Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It might not help much with clawing the scrren, but if it is just pushing though (or visibility) which is a concern, two or three of these across the bottom half might be effective: Screen Door Cross Bar.
This, of course, is for a conventional hinged door (although bi-fold, so you would need to use two short bars per row). It's been a long time since I first saw an Escape with a screen door, and I now understand that they've gone to a roll-up door since then, for which mine would not be a useful suggestion... unless you convert to a conventional screen door? Add a baby gate?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Sandra, interested in spray glitter paint u used...chemical composition that doesn't affect screen. What is brand?
Diane
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I don't know why my photos can't be enlarged when clicking on it. All of the others seem to. Anyway, the screen saver is made with yarn. Kathy traced the shapes onto the screen with chalk and I stood inside and she outside and we passed the needle with the yarn in it back and forth through the screen. We didn't want to use paint because some paints would melt the plastic screen and with lots of use, the paint would likely peel off over time. So far, our method has worked perfectly.

By the way, ours is the roll-away screen in our 19.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees View Post
Sandra, interested in spray glitter paint u used...chemical composition that doesn't affect screen. What is brand?
Diane
I used Krylon "Glitter Blast". It says it is OK for use on plastic, Styrofoam, and lots of other substrates that are not germane to this discussion. I have purchased, but not used a product called Glitter Silver spray by Design Master (?) which indicates safe for use on plastic as well. I got it at Walmart I think. I have had some flaking, and a topcoat of "Glitter Blast" clear sealer is recommended, which I did not do. I do not use my screen a whole lot, so don't know if the flaking was temporary, but it hasn't been noticeable and may have been a bit of overspray on my part. My screen has not dissolved.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Thanks Sandra, will look into, see if I can find around here. Do understand need to be cautious. Heard wd40 dissolved someone's screen!
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #26

Wow! That is news to me. I will really be careful when spraying that on my snaps on the rock guards, as well as the hatch locks. Thanks so much for the heads up. I don't recall the screen manufacturer, but I think some replacement parts are available. However, I am sure it would be a big pain to replace.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wouldn't use WD-40 on the snaps or the arms for the awning either.
I have a white grease ( which is locked in my cargo box at the moment ) that lubricates without attracting dirt ( according to the label ). I use it on anything that has to move. Comes in a spray can. Don't lose the straw because you apply very little.
I'll dig it out tomorrow and hope I can still read the label.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
"... unless you convert to a conventional screen door? Add a baby gate?"

We use a wooden baby gate in front of our screen door and it fits/works perfectly to keep everyone inside (we do have to lift the counter extension when installing, however). Of course, we haven't taken our cat yet but it works great for our small, over-exuberant Spaniel/Papillon mix as well as our Border Collie.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sounds like a good idea I've been worried about my standard schnauzer busting through the screen.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wouldn't use WD-40 on the snaps or the arms for the awning either.
I have a white grease ( which is locked in my cargo box at the moment ) that lubricates without attracting dirt ( according to the label ). I use it on anything that has to move. Comes in a spray can. Don't lose the straw because you apply very little.
I'll dig it out tomorrow and hope I can still read the label.
Thanks for the heads up Glenn. What do you think of silicone spray?
I also have some stuff I bought that is supposed to be a dry lubricant. It says it is made with PTFE (whatever that is) and says it can be used on almost any surface "even plastics". Do you know anything about that?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #31

I'm no expert. Not even close.
I only recently learned to read the label before buying something.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I also have some stuff I bought that is supposed to be a dry lubricant. It says it is made with PTFE (whatever that is) and says it can be used on almost any surface "even plastics". Do you know anything about that?
Hi Sandra PTFE is basically the non stick coating on frying pans (polytetrafluoroethylene). If you are spraying it make sure not to breath it as it has a carcinogenic in it PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) which is nasty stuff.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #33

PTFE - which is as Doug & Eileen described it - is commonly known by DuPont's tradename for it, which is Teflon.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
PTFE = Teflon
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #35

Once again, thanks to you all. Its amazing what labels don't divulge. Actually, being in California there are required warnings and the label indicates that the substance may cause cancer and/or birth defects and also warns that inhaling the contents may be fatal. All this without saying it is teflon.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
PTFE = Teflon
Not quite "equal"... Teflon is PTFE, but not all PTFE is Teflon®. It is the same material, chemically.

Quote:
Its amazing what labels don't divulge. Actually, being in California there are required warnings and the label indicates that the substance may cause cancer and/or birth defects and also warns that inhaling the contents may be fatal. All this without saying it is teflon.
It doesn't say it's "teflon" because it probably isn't Teflon®. That's a trade name, and would not be appropriate for technical information, or for any use on a product not using PTFE from DuPont and branded that way.

Similarly, things made from clear acrylic sheet don't say they're made of Plexiglas® (unless they are), polycarbonate isn't necessarily Lexan®, and so on.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #37

My wife works at a kitchen supply store and constantly has to explain to customers that the Teflon that caused concern in the past is not the same formulation that is used today. That, and that it only was a concern when people used very high heat.
So, unless you are planning on burning eggs on your hitch ball, there should be no problem.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #38

Thanks guys.