Heating "nightmares" - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I'm in southern Arizona now, and it was 27F this morning at Lost Dutchman State Park. Since I have hookups, I am using an old (1986) Pelonis Disk Heater that has a variable speed fan & heating output. Set it for a temperature & it comes on at full wattage (1500) then, as the trailer warms up the fan & wattage drop. Usually, it gets almost silent & draws around 300 watts when the nighttime temperatures are in the 40's, although last night it ran at about 1/2 speed & around 800 watts. Still much quieter than the furnace.

It usually takes a couple of days off the grid to get used to the furnace noise, but I do adjust so I can sleep through it...

Old 12-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
The down side of heat by propane is inside condensation.
Propane has nothing to do with condensation. The furnace exhausts to the outside so nothing from the burner chamber enters the trailer.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I was referring to a stand alone catalytic heater. Over the coarse of a night you will get condensation! I used a Wave heater connected to the trailer propane for many years at high elevation for quiet, off grid heat. As a side note: Mr. Buddy will not operate above 4K because of a built in oxygen sensor.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Trailer: Hoping to buy an Escape soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Propane has nothing to do with condensation. The furnace exhausts to the outside so nothing from the burner chamber enters the trailer.

baglo
Since he was referencing a Wave Catalytic heater, which does not vent to the outside, condensation WILL be an issue with this heater, as well as more CO and less O2 inside the trailer. These three issues are the reason for needing both an upper and lower vent in the trailer when in use. With proper venting, there is almost no danger (we have used a Wave6 Catalytic heater for 100+ nights in previous rigs, and still live!). The benefit for a catalytic heater is that they are ~98% efficient (vs. around 70% for a vented furnace) and use ZERO battery power (no fan, no noise).
AimlessWanderLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
The down side of heat by propane is inside condensation.
This is only an issue if the propane heater is unvented; that it, it exhausts into the trailer interior, as with most catalytic heaters and the common Mr Heater Buddy models. This is true of burning any fuel, including kerosene or alcohol, not just propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Absolutely true... for a furnace, which is externally vented.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessWanderLust View Post
The benefit for a catalytic heater is that they are ~98% efficient (vs. around 70% for a vented furnace)...
This is true of any unvented heater. You get all the heat, along with all the combustion products (water, carbon dioxide, unburned fuel, carbon monoxide...), minus what happens to go out the window.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Missed that.
I think most of the condensation, though, is coming from your lungs, until you stop breathing.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #18

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Poor performance of the furnace in our pop up had us looking for alternatives. We ended up using a ceramic heater while on the grid, and a Buddy catalytic heater when not. The buddy heater was a God send many a night in the fall and early winter.

Amazon.com - Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4, 000-9, 000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater - Space Heaters

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
Cyclopath: There aren't any reviews for it, but here's a 12-volt heater for when you're off the grid.
12V All-Season Heater/Fan - Roadpro RPSL-581 - Fans - Camping World
I actually have one of these and tried it. Uses up batteries very fast. It is more designed for a vehicle where the battery is being renewed by the alternator.

One thing to keep the cycling of the furnace and the temp more consistent is to replace the thermostat with a digital one. There is a thread on this. Ours has made a difference in our sleeping. It doesn't get too cold before it comes on and then the furnace doesn't run so long. Ours is a LUX purchased on Amazon. Easy 2 wire install.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I lived and worked in Colorado for several years, spending most of my off time outdoors climbing, hiking, camping, fishing, and enjoying everything the Rockies had to offer.
I never had an Atwood in my last (hard tent). Never missed it while camping mostly in US national parks, and national and state forest campgrounds off grid including some winter camping. My Wave 3 was approved for tent and RV use. They are highly rated by those that hate noisy furnace fans, generators, and dead batteries. Safe if you read and follow the recommended manufactures instructions for installation, usage, and care.

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote