide.jpg   ExteriorRearDriversSide.jpg   ExteriorAwningOpen.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

Steve
To me, it looks like a whole lot of nooks and crannies for mud and sticks and a pain to clean and lubricate.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
SCS

Thanks for the responses and pics. I really don't think now that those would work since there is no room for stowage and even the two step version might be too tall. I will probably just cobble up something to support the factory step from the ground and an additional grab handle that can be used when camping with older relatives.

Steve
Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Thanks for the responses and pics. I really don't think now that those would work since there is no room for stowage and even the two step version might be too tall. I will probably just cobble up something to support the factory step from the ground and an additional grab handle that can be used when camping with older relatives.

Steve
Get a freestanding platform step like we have. It works great and the legs are individually height adjustable. https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Step-F...rv+safety+step
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

Steve
We have a double step and an inside handle as wifey has two bad knees. Pretty simple install - the single step bolts to the inside of the outriggers, the double step bolts to the outsides. Have to drill a couple mounting holes and remove the back brace from the top of the double. No problem with storing it as it folds easily
Attached Thumbnails
step5.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Steve: Again, not sure you will need it, but happened to come across this that might help if you find the stock step a good height but not stable enough. Always good to have options.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43671-Se.../dp/B0024ECHII
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
SCS

All good thoughts. Once I get the trailer I'll figure out which will work best.

Steve
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Steve: Again, not sure you will need it, but happened to come across this that might help if you find the stock step a good height but not stable enough. Always good to have options.

www.amazon.com/Camco-43671-Self-Stor-Step/dp/B0024ECHII
Another one from eTrailer. Might be made a bit nicer than the Camco brand. Suggestion in a couple of the reviews is to use two on the ends vs. one in the middle.

www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/Stromberg-Carlson/JSS-85.html
Old 03-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had one of these on my 21' Escape, thinking about getting another one for my 19....they do add rigidity to the step.