Hermione II, Mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Hermione II, Mods

I wanted to share some of the additions we have made to our trailer since we picked it up last year. Some are still works in progress.

One of my favorite upgrades so far has been the Furrion 30 Amp Conversion Kit. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this product. Its very easy to install, and looks way better than the "mouse hole" I previously had for hooking up power. I enjoy having a detachable cord and it makes a secure watertight connection. It even has a blue LED to indicate power. This one was well worth the money.

I don't have a good shot of the installation but will try to post one soon.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #2

Fridge Fans

I added my own baffle ventilation fans that have a built in thermistor. I also hardwired an internal fan to circulate the air inside the fridge. Both fans are turned on by a switch I added to the front panel. When I drilled the hole I applied a bit too much force and dented the panel above the switch. Overall i'm happy with the install and it has helped the fridge performance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0377.jpg   IMG_0546.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
With furniture they would call that a "character mark". You are probably the only one that will notice it. Othwrwise looks good and hope it does help
Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sean, I have the Furrion kit sitting in a box at home. Just have to find the time (and a day that isn't overwhelmingly hot) to install it. Glad to hear you like it. In looking at the kit, it's very good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
When I drilled the hole I applied a bit too much force and dented the panel above the switch.
Bah! You're the only one who would notice it now and down the road a few months, even you will just shrug and think no big deal. That's one of those "been there, done that" doo-hickies, and I'm a lot older than you so I know these things.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy;151576
One of my favorite upgrades so far has been the [URL="https://amzn.com/B004XN57UI"
Furrion 30 Amp Conversion Kit.[/URL] I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this product. Its very easy to install, and looks way better than the "mouse hole" I previously had for hooking up power. I enjoy having a detachable cord and it makes a secure watertight connection. It even has a blue LED to indicate power. This one was well worth the money.
Welcome to the "prefer a detachable cord club". For my first trailer I did the retro-fit. For the Escape it was a no brainer, ordered it as an option.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
One of my favorite upgrades so far has been the Furrion 30 Amp Conversion Kit. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this product.
I too like the look and quality of these connectors. I too converted my last trailer to a removable power cord, and loved the convenience of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just have to find the time (and a day that isn't overwhelmingly hot) to install it.
Aha!!!!
So you do admit to melting in that terrible heat?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Before ordering our 19, we happened to discuss RV's with an RV'er one morning. They described waking up in a bed full of ants after the ants entered thru the electrical cord opening. At that point, I decided I needed the removable cord! I'm sure the gasket works well, but there is No chance of ants entering the removable cord connection.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Hermione II, Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too like the look and quality of these connectors. I too converted my last trailer to a removable power cord, and loved the convenience of it.

Aha!!!!

So you do admit to melting in that terrible heat?

Yes. For 4 months it's dicey, and quite unpleasant to work outside. For 8 months the weather is downright paradise. I like the trade off!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes. For 4 months it's dicey, and quite unpleasant to work outside. For 8 months the weather is downright paradise. I like the trade off!
We have it much better then. We have 4 months of nice comfy summer weather, and 8 months of winter fun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I still don't understand the benefit to a removeable cord. Preventing bugs of any kind using the cord as a route into your trailer is easily prevented by applying a thin, 3 inch wide "schemer" of Vasaline on your cord near the entry point. The downside of the removable cord is an additional cost and, the chance of inadvertently leaving it at a campsite. What am I missing?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I still don't understand the benefit to a removeable cord. Preventing bugs of any kind using the cord as a route into your trailer is easily prevented by applying a thin, 3 inch wide "schemer" of Vasaline on your cord near the entry point. The downside of the removable cord is an additional cost and, the chance of inadvertently leaving it at a campsite. What am I missing?
Hi: Zardoz... Potentially the power cord!!! We have two of them due to the large sites in Provincial Pks. up here. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Fridge Light

Another addition I made to the fridge is this motion sensor light. It sticks anywhere with magnetic tape and charges by USB. A great solution for folks with the older model fridges, like the Dometic 2510.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The leaving it at a campsite has never even reared its head. How many times has one left their water hose at a campsite? Got rid of the pull out cord on my first Scamp and have done it on every trailer since. Hated pushing that cord in and out of the trailer and it took a lot of space that I reclaimed not to mention that it would get fouled up inside every now and then. Kinda a similar issue to folks that don't get the power tongue jack. Until you actually have one.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Having had both now, I can tell you that for me I just did not like the flimsy "mouse hole" receptacle that is used to snake out the power cord. The cover actually snapped off, which is why I replaced it. Also, on the Furrion I really like that the connector threads into the receptacle, making it very secure and water-tight / bug-free.

If they made a better receptacle for the umbilical types, I might not have bothered.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
The merits of a removable cord have been discussed a bunch before. I tell you, changing over on my 19 was one of my favourite mods, and I would not have it any other way. It was always a pain to pull out and push back in, often ending up tangled. Plus, most of the teeth in the hole were broken off as they do not do well in colder weather.

I too am on that just does not but the argument of leaving it behind. I really don't understand that logic. We put everything away, usually as we tear down, so the minute it is disconnected it is coiled and stowed in a bin.

Another argument for a fixed is that you can just pull out what you need. While this is true, it is real easy to leave the excess coiled under the trailer. Hoses must be fully extended, no big deal with the cable.

Though the potential is there, my decision was not based on bugs or rodents infiltrating the trailer, but purely on the ease of use.

I think maybe you need to try both to get a good idea why everyone who has done so much prefers the removable.

I have a fixed one on my temp trailer, and going back to one only affirms me desire for getting back to the removable when I get my new trailer.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We too do not have the removable cord . First off in previous RV 's the cord was in a nice container from the manufacturer with a door similar ,to the use to be fresh water door which I want back, to change back too ,they still sell them everywhere .almost have lost cap on ours because the lanyard broke . Only like to pull out what we need for electrical cord and not the whole thing on the ground . Have a rubber plug that goes around cord so it is sealed . Put a ply divider under bed to confine cord, no more tangles , because there is no containment box for cord . For us comfort like bed, sitting , bath , counters access are the most important . We have a nice home this is just our camper . Each to their own and what makes you happy . Because you don't see the reason for you to not have a removable cord , is OK in my book . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Hermione II, Mods

I'm going to do the mod for two reasons, and ironically, those seem to be the reasons for most of my mods: 1-) The Furrion looks cool. 2-) I like tweaking things.

None of my mods are along the lines of "oh, you must have this". To be perfectly honest, a stock Escape, completely unmodified, would more than suit us. The rest is FUN. To quote an oft used Donna-ism, YMMV.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, a stock Escape, completely unmodified, would more than suit us. The rest is FUN.
Something I like to stress too. There really is no right or wrong in doing many of these changes, it is what suits the individual best, both in practicality and fun. Plus taking pride in what you did.

In this case, as long as you have power, you are good to go no matter how the connection is made.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm going to do the mod for two reasons, and ironically, those seem to be the reasons for most of my mods: 1-) The Furrion looks cool. 2-) I like tweaking things.
If those are the reasons, then you might be interested in the SmartPlug inlet. Compared to NEMA L5-30 connectors (of which the Furrion is a particularly nice example) these have better latching, better sealing, and no separate screw-on weather cover needed. Overall, just a better design for the purpose; however, if it gets wrecked or lost there won't be a replacement in every RV parts store.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote