Hard Spare Tire Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Hard Spare Tire Cover

Not complete yet the metal parts need to be painted . But this is what it looks like when put together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0232.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	26442

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Cool. Is it enclosed from the back so wasps can't build hives inside? If so, we could use something like that!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Looks good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
That looks very good ..... are you going to spill the beans with all the juicy details?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Cool. Is it enclosed from the back so wasps can't build hives inside? If so, we could use something like that!
No it is not, I am not sure with out doing a complete mounted enclosure you would be able to fully enclose a spare tire. The enclosure and mounting system would have to be designed for it sorry.

If you are having them get between the cover and the wheel you can take the wheel down zip tie a piece of screening on the back side punch the lug holes and put the wheel back up and cover on. If they are building on the back side of the wheel I use a coating of air craft grade solid film protectant oil on the back side wipe it on and leave it. Nothing builds nests here in the Mid Atlantic on that stuff .

Zip Chem 002057 Aero-Lube D-5263NS / ZC-5263 Bulk Aircraft Cable Lube & Rust Preventive - 12 oz Aerosol Can at SkyGeek.com#

Cypher
Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
That looks very good ..... are you going to spill the beans with all the juicy details?
Yes with pictures and tool hardware so if someone else wants to do it they can. I did it one way as I own equipment a lot of folks don't . So I will also tell you how to do it with hand tools.

When it is completely done .

Cypher
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

As Promised Hard Cover Spare Tire

Well as promised Hard Spare Tire Cover Mount:
There are at least two other ways to do this that I can think of but both would require even more metal fabrication / welding skills then most might have. If you do then have at it and you would have no need to read this post :} This post is long and involved to fully explain how I did this for those that might wish to attempt it but have not done this kind of work. If you have skip down to the pictures you can figure out how I did it from them. If you want to dissect how I did it feel free I accomplished it my way post pictures and instructions of your way when completed. If you wish to debate materials and procedures feel free I am sure you can find someone who will I will not. Google will not tell you real world answers bare that in mind.
This is not a mod that can be done by a true novice the tools needed alone would be cost prohibitive. Unless you are comfortable with drilling metal and tapping holes and extending threads with a die on an already threaded rod or have a lathe to make the mounting stud. It also will require metal drilling bits I suggest 135 Deg Split Tip Cobalt’s for general drilling of metal and oil or bees wax / BOE lube for drill bit cooling. You will also be using a half inch portable drill if you are not used to it put the handle on if you have one it WILL twist your wrist before you can let go of the trigger if the drill bit catches. When drilling mild steel moderate speed on bits less than 3/16’s SLOW on larger bits. You will also need a way to cut ¼” Alum or Steel for the back support and front support pieces high speed air cutter, hacksaw, sawz all, jig saw or if you happen to have a plasma cutter / cnc machine in your shop they would work the best. The back and front support are mirror layouts just scaled for the size of the material the photo is a representation I lost the original or did not take one so the layout shown is not to scale done on a scrap piece of alum.
This mod is on a 2011 Escape 19 using the same thread size as the lug nuts used on the trailer and to hold the spare tire on, Check your lug nuts before purchasing the drill / tap / die/ rod stock/ hardware take one off and go to a GOOD hardware store they will have a thread gauge.
I have already posted where to get the hard spare tire cover in this thread but I will add it into this post so it is all together. http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/plasticcovers.asp?Vehicletype=RV
Tools Required:
Drill capable of chucking a 29/64’s / .4531 drill bit (Half Inch Drill Chuck)
Cobalt Split Tip 135 Deg drills ( I used numbered and fractional but lettered works in place of numbered whatever you have in metal drilling bits the only one that really matters is the 29/64’s for the tap. Do not attempt to drill to the final hole size in one shot the drill bit can walk and wobble while drilling creating a hole that will not hold threads very well.
Step drill sizes
1) #30 or 1/8” or L
2) #10 or 3/16” or V
3) 5/16” or O
4) ½”
5) 29/64’s
6) ½ Counter sink any degree just using it for hole deburring after drilling.
Tap and die ½” -20 NF
Oil or BeesWax / BOE Lube for drilling
Tapeze or Oil for Tap and Die
Blue Loctite for Stud (Blue can be undone Red not without a torch)
High Speed Cutter (Pneumatic) or as stated above hacksaw, sawz all, jig saw, plasma, cnc machine
Files and Sanding supplies
Vise
Wrenches to fit the lug nuts and jamb nuts (Adjustable 8” and 12” if that is all you have)
Tape measure
Dividers or Compass
Small level
Silver Marker or Grease Pencil
Paint Color of Choice (If you choose to use alum no paint is required)

Materials needed:
1 ea 8” min Rod threaded on both ends 3” you can use longer add thread and cut off what you do not need after fit up and adjusting for tension on the cover. (Find a Truck Spring Shop they have rod stock threaded in varying lengths if not a machine shop but it will cost more there)
1 ez 5” Sq ¼” 2024 T3 Alum or 7075 T6 Alum soft alum will not hold the threads but no paint is required, Steel same dimensions stainless will be pricey and a bit harder to tap but is doable. (Scrap Yard or Metal Shop)
1 ea 4” Sq ¼” 2024 T3 Alum or 7075 T6 Alum soft alum will not hold the threads but no paint is required, Steel same dimensions stainless will be pricey and a bit harder to tap but is doable. (Scrap Yard or Metal Shop)
1 ea Wing Nut thread size and pitch that matches your lug nuts (Good Hardware Store)
3 ea Jamb Nuts in the thread size that matches your lug nuts (Jamb nuts are half the height of normal nuts) (Good Hardware Store)
3 ea Stainless or galvanized fender washers
1 ea spare lug nut matching your lug nut size and thread pitch

After you have gathered everything:

1) Trace Center of Spare Rim on to the mount an remove the spare tire.
2) Mark the center of the trace you can use the dividers or tape measure and level.
3) Check the center clears the spare tire plate mounting tubing with enough space to drill and tap.
4) Drill to full size in steps 1-6 as stated above Chamfer hole slightly to remove burr with the countersink
5) Tap hole for correct thread remember to use a lubricant matching your lug nut thread pitch
6) Mark and drill center of hard spare tire cover with the half inch drill bit.
7) On the threaded rod thread the lug nut on cone end pointed out till 3 threads from the shank, thread the jamb nut on behind it.
8) Remount the spare tire.
9) On the side that the cover attaches to spin the backer plate on till 6 threads from the shank.
10) Place the cover on and check fit adjust for how tight you want the cover I suggest the center of cover should be pulled in approx ½” to prevent flutter in the air flow from under the trailer.
11) Once adjusted for correct depth by threading the rod in or out, adding threads to the spare tire plate side and or cutting the rod down you can mark it for drilling of lock hole if you are going to use one. Check depth of rod and overall length of rod extending from the spare tire mount plate.
12) Remove cover and rod Assembly paint the exposed shank as it will rust if you do not.
13) Once everything is painted reinstall again using blue lock tite on the threads going into the spare tire mount plate. Spin jamb nut down and put approx ¼ to ½ turn on It , then spin the lug nut down on it same amount of turns approx.
14) Spin Jamb nut on cover side then backer plate, cover, fender washer, front plate , fender washer, wing nut .
15) Tighten and install lock. All in all done
16) You will have spare washer and jamb nuts put them in the trailer in case of loss when changing spare tire.

Pictures of hardware and installation:
Attached Thumbnails
PlateTools.jpg   ThreadingPlate.jpg   StudInstallation.jpg   SettingDepths.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #8

Name:	Backanfrontsupport.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	26625

Name:	DrillandTap.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	26626