Ham Operators? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Ham Operators?

Any other hams here?

Just passed my technician exam in March and am going for my General tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Question:
I have an Escape 19' on order and would like to know what additional outlets or wiring would be useful for for ham radio operation inside the trailer. for example, would an extra electrical outlet be useful off the rear driver side? etc?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Lisa
KK4PXC
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Lisa

Some things to consider:
  • Will you want AC power when you are not connected to external power -- might need dual batteries and an inverter, and perhaps even a solar panel
  • Will you want to have an external antenna? Might be an idea to have wiring for that installed when the trailer is being built.
  • Where are you planning to operate your radio? You might need a place to stow the gear that is convenient for you.

If you go to the Escape Trailer Industries website you will see inside photos of the 19 foot trailer. You can always use a power bar to increase the number of outlets.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
Lisa

Some things to consider:
  • Will you want AC power when you are not connected to external power -- might need dual batteries and an inverter, and perhaps even a solar panel
  • Will you want to have an external antenna? Might be an idea to have wiring for that installed when the trailer is being built.
  • Where are you planning to operate your radio? You might need a place to stow the gear that is convenient for you.

If you go to the Escape Trailer Industries website you will see inside photos of the 19 foot trailer. You can always use a power bar to increase the number of outlets.
Thanks Brian. I am already ordering the solar, dual batteries and an inverter. The problem with the wiring is that I wouldn't know what wiring to ask for. Is it enough to say "please prewire for an external Ham radio antenna?" Storage probably won't be an issue as I'm considering a mobile base unit.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: '07 17B
I'm a Ham! VE7GKH. What radios are you thinking of to take with you? Most will operate off of 12V. I have an extra battery that i take when i take my radios. If it's just 2M, then i have a portable handheld unit along with the one in my truck. If i take my HF unit, then i run it of the extra battery, but if i knew i was going to where there were hookups, then i would probably take my power supply, but it's not needed. I use my antenna that's on my truck for 2M. For HF, i use a wire antenna that you could string up at camp (but i rarely take my HF camping). So, if you just take a dedicated battery for your radios, along with the means to recharge via your solar panel, you should be good to go! 73, Gary
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you will probably set up at the dinette so you would want an inverter outlet there to operate off your batteries. Otherwise as Gary points out extra 12v outlets at the dinette maybe all you need. Antenna hookup, not sure what is needed, perhaps a coaxial outlet on street side up front where you can hook up an external antenna?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I installed a 12vdc outlet in the front wall of the driver's side front bench seat using banana jacks. It runs through a 20 amp fuse. There is also a 120vac outlet there. We don't bring an AC power supply on trips, we just use the 12 volts and cut the output power on the IC706MKIIG down to around 10-12 watts. I used to run mobile and have a setup on the truck roof rack to hold an antenna. I just plug a Hustler into the antenna holder when I want to run the radio. Are you coming to the Osoyoos rally? If so, I could show you the setup.

Doug & Kathy
VE7DRF & VE7KDD
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #7

Would love to come to BC .. Just can't take the time off from work.

Passed the General exam. YAY! Now I can focus on more fun things ... Like buying the hardware! Think I'll try to keep it simple for now until I have a better grasp on what I really need/ want. Lots of good ideas here. I'm going to work on my mobile radio for my truck.