Hermione II, Mods - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Got no truck with pushing the power cord back inside the trailer. I like it. Plenty of room in there. Easier than rolling up 20 feet of loose cord. Never seen a bug or a mouse come near the opening. I do worry about that low-rent factory installed power cord plastic flap door. And, them plastic inside jagged baffles busting off. Now there’s a joke. When that inevitably happens, and I think it will because it’s so cheap and flimsy, I probably will get tired of fighting off field mice, mud daubers and small rabbits and replace with the thirty-two-dollar sealed flapper and the added power cord.

Until then what bugs me nearly as much is I can’t keep the 15 to 30 amp adapter plug on the retractable plug wire because there’s no room for it in the cavity.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If those are the reasons, then you might be interested in the SmartPlug inlet. Compared to NEMA L5-30 connectors (of which the Furrion is a particularly nice example) these have better latching, better sealing, and no separate screw-on weather cover needed. Overall, just a better design for the purpose; however, if it gets wrecked or lost there won't be a replacement in every RV parts store.
I looked at these a while back. They were quite pricey, over $200 CDN for just the cord end and inlet. Nice stuff though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Got no truck with pushing the power cord back inside the trailer. I like it. Plenty of room in there. Easier than rolling up 20 feet of loose cord. Never seen a bug or a mouse come near the opening. I do worry about that low-rent factory installed power cord plastic flap door. And, them plastic inside jagged baffles busting off. Now there’s a joke. When that inevitably happens, and I think it will because it’s so cheap and flimsy, I probably will get tired of fighting off field mice, mud daubers and small rabbits and replace with the thirty-two-dollar sealed flapper and the added power cord.

Until then what bugs me nearly as much is I can’t keep the 15 to 30 amp adapter plug on the retractable plug wire because there’s no room for it in the cavity.
Myron I hear you about the crappy electrical opening . I am going to probably add the electrical door or just put a new one on . They are cheap . We had talked to Reace himself about the removable cord and he said the exact same thing about mice and such , so we didn't get it . The fresh water though is a problem . Really like the door on it , never lost my cap with door . The sun uv 's rotted the lanyard that holds it on . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #24

Pat we must keep a close eye on our caps and ports.
Attached Thumbnails
waterport.jpg   plugport.jpg  
Old 07-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Pat we must keep a close eye on our caps and ports.
Myron your 's is broken too ! Pat
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I still don't understand the benefit to a removeable cord. Preventing bugs of any kind using the cord as a route into your trailer is easily prevented by applying a thin, 3 inch wide "schemer" of Vasaline on your cord near the entry point. The downside of the removable cord is an additional cost and, the chance of inadvertently leaving it at a campsite. What am I missing?
We use a malleable caulk at the opening. Someone here did leave a removable cord somewhere.

People like to change things and that is one of the things that they can change themselves. A removable cord also seems to have an aesthetic appeal to some.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Is there any reason to worry about someone coveting / "borrowing" a removable cord?

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
Is there any reason to worry about someone coveting / "borrowing" a removable cord?

I wouldn't think so. Most campers are decent folks. In any case, it wouldn't stop me from having one if I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
Although it would be easy to take and has significant value - a combination which generally invites theft - I've never heard of one being stolen. It would be really obvious to the owners if they were in the RV at the time, it would be very suspicious to anyone who saw it if someone carried a cord away from a campsite, and there are lots of things sitting around a campground (cords, hoses, fresh water gadgets such as filters and regulators, surge suppressors and fancier power boxes, grills, propane fire pits, generators, chairs, mats, pop-up shelters, bicycles, boats, propane tanks...) so it wouldn't stand out as the one thing to take.

I would only be concerned about theft of a detachable cord if it were used in a storage location, rather than a campground.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 19'
I saw the plastic pieces falling off and bought one of these to slide in the hole. It is a heavy piece of rubber and works well but when I saw it I thought "this was expensive"... probably have something to make it out of lying around.

AP Products 008-646 Climate Bug Shield

People will steal anything and everything ... I decided against the removable cord as it's just too tempting and have heard of folks having them stolen.
Attached Thumbnails
31DdLLI2WSL.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I saw the plastic pieces falling off and bought one of these to slide in the hole. It is a heavy piece of rubber and works well but when I saw it I thought "this was expensive"... probably have something to make it out of lying around.

People will steal anything and everything ... I decided against the removable cord as it's just too tempting and have heard of folks having them stolen.
Klem that is exactly what we have ! Pat
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Zardoz... Potentially the power cord!!! We have two of them due to the large sites in Provincial Pks. up here. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
True, but that's the value of an extension cord, not a removable one
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The leaving it at a campsite has never even reared its head. How many times has one left their water hose at a campsite? Got rid of the pull out cord on my first Scamp and have done it on every trailer since. Hated pushing that cord in and out of the trailer and it took a lot of space that I reclaimed not to mention that it would get fouled up inside every now and then. Kinda a similar issue to folks that don't get the power tongue jack. Until you actually have one.
Actually, although I can't site it, it has. When I was planning my build list, I posed this same question and one respondent said they had left theirs behind. I agree that it's highly unlikely tho.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #34

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The merits of a removable cord have been discussed a bunch before. I tell you, changing over on my 19 was one of my favourite mods, and I would not have it any other way. It was always a pain to pull out and push back in, often ending up tangled. Plus, most of the teeth in the hole were broken off as they do not do well in colder weather.

I too am on that just does not but the argument of leaving it behind. I really don't understand that logic. We put everything away, usually as we tear down, so the minute it is disconnected it is coiled and stowed in a bin.

Another argument for a fixed is that you can just pull out what you need. While this is true, it is real easy to leave the excess coiled under the trailer. Hoses must be fully extended, no big deal with the cable.

Though the potential is there, my decision was not based on bugs or rodents infiltrating the trailer, but purely on the ease of use.

I think maybe you need to try both to get a good idea why everyone who has done so much prefers the removable.

I have a fixed one on my temp trailer, and going back to one only affirms me desire for getting back to the removable when I get my new trailer.
Jim, you are a constant reminder to all of us that everyone can be satisfied by the variety of options made available. Different strokes, huh?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm going to do the mod for two reasons, and ironically, those seem to be the reasons for most of my mods: 1-) The Furrion looks cool. 2-) I like tweaking things.

None of my mods are along the lines of "oh, you must have this". To be perfectly honest, a stock Escape, completely unmodified, would more than suit us. The rest is FUN. To quote an oft used Donna-ism, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now THAT'S a compelling argument I can relate to!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Like many here, when I first started on my build sheet... I wanted it ALL. Then the budget reality struck. I started removing any item I thought I could add myself at a later date. Removable power cord and shiny wheels were two of those items. Decided I'd rather have custom Formica and flip-up tables more! It's a balancing act and everyone has to figure out what works best for them.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #37

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

So you have to keep taking that out of the hatch and off the electrical cable each time you need to get the plug through the Escape opening, yes?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #38

Well I looked up that Climate Bug Shield online, was all ready to buy one, until I saw the price. That was incentive enough to get me searching around the garage for alternatives. As luck would have it, there was an old inner tube I've been cutting up whenever I needed rubber sheet for a project. With contact cement applied to three circles and using a 5/8ths plug cutter, we have our new bug shield. Thank you, thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Plugport1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Necessity, the mother of invention. Nice job Myron.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Well I looked up that Climate Bug Shield online, was all ready to buy one, until I saw the price. That was incentive enough to get me searching around the garage for alternatives. As luck would have it, there was an old inner tube I've been cutting up whenever I needed rubber sheet for a project. With contact cement applied to three circles and using a 5/8ths plug cutter, we have our new bug shield. Thank you, thank you very much.
Hi Myron . The one we purchased was pricey but what are you going to do . Anyway it is thick hard rubber about 1/4 in thick . You want it to go inside the crappy plastic electrical opening so it will stay there until you remove it . Pat